Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 7:19 AM
Ok stupid question, could this possibly be used to also make an item from adult to teen?
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#27 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 2:02 PM
Converting from teen to adult is really a separate issue. You need to make the mesh slightly less slender and match the seams at the neck, waist, and ankles.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 11:44 PM Last edited by Hydrasis : 15th Oct 2012 at 9:33 AM.
Right then, back to digging I go then. Thank you

How do I get the tags to show up in s3pe? That's the biggest road block right now because I can't tell what's what at all because the tags column is completely blank.

Edit: nvm there's something to be said for unpacking things yourself . x . ;;;

*flops about like a fish*
Test Subject
#29 Old 5th Dec 2012 at 12:53 AM
I know this is kind of an old thread, but I thought I'd extend my gratitude to the OP for the tutorial and their meshkit. I managed to create a decent looking half shirt for my male sims as I couldn't find any good ones on the web.

Took some effort to get it right but it looks decent enough for me. Looking forward to using this tutorial for other means in the future.

Sorry for the massive picture. Still trying to figure out how to adjust it.
Field Researcher
#30 Old 4th Jan 2013 at 7:20 PM
Thanks so much for your MeshKit and this tutorial CMar!

I noticed them a while back but didn't have the time to try it out until now. With your detailed instructions, my very first attempt worked just fine. Now I'm off to see what other havoc I can create. Thanks again, your efforts are much appreciated!
Test Subject
#31 Old 14th Jan 2013 at 1:37 PM
This is a great tutorial! it works great. I have one question. Not sure if this is a place for questions & feedback:

I tried to combine 2 meshes into 1 but the only result i get is one of the working meshes. Im working with a denim pants and some braces from Diesel Stuff Pack. I followed this tutorial by bloom: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=429672

On the last step where i need to scale again the final mesh, the only thing that appears are the braces. Am i doing something wrong or something?
I was wondering if i can make it through working with 3 meshes: bottomnude, braces(deleting the original shorts from mesh) and the pants.

Thanks in advance
Test Subject
#32 Old 14th May 2013 at 4:02 PM
This is a great tutorial. But how would I go about adding a slit to the shirt?
Or there's a creation in the comments of men's pant cut into shorts, on something like that, how would I go about adding a fold to the bottom of the jeans?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#33 Old 17th May 2013 at 5:29 PM
@Karusso: Sorry, didn't see this until now. How are you combining two meshes into one? It should work in Milkshape by regrouping or you can use Mesh Toolkit. Please explain more of what you did. Yes, you can have 3-part meshes if you use CTU, except in lod3. What tools are you using?

@Mariitza320: You'd have to combine the upper body mesh with a shirt mesh, put a slit in the shirt mesh, and leave enough of the upper body mesh to appear behind the slit. I'm not sure what you mean by adding a fold to the bottom of the jeans - do you mean having the bottoms rolled up?

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
#34 Old 3rd Jun 2013 at 6:57 PM
Hello. Sorry for my bad English, i hope you'll understand my question anyway.
I'm using Blender and have imported the Clothmesh and also the Nudemesh. I modified the Clothmesh, turn on the Nudemesh just for watching if the modified Clothmesh fits.
Then i just Export the File (lod1) wheres the Clothmesh and Nudemesh is in it? <- Thats my question.

Because:
Quote:
(...)and export the two meshes, naming them something(...)

I don't modified the Nudemesh. Why exporting then?
See for the Mesh Toolkit:
Quote:
2, select the modified nude mesh from the last step

Questen again. Do i need to export the Clothmesh separatly to the Nudemesh?
Or can i just Delete the Nudemesh and use the unmodified Nudemesh later for the Mesh Toolkit in the FrankenMeshTab?

I hope you're going to understand my question.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#35 Old 4th Jun 2013 at 7:28 AM
If you're following the tutorial, you're removing part of the clothing mesh. That part has to be replaced with part of the nude mesh. (You should be removing the other parts of the nude mesh too.) If you remove part of the clothing mesh and don't replace it, that part of the sim's body will be missing. That's why you need to export both meshes.

In the game, there's no seperate nude body under the clothing meshes. The nude mesh is just the same as any clothing mesh, it's just shaped like a nude body instead of a body with clothing.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Test Subject
#36 Old 4th Jun 2013 at 10:02 AM
Aha, i see. Then i have another question if you allow, and understand.

