Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 4:40 PM Last edited by leefish : 17th Jan 2014 at 5:39 PM.
Invisible and flashing blue custom objects: Check List

INVISIBLE AND FLASHING BLUE CUSTOM OBJECTS
TROUBLESHOOTING CHECKLIST

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT a tutorial; it is intended to help average-experienced object creators performing specific tasks, or to give users a deeper in-sight on specific modding-related subjects. So, don't expect to find step-by-step explanations, to be performed "blindly". Please DO NOT REPOST the following info, or part of them, on other sites.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY
Many object creators are complaining about their objects being "invisible" in the game, or having flashing blue textures. This article will propose a Check-list that will help discovering if the package structure is correctly built.
This InfoCenter article is also provided in PDF format. To view it, we strongly suggest to download the Foxisoft PFD Viewer: it's free and small, less than 1Mb!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HINT: The "Fix Integrity" function is extremely useful and automatically fixes many problems. Use it as often as you can: it won't hurt!
HINT: Always use the latest version of SimPE

TROUBLESHOOTING CHECK-LIST
FAQ: the prefix ##0x1c050000! is called "Forced Relocation", abbreviated in "FR". This prefix can be found in some file references (e.g. the reference to the GMND contained in the Shape), but *no prefixes* should be used in front of the filenames.

1) Text List 0x85: the value in line 0x01 should be identical to the Resource Node filename (with the FR prefix).

2) Resource Node, "Reference" tab: the reference to the Shape must match the Subtype, Group and Instance of the Shape file.

3) Shape, "Items" tab: the reference herein must match the Geometry Node filename (with the FR).

4a) Shape, "Parts" tab: the "Subset names" listed herein must match, both for name and for number, the "Models" listed in the Geometry Data Container, "3D Mesh" tab.
HINT: In the Shape, to better read the "Subset names", click in turn on each line of the list and read the "Subset" field.
HINT: If in the Shape you find a subset that doesn't exist in the GMDC, then you can safely delete it: it's useless.
4b) Shape, "Parts" tab (again): the "Material Definition files" listed herein must match, both for name and for number, the Material Definitions in your package (with the FR).

5) Geometry Node, "Reference" tab: the reference to the GMDC must match the Subtype, Group and Instance of the Geometry Data Container file.

6) Material Definition, "Properties" tab: the "stdMatBaseTextureName" value must match the texture filename (with the FR); the same texture name (with the FR) should be found in the "File List" tab.

7) Material Override: the "modelName" value must match the Resource Node name (with the FR, and including the _cres extension); the "model" value must match the Material Definition name (with the FR); the "subset" value must match the recolourable subset listed in the GMND, into the tsDesignModeEnabled block.
IMPORTANT - One of the most common mistakes concerns the "objectGUID" in the Material Override: it must be identical to the GUID of the main Object Data (that is the Object Data whose name *doesn't* ends with "0,0", "0,1" and so on; usually it's the one with instance number 0x41A7, but this is not always true).
HINT: Obviously, ther may be other reasons if an object doesn't show up correctly in the game or in the catalog; the ones mentioned above are only the most frequent.
If following this check-list doesn't help you fixing you package, explore the Other Useful Resources below.

OTHER USEFUL RESOURCES

Modding InfoCenter Index - Comprehensive list of all the InfoCenter threads
Object Creation Workshop and Repair Center - If your object doesn't work, no matter what you try
Colour Options for "EP-ready" packages - About the texture linking tecniques
Sims 2 start to finish Object Creation Tutorial - Learn how to create your own object

Attached files:
File Type: rar  Modding InfoCenter - PDF - Invisible and flashing blue objects.rar (35.1 KB, 831 downloads) - View custom content

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 1:48 AM Last edited by Dr Pixel : 15th Feb 2005 at 1:53 AM.
A quick question, just to clarify.

When you say the names must match, does this include the case as well?

I ask because I have noticed that the "fix integrety" plugin seems to change the case on some items, but not others.

For example, I have made another strero, cloned from the boombox again.

It does work in the game, and no falshing blue texture, but I had no luck getting recolours to work, although I did as suggested in your work-around.
I double-checked the .package and also the recolour .pacakges, all looks correct, but the recolours simply do not show up.

So I just checked my file again, with this checklist, and I find for example, my cres name is:

##0x1c050000!drpixel_ultracompcatstereo_cres

But, in the text list it has:

##0x1c050000!DrPixel_UltraCompcatStereo

The text list is exactly what I typed into the plugin, but you can see the cres name was made all lowercase.

This also happens in the GMDC - the filename is:
##0x1c050000!drpixelstereomesh_gmdc

But the name of the arry on Items3 is:
DrPixelStereoMesh

Should I try to rename so everything is all lower case?

