Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#76 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 5:41 PM Last edited by rasmy : 29th Apr 2006 at 7:46 PM. Reason: pics
Hi tiggerypum, your tutorial is great ^^ but (that's why i'm here ^^ I have some problem with

Part IV – Attaching Your New Mesh to the Temp Skin > 22) Go to the 3D ID Referencing File (3IDR).

I'll try to modify glasses and I have 21 files for 3D ID and not 1, so I dunno which files I must choose ?

EDIT :
I replace my shape and resource node in the 3IDR files where there are my old shape and resource node so I replaced in xxxx801, xxx1001, xxx4001
I followed the rest of tutorial...
In the end when I check my new glasses, I can only see my glasses lenses T__T.
I think I must modify my glasses lenses as I modified my glasses mesh.. but I dunno if that's why I can't see my glasses in bodyshop...
Advertisement
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#77 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 10:39 PM
Two things. Remember that meshtool is ONLY for moving vertices. If you do want to make totally new shapes, learn how to use unimesh.

Secondly, this tutorial thread is not the place for this question, it's way way beyond the scope of this tutorial. You will find information about modding accessories (and hair, they also have multiple 3dirs) in the InfoCenter articles about them. The articles are not tutorials, but there's as much info as I could gather/write for the moment in them.

If you've looked there and still have some confusion, start a new thread in the bodyshop meshing area. But I think you will find your answer.
Test Subject
#78 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 8:28 AM
Thanks for your answer tiggerypum, I totally forgot this "ONLY for moving vertices"about meshtool...
*have a hope to finish my glasses...*^^
Test Subject
#79 Old 3rd May 2006 at 2:01 PM
Okay I've done up to this step (great tutorial by the way, thanks )

Part V
31) Choose the Maya Object Exporter (.obj) and name your file something like Body1

I dont have this save choice in SimPE, have downloaded a lot of packages, so not sure if i've missed one or part of one somewhere.

You can also find some of my creations at http://www.spicysims.com
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#80 Old 3rd May 2006 at 2:28 PM
It comes with the base SimPE package. I just verified that it's in my recently downloaded SimPE .58. And I haven't added anything to my simpe, it's a base version.

You need to have clicked on the gmdc, so that the plugin view shows up (it's below the popup) with a big bluish box and the 'export' option. Then it's the 4 steps as marked. Make sure it's set to xyz, click on export, on the lower part, select the OBJ file exporter, then type in a filename (like body1)
Test Subject
#81 Old 4th May 2006 at 3:54 PM
Thanks for your quick reply.. I would slap myself silly for not following you instructions properly, part from my brain seems addled already. Just followed them 'properly' this time, thanks , might do the next stage tomorrow... part 32+ that is.

You can also find some of my creations at http://www.spicysims.com
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#82 Old 4th May 2006 at 5:33 PM
No beating yourself up allowed here. It's complicated. Darned complicated.
Test Subject
#83 Old 8th May 2006 at 12:19 AM
You think your confused? I'm confused. I download eveything and try to make my own but eh ..it doesent work..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Test Subject
#84 Old 8th May 2006 at 12:19 AM
Dear God!!!
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 8th May 2006 at 12:20 AM
On #48 when I tried to get the mesh tool to read the .obj file, it gave me a pop-up that said 'no uv map' or something to that effect. I used Wings with the vertice mapper, and I heard from somewhere that wings .obj files don't work with the mesh tool, and that people using wings should first create a uv map with uv mapper, and so I did. But when I checked the mesh after I finished the tutorial, the mesh didn't change. What did I do wrong?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#86 Old 8th May 2006 at 12:46 AM
Well, if you got that 'no uvmap' error, then your obj file wasn't read in. I am puzzled, how could a 3D program not be preserving the uvmap, that's a pretty vital part of an object.

I don't know Wings. I've only been told by some whatever I did relay, quite apparently they did it get it work. Perhaps contact them directly and ask what they did about the uvmapping issue?
Lab Assistant
#87 Old 9th May 2006 at 3:43 AM
Wait, I'm confused, you were told by some whatever? What does that mean? Who do I contact? (sorry I took so long to reply)
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#88 Old 9th May 2006 at 4:56 AM
Here is the thread where you got the Wings Vertex Mapper from.
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=57446
I don't know anything about Wings or the settings, but the people who posted there might. The person who wrote the tool it appears has not logged in for a long time, but dragonarts has been logging in and says she used it successfully. So she's the person to ask with a PM about the correct settings for Wings to make it work.
Test Subject
#89 Old 10th May 2006 at 1:27 AM
thanks alot i am making ton of clothes now
Lab Assistant
#90 Old 11th May 2006 at 2:43 AM
Thanks, I contacted her and now I see what I did wrong!
Test Subject
#91 Old 12th May 2006 at 9:41 PM Last edited by coolmare500 : 12th May 2006 at 9:54 PM.
I have used this tutorial many times without trouble... but then this one time, I did not do anything different... but got this:

A nice, big, happy sim EXPLOSION!!!
Do you have any idea why?

p.s. It was on XYZ, non XZY
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#92 Old 13th May 2006 at 6:49 AM
WOW! That's fantastic! Sorry but I haven't seen such a nicely exploded mesh since, well, since I blew up the fat mode on mine last week.