Is it possible, to export the final Clothmesh. Let me try to explain what i mean: You import the Clothmesh and the Nudemesh and build your Cloth, then you merge the Vertex together, to create the final mesh. Then you will have the final Clothmesh as .simgeom File and you will use in the Frankenmesh-Tab just the "Base mesh 1", because you have integrated the Nudemesh already into the Clothmesh. Then you take the Cloth-.blendgeom files and Press the Button down to the right. Will this works?

Last question: Do you just modify the Meshs and there is no Boneinformation in it, because i'm working with Blender and i don't see bones (bones are the information for rotating arms and legs... if i am right) you wrote:
Quote:
If Mesh Toolkit tells you there are too many bones in your combined mesh(...)

What do you mean with too many bones?

And can you, maybe not just for me very helpful, write the meaning of some terms down? Like "bones" "morph" "simgeom" and "blendgeom".

I hope i do not annoy you to much.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#37 Old 4th Jun 2013 at 3:29 PM
No problem.

Bones: Every mesh is associated with a skeleton, like a human skeleton and made of joints connected to each other. The vertices in the mesh are assigned to joints in the skeleton. That way, when the joints are moved in an animation or a morph, the vertices assigned to them move also. (In meshing we use the words 'bone' and 'joint' to mean the same thing. It's a little confusing.)

Morph: The process that changes the shape of the default body or face for individual sims. Fat, fit, thin, and pregnant are morphs. So are all the ways you can change the sim's face in CAS.

Simgeom (GEOM): A mesh for a body, face, accessory, etc. They can be a base mesh, which is the unmorphed shape and has all the bone and texture information etc., or they can be morph meshes which have only the information of how to change the positions and normals of the vertices to get a morph.

Blendgeom (BGEO): A file with data used to morph a simgeom. They are made from morph meshes and have all the data for all lods of one morph.

You can't merge the two meshes into one and then use Frankenmesh. Frankenmesh works by taking the two modified meshes and their original morph information and combining them into one set of a base mesh and the fat, fit, thin, and pregnant morphs.

I don't use Blender. It has bone assignments but I don't know how you would see them.

The game has a limit of how many bones it will use in one mesh. If the combined mesh uses a number of bones that's over the limit Toolkit will tell you. If there are too many bones the mesh will be distorted in the game. This is why some clothing has more than one mesh for each lod - they split them up so the number of bones used in each mesh isn't over the limit.

Hope this helps!

Test Subject
#38 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 4:48 PM
Hello.

I'm quite a newb when it comes to meshing, and seeing your guide was quite simple, I decided to follow it and try to make a full body item. Obviously as you foreseen, I get the bone-over-60 pop-up when I hit "Update Morphs, Renumber, Combine and Save". At that point, I skipped to the bottom part of the post, reading about it, but I don't quite understand what I am supposed to do. Do I allow to save it and split the mesh afterwards, beforehand? How do I do the splitting?

If there is a tutorial on that, I'd be glad to follow. I'm getting good at that!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#39 Old 23rd Aug 2013 at 2:44 PM
In the case of too many bones, you need to leave the meshes separate - use Toolkit Frankenmesh function on each one separately to update the morphs, and to renumber with the second mesh starting with the next number after the last number of the first mesh. (Toolkit will do this automatically if you do them one after the other.)

Then you have to find a two-part clothing item to clone as the basis for your new item. A lot of full-body clothing has two meshes per lod. After you clone, you should see meshes named lod1 and lod1_1, lod2 and lod2_2, etc. Continue the steps in the tut but replace lod1 with your first mesh, lod1_1 with the second, and repeat for the other lods. Often lod3 will have only one mesh part available, but you probably will be able to combine lod3 without getting too many bones since the meshes are so simple.

Lab Assistant
#40 Old 30th Sep 2013 at 4:51 AM
I am having a problem and don't know where else to ask. I am trying to remove the shorts from the item afBodyEP6CasualTrend. I got it as far as blender but can't seem to get the program to export it in a way I can use it. I tried to rename it to .simgeom,but the program said it was an invalid file. I tried to export using blender and the program froze up and did nothing. Can anyone help? I am using blender 2.67.

The Cat Lady "Meow!"
:popcorn: Eat'n downloadaholic
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#41 Old 1st Oct 2013 at 12:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ClMeow
I am having a problem and don't know where else to ask. I am trying to remove the shorts from the item afBodyEP6CasualTrend. I got it as far as blender but can't seem to get the program to export it in a way I can use it. I tried to rename it to .simgeom,but the program said it was an invalid file. I tried to export using blender and the program froze up and did nothing. Can anyone help? I am using blender 2.67.

