Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#4526 Old 29th May 2019 at 9:19 AM
In dorms made by EA and they put bookcases too far apart on all floors in a few rooms leading to a sea of books all over the floors where lazy roomies just leave the books on the floor making my sim go up and down the stairs to put all the books back *sigh* i started building my own to create functional buildings.
Advertisement
Theorist
#4527 Old 29th May 2019 at 2:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pygsmyemm
In dorms made by EA and they put bookcases too far apart on all floors in a few rooms leading to a sea of books all over the floors where lazy roomies just leave the books on the floor making my sim go up and down the stairs to put all the books back *sigh* i started building my own to create functional buildings.

These are the things I use mods for, including one to make sure every Sim puts the books back in the bookcase when they finish with them.
Instructor
#4528 Old 30th May 2019 at 11:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Misty_2004
These are the things I use mods for, including one to make sure every Sim puts the books back in the bookcase when they finish with them.

I build a small library room so all the books are contained in 1 room with there being several bookcases chances are they'll probs remember to put the books back more some still don't but since there's chairs and some side tables the sims can just quickly go around the room and put the couple books away they might go out into the hallway where i usually put some sofas but it's still outside the library hehe makes things a lot easier for my dorms.
Top Secret Researcher
#4529 Old 13th Jun 2019 at 7:05 PM
I hate when I'm poised to take a picture, I've got the perfect shot lined up, I put the walls up--and there's suddenly a wall in the way. So I have to readjust and hope the frame is still wide enough to capture everything I want.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Theorist
#4530 Old 13th Jun 2019 at 7:24 PM
I've had to take out entire walls for pictures at times. Irritatin' ain't it.

And apparently I don't have a mod to make them put their books away. Either that or it's not working. Little Miss Sloppy is all the time leaving hers on the floor.
Mad Poster
#4531 Old 18th Jun 2019 at 1:25 AM
Pet peeve: When you haven't played in several months and now have to go look through all the new CC and mods available.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#4532 Old 18th Jun 2019 at 3:40 AM
That'll teach you to ignore your sims that long. lol :3

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#4533 Old 18th Jun 2019 at 5:01 PM
Yeah, fair point.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#4534 Old 23rd Jun 2019 at 11:26 PM
Seems like my old computer was too stupid for some of the more notorious bugs of TS2... I mean, my new desktop is certainly leaps and bounds better by just about every metric, and I'd never have been able to make things like my cyberpunk lot or the cathedral I've been working on with my old laptop, but at the same time, I never saw the infamous pink flashing glitch on my laptop either... -_-

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Link Ninja
#4535 Old 24th Jun 2019 at 2:30 AM
Pink flashing will getcha sooner or later. Thins I have done to get rid of it besides all the fixes are, exit lot and reload. Keep graphic texture on medium before going into the lot and usually that will stop it. You don't play sims that much and don't use a lot of cc so I can't imagine why you'd be getting a lot of it, Zara

@Misty_2004 - for your camera angles, have you tried using the minus key to zoom out in tab-mode so you can get tight spaces pics? Small pics in tight rooms are tedious but I found I can get more detail in a pic of a small room doing that trick.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Lab Assistant
#4536 Old 26th Jun 2019 at 5:51 PM
Pink flashing is really bad and annoying i know right. I think it happens to me mostly when i start loading second/third family lot in the same gameplay session. I think i had it happen once when i sent my family on vacation and the whole hotel was just pink flashing mess. It really made me reluctant to send my families on vacation which makes me sad because i really want to use all the gameplay elements in my game It also happened when i just started playing with another family on the same gameplay session. Oddly it doesn't seem to happen when i send my families on community lots though.
Mad Poster
#4537 Old 26th Jun 2019 at 6:01 PM
Usually, I shut my game down between families. It has much more to do with my OCD than with the pink flashing. But, you're right. Jessa said on one of her videos about the problem, that the game "gets tired" after awhile. I think she's probably right.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Alchemist
#4538 Old 26th Jun 2019 at 6:20 PM
The game does get tired. Think of it this way--the longer the game is on, the more stuff it has to remember, and the more likely some stuff slips through holes, if you don't have enough memory to begin with.

