Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Sep 2007 at 6:21 PM
Default New mesh appears highly shiny.
I have recently created a mannaquin for my Sims to use in clothing shops. As this is my first ever object creation I have come up against many problems but have either managed to find solutions in tutorials or simply by trial and error. This problem I can't seem to solve.
The whole object is very reflective/shiny as you can see in the attached picture. The object looks perfectly fine when game lighting is set to "Low" but on either "Medium" or "High" it becomes smooth and shiny.
I attempted to add a bumpmap but don't actually know if the game is bothering to read it as in my game it makes no difference to the way the object is lit.
I managed to find a reflectivity value and set it to 0 but nothing changed.
Anybody know how I can remove or at least lessen this shinyness?
I've attached the package so you can have a look at its guts.
Thanks in advance for any help I get.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Mannaquin.zip (257.5 KB, 16 downloads) - View custom content

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 12th Sep 2007 at 7:16 PM
In the material definition, you have reflectivity set to 0.0 which is maximum reflection :D

1 = off, or at least the minimum.

stdMatSpecCoef: 0.0,0.0,0.0 will kill it completely, its at 0.5,0.5,0.5 by default I believe.

stdMatSpecPower: also effects it, with a lower number being brighter.

Not sure about bump mapping, I'm still WAY too new at this

Jimbo-
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Sep 2007 at 8:36 PM Last edited by Menaceman44 : 12th Sep 2007 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Tested the suggestions
Well you seem to know a lot more than I do about these things. Thanks. I'll go and have a mess with those values and see what happens.

EDIT: RESULTS
Ok, so I tried altering the values you mentioned but non of them got rid of the plastic looking shine. I did however manage to make the mannaquin become black with a high gloss finish or reduce how much light would actually effect the texture yet still allow the shine to remain.
The thing looks as though somebody has covered it in food wrap!
Any more suggestions?

Test Subject
#4 Old 13th Sep 2007 at 12:07 AM
Heres the one I changed, I think it looks great

no reflection on my setup at all.

I changed stdMatSpecCoef: to 0.1,0.1,0.1

and set stdMatSpecPower: to 50 I believe.

Let me know what you see.

Jimbo-
Attached files:
File Type: zip  MESH_MM_afMannaquin.zip (223.5 KB, 12 downloads) - View custom content
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Sep 2007 at 1:23 PM
BRILLIANT! You are my saviour! It works perfectly. Thank you so much. Now all I have to do is update the material definition for the recolours I made.
I'll be sure to give you credit in the the upload post. :D

Test Subject
#6 Old 13th Sep 2007 at 2:59 PM
I'm glad it worked out

No credit needed, really, you did the hard parts :D

Jimbo-
Test Subject
#7 Old 3rd Nov 2023 at 8:53 PM
This worked thanks so much x