Or is this going to make matters worse?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 8:27 AM
No, the games doesn't make difference between upper and lower case.
You say that the recolours don't show up. But is the object correcly colour-enabled? If so, you should see in the catalog at least one small icon for the default colour option.
In the recolour package, check the Material Overrides: check if the GUID is correct and if the modelName is the same of your CRES. Remember that after having created the recolour package with my work-around, you have to remove all the ##0x1c050000! hashes from all the MMATs, both in the object package and in the recolour.
Scholar
#4 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 9:44 AM
OK, I'll check through it again.

I did remove those hash numbers, but I must have something else wrong because I do not get the one small icon.
Scholar
#5 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 1:55 PM
Ok, got it working! Many thanks again.

Oh, the problem was my fault - a typo in some of the GUID numbers
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 19th Feb 2005 at 11:22 AM Last edited by simka : 19th Feb 2005 at 11:48 AM.
Thanks for opening up a thread regarding invisible objects! I`ve been struggling with that for almost two weeks now...

I have a few questions here:

"2) Resource Node, "Reference" tab: the reference to the Shape must match the Subtype, Group and Instance of the Shape file"

I have the very latest version, 0.18, and there is no "reference tab" - is this due to changes in the new version? Where can I check that point?

There is another thing that really puzzles me. The attached pic shows the status right after replacing the old package with my new model:

Is it correct, that the Model-list shows only "Default"? I have the feeling that not... if this is incorrect, where can I start to solve this?

I'd be thankful for any hint! :howdy:

*edit:* sorry for the panic regarding point 1, found the reference tab.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Feb 2005 at 12:13 PM
In the Models list you find the "meshes" that you have defined in the 3D program. It's not the first time I see different meshes with the same name, an I suppose that the game treats them as a whole (like you had only one mesh called "Default").
I suggest that you *regroup* all of them in only 1 mesh, and reimport it into the GMDC using the MeshTool.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 25th Mar 2005 at 5:54 PM Last edited by dean de beste : 25th Mar 2005 at 8:05 PM.
Numenor can you have a look at my object i make it with the SimPE version 32.
update = thank you numenor i thight i could register one object data and than use the same date for a nother (i mean in the register object window i just click the same name i used for the last one and the i click use) is this the couse of my problem?
and numenor i upload the tow types becouse some people only have one of the programs but i see and aree totally with you. i sugest wee should use programs that open all typs of arcive's. but that might not happen

no ears
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 25th Mar 2005 at 7:27 PM Last edited by Numenor : 25th Mar 2005 at 7:29 PM.
Dean, the problem is that the second Object Data must have a different GUID; register a new one, but *don't click* on "Update MMAT": just click the "Commit" in the lower right corner of the screen.

If I may add a suggestion, you shouldn't post the files in both zip and rar format: the storage space on MTS2 server is limited, and every useless file makes the server job harder. Now that I've checked your object, please remove the attachments, by editing your post.
Inventor
#10 Old 9th Aug 2005 at 7:54 PM
I can add something to the list. The object will be invisible if the Scenegraphic chain is not complete.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 9th Aug 2005 at 10:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mod_bv
I can add something to the list. The object will be invisible if the Scenegraphic chain is not complete.

...or broken, as this thread tries to explain
An incomplete scenegraph chain can't be found in normal cloned objects, anyway; it only happens if you manually add new files to the package.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Inventor
#12 Old 9th Aug 2005 at 11:06 PM
But how could the Scenegraph chain be updated?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#13 Old 10th Aug 2005 at 12:57 AM
It can't be "updated", it can only be "built", adding manually all the needed files and linking them properly.
The scenegraph chain is complex; I wrote an article about the scenegraph chain (formerly RCOL chain), but it was lost in one of the last site updates...
I'll try and rewrite it and include in the InfoCenter; in the meantime, remember that his thread, after all, describes the internal links of the scenegraph chain (without explanations, though).

Forum Resident
#14 Old 17th Aug 2005 at 11:38 PM
Invisible item:
It says:
4a) Shape, "Parts" tab: the "Subset names" listed herein must match, both for name and for number, the "Models" listed in the Geometry Data Container.

They match: they are both blank.

Is that my problem or is that the way it should be?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 18th Aug 2005 at 12:19 AM
Absolutely not! There's something wrong in your package, or you are looking in the wrong places.

In the GMDC, you have to select the "3D Mesh" tab and look for the Models in the leftmost column (above the Import and Export buttons).

In the Shape, you have to select the "Part" tab, and then (just to make things more readable), select in turn all the lines that you find in the list: for each line, in the fields below, you can read the "Subset" (and the "Material Definition File").

If this info don't help you, you can either re-clone your object or post here a screenshot of the GMDC and the Shape.