I've had problems with pink flashing before and to reduce it, keep your play sessions on the shorter side (1-3 hours). Don't keep your game on all day. Don't leave your game on pause for hours while you go eat dinner, don't load it up but forget the game's running so that it's an hour after loading before you actually play. Just shutting down the game and restarting it helps, so yeah, restarting the game before you switch families is a good idea. It also helps to keep cc down--making sure your downloads folder is no more than half the size of your computer's ram. Oh, and some people forget to check the memory on their graphics card. I think my old one was only 2GB, and that may have been part of the problem. So don't just check your computer's ram, but also check your graphics card's memory too.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#4539 Old 26th Jun 2019 at 8:39 PM
My current pet peeve - that recolours of game objects don't get packaged with lots. It means I have to clone objects so the game thinks they're CC and half the time, it doesn't work. But I will track down the recolours of the BENNO CD tower even if it kills me.
Forum Resident
#4540 Old 26th Jun 2019 at 11:36 PM Last edited by natboopsie : 27th Jun 2019 at 1:11 AM.
Chiming in on the game's memory leaks (my understanding is that's what's causing the pink-flashing and crashing): if you'd like to play for an extended session, you likely can get more mileage out of your system by shutting down every other user program on the machine, especially browsers and word processors or anything else really resource heavy. Although if you're staying connected to Wifi/ethernet, of course keep your firewall up.

YMMV as well based on your computer's hardware and situation. Honestly, I see pink flashing maybe once in a RL season of play, and, um, I actually do everything that people say not to as far as leaving it on---leave it on pause overnight, play for well over 6 hours straight, don't restart the computer more than a couple times a month (if that), even hibernate it with the game on pause and bring it back up later. Please *do not* take this as indicating that all the cautions above are wrong---I've never had more than around 2GB of cc (all Compressorized), and my computer's a very good one with a high-end video card, plus as I've said elsewhere, this machine of mine never, ever is allowed to connect to the Internet...and it runs nothing but my game and a text file where I keep notes on the hood. So it just may be that my experience reflects pretty much ideal conditions for escaping the dreaded pink flash---and like I said, I still see it maybe once a season.

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Link Ninja
#4541 Old 26th Jun 2019 at 11:49 PM
^oh most definitely, closing program s absolutely helps me. If I don't I'm likely to get pink flashing sooner rather than when I shut all other programs off beforehand.

Field Researcher
#4542 Old 27th Jun 2019 at 2:22 AM
I have had the pink flashing only ever twice in the 15 years or so of playing TS2. I do all the things you shouldn't too. I leave my game open for days at a time, I have other stuff open, I play for hours and hours at a time. I have a reasonably large sized download folder (13GB-ish right now). My PC is not new (6 or 7 years old) and hasn't had an upgrade in at least 4 years. I don't turn it off, I don't hibernate it or let it sleep, I reboot once in a blue moon (Current uptime is 61 days). Pink flashing is not inevitable.
Link Ninja
#4543 Old 27th Jun 2019 at 4:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MattieOReilly
I have had the pink flashing only ever twice in the 15 years or so of playing TS2. I do all the things you shouldn't too. I leave my game open for days at a time, I have other stuff open, I play for hours and hours at a time. I have a reasonably large sized download folder (13GB-ish right now). My PC is not new (6 or 7 years old) and hasn't had an upgrade in at least 4 years. I don't turn it off, I don't hibernate it or let it sleep, I reboot once in a blue moon (Current uptime is 61 days). Pink flashing is not inevitable.

Did you update to Windows 10 or are you going on an older OS? I find less complaints from people on the older OS's in comparison. I didn't have as much before going to Windows 10 and was able to do all that stuff too. If you are on Windows 10 and can do all that with minimal flashing my hats off to your luck!

Mad Poster
#4544 Old 27th Jun 2019 at 6:04 AM
I don't get pink flashing. If I leave the game on for too long without saving it outright quits on me.

Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
My current pet peeve - that recolours of game objects don't get packaged with lots. It means I have to clone objects so the game thinks they're CC and half the time, it doesn't work. But I will track down the recolours of the BENNO CD tower even if it kills me.

I'm not sure what you mean. Any downloader will already have recolours of game objects that are not CC.
Mad Poster
#4545 Old 27th Jun 2019 at 10:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I'm not sure what you mean. Any downloader will already have recolours of game objects that are not CC.

I'm currently sorting out my Downloads folder and one of the things I want to do is bundle recolours of objects so the game has fewer files to read and loads faster. For CC objects, I can plop them all down on a lot and package it, and the game will package the meshes and recolors together, which I can then extract somewhere else so they don't get mixed up with the other 19,000 files currently in my recolours folder.