Exploded meshes like that are usually the result of deleting or adding a vertice, or doing some other command (that I'm not aware of) that changes the vertex order.

I haven't seen this specifically before with meshtool, but I have a suspicion why - I expect that's afbodyslip which is a multi-part mesh. To top it off, Maxis created it in a non-standard way. I would have to see if I can get the time to do some simple testing, but that mesh has many parts. It _is_ editable using Unimesh, although if I were to use that mesh even in unimesh, I'd import it, move a single vertex, and then export it and test before doing any real editing. Now why no one has reported it not working before now, I don't know. I'll try to verify it and if I get the same sort of results, I'll be sure to put a warning in the beginning of the tutorial.
Test Subject
#93 Old 13th May 2006 at 9:58 PM
Thanks, i think i'll stick to simpler meshes...
Test Subject
#94 Old 14th May 2006 at 2:37 PM
Thank you very much! This is, IMO, a perfect tutorial. Clear, and concise, with very illuminating pictures. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this!
Test Subject
#95 Old 17th May 2006 at 10:17 PM Last edited by tiggerypum : 17th May 2006 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Merged posts: 1219660, 1219653
every time i try to download SimPE it say i need the net.1.1 or sumtin. where do i get that?

help!!!!

edit by Tiggerypum:

-- DO NOT DOUBLE POST, be patient.

Secondly, the answer is on the SimPE site. Read everything there and download all the things you need.

sims2 games rock!!!!!! and polkie dots!!!!!!
Test Subject
#96 Old 22nd May 2006 at 6:00 AM
Default Help
OK Im new at this. Im following evrything said on the tutorial. The thing is that in Part I – Create a Temporary Texture for Testing my dress wont save under saved sims but under projects. Im felling that this is the reason i cant load the second part using meshtool.(Part VI – Putting Your New Shape Into Your Mesh Package)Under number 49.
(49) Click on ‘Load Sims 2 Mesh’ and then find the original gmdc file you had saved, long ago at the beginning. You might need to change the filetype from ‘simpe’ to ‘5gd’ so you can load it. It will have a long funky name, like AC4F8687-1356E054-1C0532FA-FF300D1E.5gd. It will be the only 5gd file you have in your working folder.) When i get to the (load sims 2 Mesh) an icon comes out telling me that ( Run Time Error (7), out of memory!)
can you tell me what i did wrong.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#97 Old 22nd May 2006 at 6:10 AM
Bcorrea0423, carefully reread the part about creating a temporary texture... when you create a new project in Body Shop, it'll first create stuff under Projects/MeshTutorialTemp (textures and a temporary .package file) but when you Import to Game, it'll create a file in SavedSims called something like "7f61a2a4_MeshTutorialTemp.package" You cannot use the .package file in the Projects/MeshTutorialTemp folder - you must use the one created in SavedSims.

The error you're having sounds like, well, exactly what it's telling you. Out of memory. Try shutting down the other stuff you have running at the time - only have Meshtool running when you try that, so you can be sure it's not a memory issue. If you're trying to run Body Shop, Photoshop, SimPE, your browser, etc., all at once, your computer might be struggling to keep up.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#98 Old 22nd May 2006 at 7:58 PM
Thanks i really appreciate it. I'll try that and see what up. :D
Test Subject
#99 Old 24th May 2006 at 3:45 AM
HI, HystericalParoxysm. Well I tried what you said for the Meshtool and its still saying the same thig. I had only the Meshtool program on and it still told me that its out of memory.Please help!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#100 Old 24th May 2006 at 4:05 AM
Hrm. Most of the meshing I do personally nowadays is done using Unimesh, as I do a lot with adding shapes and such, which Meshtool can't do. So I haven't run into that error myself... I searched the Meshtool thread and while someone else had the same error, it was never really answered, so my research is coming up a bit empty.

You say it's coming up when you get to the Load Sims 2 Mesh part? Try going back and re-exporting the GMDC from your mesh file and using that. I'm wondering if it didn't somehow export incorrectly and is just giving "out of memory" as an, "ack, I dunno what to do with this funky file" error.

If that doesn't work, well... In meshing, if you're having an inexplicable problem, oftentimes it's best to go back and start over. Unfortunately with this stuff it's not really easy to pick through the bits and pieces and discover exactly what one did wrong and learn from your mistakes like that... Starting over may be a pain, but it often is the quickest way to get something working again. It's what I (and many other experienced meshers) tend to do when things go wonky. Doesn't fix all problems, but it often helps.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Page 4 of 21