Forum Resident
#16 Old 18th Aug 2005 at 12:28 AM
I was indeed in the wrong place--it says models and I went to the models tab :P. (You might want to clarify this in the steps.)

Which I guess is good...only that leave sme to still find the problem

Anyway, thanks. *back to the list...*
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 18th Aug 2005 at 12:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mutantbunny
You might want to clarify this in the steps.

I'll do. Thanks for the suggestion.

Forum Resident
#18 Old 18th Aug 2005 at 12:48 AM Last edited by Mutantbunny : 18th Aug 2005 at 1:00 AM.
Ok--have no idea what I am doing wrong, but this is the second package I have made (two completely different--the other is the sign I'm working on) that are showing invisible. My first object worked right off, with minor problems. So I am totally lost as to what I am doing wrong....

Here are the shots. This is another window cloned off the loft window. It is a big round window like you'd see in a NY top floor loft. So--I have two meshes, one for the glass and one for the frame, just like in the Sims 1 round windows I made that worked.

If you can see the pix ok, you'll see the names are not the same at all and I don't know which is right or wrong or how they got so screwed up :P

Also: the Shape, two, both are 'frame'. Another thing--there are five object data files, all different 'tails', each given their own guid (guids ar enot sequential, if it matters at all) ?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 18th Aug 2005 at 1:00 AM Last edited by Numenor : 18th Aug 2005 at 1:05 AM.
Step 4a: The "model" names in the GMDCdon't match with the subsets listed in the shape.

In the GMDC you have only 1 Model, called "MBroundwindowglass", while in the Shape you have 3 subsets: "Windowtwotilewideloft_glass", "wallshadow" and "frame".

When you have edited the mesh, you haven't kept the original groups. If the mesh does contain the frame, the glass and the wallshadow, then edit it again with the 3D program, splitting the "MBroundwindowglass" into the original 3 groups, and rename each group accordingly to the the Subset names as reported in the Shape.

If it sounds too difficult, or the mesh does not contain any more all the three original groups, re-clone the window.

Another notation: why the GMDC names are different than the the other files within the package? It doesn't hurt, but it's quite confusing.
When cloning the object, and the Scenegraph Rename window appears, replace the "windowtwotilewideloft-[mutantbunny....]" part with a shorter but unique name (e.g. "MB-BigRoundWindow") and hit "Update".

Note that there are 2 GMDC and 2 Shapes (one for each "face" of the window): each couple have its own frame and glass (the wallshadow is usually only in the North side of the window).

As for the GUIDs, there's no need to have them in sequence, as long as you register a unique GUID for each Object Data.

Forum Resident
#20 Old 18th Aug 2005 at 1:07 AM
I'm not at all sure how the names got different.

I do know how the shape got differnt than the GMDC thu: Not knowing better I cloned the package, pulled the meshes into MS, pulled in my round mesh and deleted the original thinking that would be ok--evidently not. :P

I cloned the loft window to work off of because it is 2 tile, which I want my window to be two tile. Not having any idea how to add a tile, I thought it would work the way I did it....

Would it work to pull the loft window mesh (square) into MS, delete it and then start from scratch to make a round one?

Of course, I do always have the option to give up.....
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 18th Aug 2005 at 2:04 AM
No, don't give up. You are right when you say that you should start cloning a window with the same number of tiles of your custom one.
But when you import the mesh in MS, don't delete it, or, at least, delete the groups one by one while you create the new frame, glass (and wallshadow, if any). Remember to write down the name of the original groups and use them to rename your new mesh groups.
Forum Resident
#22 Old 18th Aug 2005 at 3:04 AM
Ok. I'll try again. Thanks.
Test Subject
#23 Old 19th Aug 2005 at 5:20 PM
Hi Numenor,

I think I may have found out what is messing up my object. Step 4A is slightly off. The material name in the Geometric Data Container reads:

videogamerackcounter_matte_default2_default2

whereas in the shape subset line it just reads:

videogamerackcounter_matte

I don't know which one I should fix or even if that is the problem. Could you help me please? Could you also tell me what I am doing wrong? I have followed the JWoods Wings 3D tutorial almost to the letter (my object only had one object data) and this invisibilty thing keeps happening. Thank you in advance.

Zowie2003
Mesh Maestro
#24 Old 19th Aug 2005 at 9:43 PM
Zowie2003: If the subset name in the SHPE file is: "videogamerackcounter_matte" then that is the name that should be entered in the GMDC.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 19th Aug 2005 at 11:57 PM
Zowie, the "_default2" extension is added by Wings3D: to prevent this, next time you export a mesh from Wings, click on the little square near the menu entry "Wavefront"; an option window will pop up: uncheck the "One group..." option.

Wings will remember this setting, so you don't have to do this every time, but only once.
Screenshots

Page 1 of 2