But when it comes to recolours of game objects, nothing gets packaged. Even if I choose a custom recolour of a game sofa rather than an EAxis one, it still won't package anything. It used to, before Pets, but not any more. So isolating recolours of game objects is trickier. I tried just looking at the filenames, but of course, not everybody names their files sensibly. I tried using the DDO to look at the internal names, which is a little more accurate, except some people change that too. I tried adding the recolours folder to SimPE's file table and using the finder tool, but it was just far too slow. I even tried using AnyGameStarter to make a game up to Glamour Life Stuff, which worked for a while, until it started crashing constantly, and of course, it wouldn't have helped me with objects made after that ep.

The only thing that worked was making clones of game objects so the game thought they were CC and then it packaged up the recolours. So now instead of 19,000 single recolour files to sort, I have 10,000 and 339 nicely merged ones. And I have 130 packaged lots full of recolours to deal with today. By the time I'm done, the only things left in that folder should be recolours of CC meshes... and recolours of game objects I just couldn't make work. Like the BENNO CD Tower. It shows up five times in Object Workshop despite there only being three in the game, but no matter how many times I clone it, it flatly refuses to show up with the CC star.

So that's why I wish the game packaged recolours of EAxis items with lots, because although I am making progress, IT SHOULDN'T BE THIS HARD!
Field Researcher
#4546 Old 27th Jun 2019 at 5:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charmful
Did you update to Windows 10 or are you going on an older OS? I find less complaints from people on the older OS's in comparison. I didn't have as much before going to Windows 10 and was able to do all that stuff too. If you are on Windows 10 and can do all that with minimal flashing my hats off to your luck!

The first time I had the pink flashing was years ago, before Win 10 was a thing, but I am on Win10 now. Pink flashing is a texture memory issue, not a straight up ram/resource issue. I could be wrong, I don't know everyone else's set up and the contents of their downloads folders, but I don't think it's luck, because here's what I don't have: I don't have water mods, post processing mods, high-res/def replacements for terrains, high res/def/poly neighbourhood objects, hairs/clothes/objects/accessories with insane poly counts etc. In fact the one time on Win10 I did have the pink flashing was with Vioelle's water mod and it hasn't happened since I removed it again. It's a trade-off. Do you want a prettier game that can't run for as long, or do you want to a stable game you can play for days on end?
Link Ninja
#4547 Old 27th Jun 2019 at 7:11 PM
A Very true and accurate trade off I think you describe because I have water and sky mods and high poly cc too and get it if I don't do a series of things I mentioned in my previous post. Then again, I hear rare but possible incidents of pink flashing when someone doesn't have very much CC at all/ only low poly count cc and still gets it. My ultra wide monitor definitely factors into it too because there's game space for it to render than a smaller screen.

Forum Resident
#4548 Old 27th Jun 2019 at 10:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MattieOReilly
In fact the one time on Win10 I did have the pink flashing was with Vioelle's water mod and it hasn't happened since I removed it again. It's a trade-off. Do you want a prettier game that can't run for as long, or do you want to a stable game you can play for days on end?

I agree that it's a good point! Yes, in my 2GB of mods on my Win10 machine, I consistently avoid anything extra-high poly or use such items only very sparingly and mindfully.

And very nice also, MattieOReilly, bringing in the distinction about it being *texture* memory. I think with that, you've hit the nail on the head. Because in fact, my Win7 machine that ran my uberhood had much more trouble running for extended sessions while avoiding pink flashing---and that was my first experience with the UC, so on that system I was tossing all kinds of eye candy into my Downloads, though still Compressorizing (the folder was probably about 3GB, so extravagant for me, lol).

Say, what's "post processing" in the context of this game---meaning, what kind of mods would fall into that category?

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Alchemist
#4549 Old 27th Jun 2019 at 10:55 PM
@sushigal007, did you try the sims 2 clean installler? Admittedly, packaging lots is probably a faster way to go about cleaning up the whole downloads folder, but with the Clean Installer you should be able to preview colors and so can use that method for items that don't show up as custom.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#4550 Old 28th Jun 2019 at 10:54 AM
I do plan to use a mixture of Clean Installer, DDO and SimPE to sort the last few stubborn EAxis recolours out, but not until I've finished dealing with the CC ones that are still mixed in there. Once they're sorted though, I should have a few thousand fewer files to deal with. :D
Page 182 of 273