Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Nov 2018 at 6:39 PM
Default Gaming mice for TS2
Mods, feel free to move this to the Technical thread if you think it belongs there, I've just posted it here since I'm looking at TS2-specific issues)

The last component I'd like to add as part of my desktop is a better mouse, since at this point I'm still using my cheap wireless mouse that I really would rather leave with my laptop. I'm looking at gaming mice not so much because of the need for huge DPI for FPS-level precision, but more because having quite a few more programmable buttons could be very useful in lot creation (i.e., having mouse buttons for being able to SHIFT+click, paired buttons for rotating objects or adjusting height, that kind of thing. Thing is, I haven't ever had cause to use a gaming mouse before, so I don't really have much of a frame of reference. Do any of you use such a mouse for such a reason in your TS2 gameplay? Thoughts on what to look for/do?

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Nov 2018 at 7:25 PM
Unless you play other, more fast-paced games, you don't neccessarily need a gaming mouse just for playing TS2. Get one that feels comfortable in the hand, preferably a large one and not one of those tiny ones that makes your hand hurt, and that should do the trick.

Personally I have a fairly decent ergonomic mouse for a relatively cheap price (I think I paid somewhere around 20-40$ for it), and it works fine for most tasks (not that good for drawing in Photoshop, though - but if that was a problem I'd probably use a drawing tablet in addition). Mine is on a cord, because then I don't have to worry about batteries or charging (I sincerely can't understand the hype with cordless things, because they often create other problems). I've been through several different computer mice, because with daily use they go through a lot of wear and tear, so I don't see the point in getting a more expensive one (and mine keep falling down, another reason to have it on a cord because I don't have to look for it). It's got left, middle/scroll and right buttons, plus a couple I hardly ever use that go forth and back between web pages or some such. I've never really needed much else because I'm so used to using my left hand for the shift/ctrl/etc. buttons that even with programmable buttons I'd probably not even use them. Besides, the more buttons there are, the more likely I am to accidentally click them. One of my previous mice had some extra buttons and I kept accidentally hitting them, causing much frustration.
Alchemist
#3 Old 16th Nov 2018 at 7:29 PM Last edited by mdsb759 : 16th Nov 2018 at 8:24 PM.
some places that sell gaming mice::
Walmart
Target
Amazon

edit::
for this game, 1 left button & 1 right button would be sufficient.
for various programs and for other games, there also being a scroll button might be helpful.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 16th Nov 2018 at 7:54 PM
Alchemist
#5 Old 16th Nov 2018 at 8:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
It must have LIGHTS.
could you elaborate?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Nov 2018 at 8:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
could you elaborate?

You'd be hard pressed to find a computer component that you can't get RGB lighting on anymore... (and TBH, I would like it to have lights- the rest of the machine does! )

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 16th Nov 2018 at 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
could you elaborate?

Mine has blue lights and it definitely works better than the old one which didn't have blue lights.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Nov 2018 at 9:10 PM
*gasps* A mouse with a light-up plumbbob?

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 16th Nov 2018 at 9:23 PM
Yes, that's a Steelseries mouse (the headphones too); they work with Sims 4 to light up with the colour of the sims' moods, but with Sims 2/3 they react only to your programming and not to the game, unfortunately. I have the Sims 4 collector's edition and that came with a Steelseries plumbob; it's just a USB light, but it colour changes with Sims 4 moods. When I play Sims 2, I can use the Steelseries driver app to have the plumbob change colour or stay a static colour. You can add applications to the list and have a different colour scheme for each game/ program you use. The mouse and the headphones are the same I should imagine as they use the same Steelseries driver bundle/ app.

ETA: The mouse looks to be difficult to find now.
https://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-...teelseries+sims
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Steel-Sims...elseries+sims+4

Someone made a mouse for Sims 3 too!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sims-Illum...elseries+sims+4
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th Nov 2018 at 9:38 PM
*sigh* But no love for TS2, I suppose...

Probably for the best... I may be vain when it comes to my computer's appearance, but not enough to buy a mouse JUST because of the lights!

I'm looking at this one most ATM: https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Spe.../dp/B019OB663A/

Mad Poster
#11 Old 17th Nov 2018 at 8:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Personally I have a fairly decent ergonomic mouse for a relatively cheap price (I think I paid somewhere around 20-40$ for it), and it works fine for most tasks (not that good for drawing in Photoshop, though - but if that was a problem I'd probably use a drawing tablet in addition).

I've never seen anybody who takes drawing seriously using a mouse instead of a tablet.

IMHO, a gaming mouse would be a little overkill for TS2. If you're planning to take up other games as well, maybe it'd be more worth the money. I'm not even sure if the programmable buttons would even play well with TS2. When I was having trouble using a mouse (before I got onto my antiparkinson meds) I was experimenting with a game controller and couldn't get the controls to work too well.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#12 Old 17th Nov 2018 at 11:23 AM
Because my gaming hand is pretty small, I must use a small (and cheap) mouse.
I wear them out quickly, so the cheaper, the better.

I've used a pen mouse before and I'd like to use it more, but it feels so funny after all these years of using a standard mouse. They have their own little stand and a USB port-but it's very easy to lose both while playing.
Exactly like this one: TSV USB Wireless Mouse Pen with Pen Stand, 2.4GHz, Pocket Drawing Write

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Theorist
#13 Old 17th Nov 2018 at 11:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
It must have LIGHTS.

I didn't know that but I got that one three years ago.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 17th Nov 2018 at 12:29 PM
I remember of a video that showcase mouse with hotkeys of usefulness in TS3. I also recall somebody was working on a funraiser (perhaps it was the same advertised) gaming mouse promoted here at MTS in a thread. Can't find any of the two anymore.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.