Probably you'd have to export .obj format from Blender. I have a tool in beta testing to convert from obj to simgeom: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=510463

You'd be better off posting for help in the Create / CAS Parts forum than here.

Test Subject
#42 Old 20th Oct 2013 at 9:57 PM
Hello

I'm a bit lost. Everything worked fine - until I got to step 4. I go into GEOM tools and then FrankenMesh. I put my two base meshes in (just like in the tutorial with all the fat,fit and thin). So it looks just like yours. I set the vertex number to 5000 and click 'Update Morphs, Renumber, Combine, and Save'. I get the pop up and set 1 (I hope this is right? it maybe be where i'm going wrong?). It creates 4 files after this. I hope this isn't a really dumb question! Am I doing this right?

Thanks!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#43 Old 21st Oct 2013 at 2:22 PM
I assume you're selecting the BGEO files for the fat, fit, and thin morphs? And you're selecting LOD 1 from the popup asking which lod you're doing. Then you get the prompts to save the new, combined and renumbered base, fat, fit, and thin meshes. Sounds like everything is working correctly.

Test Subject
#44 Old 8th Dec 2013 at 10:09 PM
Default Thanks and questions...
I want to thank you for putting this tutorial together, it really helped in my quest for a boy skirt. The only thing I notice is that I can see gaps when he sits down:

I have a second version where I snapped some vertex points together, and then this happened:

Any help would be appreciated!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#45 Old 9th Dec 2013 at 10:26 AM
The gapping is caused by gaps between the inner surface of the skirt and the top of the legs. Ideally the skirt part should fold under at the hem and join to the top of the legs.

The second problem looks more like a texturing thing. Check the multiplier alpha channel.

Field Researcher
#46 Old 9th Dec 2013 at 1:21 PM
So I decided to do a hackjob by turning the Peter Pan-collar jumper into a top. As detailed in the tutorial I cut off the bottom part of the mesh on the jumper, and the upper/arm one on the shirt, and I used the Weld Nearest command to close the seams, to which I had to unweld as the exporter doesn't let me churn out a GEOM.

Things seem to turn out fine, but I end up with this when I try to make a fat morph:

Can anyone point me to a proper way to do the morphs and/or dealing with seams in Franked or hacked-up meshes?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#47 Old 10th Dec 2013 at 1:50 AM
Did you weld and unweld instead of undoing the weld? That could have messed up the vertex numbering and consequently the morphs, if you followed the instructions in this tut and Frankensteined the existing morphs.

You can either start over and use Snap Together or Copy Data instead of Weld to join your seams, or use Mesh Toolkit automorph to make the morphs.

Field Researcher
#48 Old 10th Dec 2013 at 2:52 AM Last edited by blakegriplingph : 10th Dec 2013 at 7:33 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Did you weld and unweld instead of undoing the weld? That could have messed up the vertex numbering and consequently the morphs, if you followed the instructions in this tut and Frankensteined the existing morphs.

You can either start over and use Snap Together or Copy Data instead of Weld to join your seams, or use Mesh Toolkit automorph to make the morphs.

I think I sorta did, I might as well just start it over and see if I can manage to fix it. It's just that you didn't mention anything about snapping or welding when it comes to disjointed parts and that's where I was a bit confused.

And can you please elaborate more on the Copy Data tool/command?

EDIT: Tried doing your suggestion, and while it didn't pinch like what happened previously, I end up with a gaping seam when I test the fat morph:
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#49 Old 10th Dec 2013 at 2:18 PM
While anything beyond very basic meshing wasn't the purpose of the tutorial, I've added info on the relevant vertex tools.

You're always going to get some distortion in the morphs using this method, especially in the fat morph which moves the mesh around most. The two parts are coming from two differently shaped meshes and the morphs just aren't going to match perfectly. You'll have to edit the fat morph mesh and correct it.

Test Subject
#50 Old 10th Dec 2013 at 3:48 PM
Thank you, I was able to clear those gaps. Now the problem seems to be that the edge of the skirt sits too far from the body, enough that long shirts slip behind the waistband. But if I move the waistband in more it merges into his body. If I snap together vertices will that eliminate the issue?

Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
The gapping is caused by gaps between the inner surface of the skirt and the top of the legs. Ideally the skirt part should fold under at the hem and join to the top of the legs.

The second problem looks more like a texturing thing. Check the multiplier alpha channel.
Page 2 of 4