Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 8:00 AM
Default Cant choose installation location
hi all

Ran installation of Sims Deluxe today. It asked me where i want to install so I chose D:/ but later decided I wanted it on C drive. So i uninstalled it and now when i reinstall it skips the custom installation and automatically installs in d. I have NO options to choose where I want to install it and its so frustrating
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 11:03 AM
Pretty much the same advice I and simsample gave here, try using the SimEraser to clear the registry before reinstalling (simsample helpfully shared the program in the thread) and make sure you also manually remove the files in [install location]\Maxis\The Sims and that if you installed in Program Files or Program Files(x86) you might want to clear your virtual store.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 12:06 PM
thank you but that SimEraser download is just a text doc on note pad....i cant seem to locate it anywhere else. i removed the files manually
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 12:44 PM
Hi @NeonSim

I explained in the other post that the download is a 7zip file, so hopefully you'll be able to extract and use it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 5:22 AM Last edited by NeonSim : 7th Aug 2018 at 7:31 AM.
Ok i ran Sim Eraser and the problem stlll occurring. I manually removed all the files from D drive. STILL skipping the custom installation section of the install. If i try to install hot date on my d drive it gives an error saying it cant find my TheSims folder in my c:/programs folder which is why i decided to reinstall on c drive instead.....if i cant fix this i literally cant install and play the games
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 8:06 AM
You'll probably need to manually remove the keys; look for keys under Maxis. backup your registry first.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 11:52 AM Last edited by NeonSim : 7th Aug 2018 at 12:36 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
You'll probably need to manually remove the keys; look for keys under Maxis. backup your registry first.

Ok i did that. Deleted all keys. Still the same. Im so frustrated. How can an installation program skip the whole section where it asks you where you want to install the program? all my defaults are set to c drive. Even when i tried to uninstall the game off d drive i kept getting catastrophic errors. I had to download an external software to force the uninstall which is another reason i dont want to reinstall it on that drive
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 1:43 PM
There must be a key remaining somewhere that you've missed. You could try a proprietry registry cleaner but be very careful- remember you're giving a third party program admin rights to your registry hive.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 2:52 AM
There must be a key remaining somewhere that you've missed. You could try a proprietary registry cleaner but be very careful- remember you're giving a third party program admin rights to your registry hive.

i used ccleaner to clean the registry and simeraser. is the default key under maxis safe to delete? coz i have some sims 4 keys under the maxis folder
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 8:55 AM
i dunno why there is Sims 4 stuff under a maxis folder. i cant even locate that folder. im sure if i ca delete these or not
Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 11:21 AM
No, don't remove those if you have Sims 4 installed.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 11:39 AM
No, don't remove those if you have Sims 4 installed.

i appreciate your help. im confused about sim eraser as i thought that was supposed to delete all the keys. i literally cant think of any further solutions. why in the first place will the game skip the asking where i want to install? there must be a setting or something that i can reset or remove to add that back to the installation process
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#13 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 12:46 PM
Remember that SimEraser was created before 64bit OS were commonly used; it knows nothing of Program Files(x86) or the wow6432node of the registry.

If the game previously asked you for an install location but subsequently doesn't, and you removed all previous install files, then the only place that remains is the registry.

The only other thing I could think of to try would be to reinstall onto the D drive, then uninstall it in the correct way. The uninstaller should cleanly remove allregistry keys, although I know you said you previously had trouble uninstalling.