Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 6th Apr 2006 at 1:52 AM
Thanks so much.. I just finished my 1st roof..a tin roof
Screenshots
Advertisement
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#27 Old 6th Apr 2006 at 7:55 PM
Well done!

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#28 Old 17th Apr 2006 at 1:19 AM
Hi it wont let me recolor can you tall me what im doing worg plz.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#29 Old 17th Apr 2006 at 1:56 AM
Can you be more specific please?

You mean that you follow exactly the tutorial and the new roof doesn't appear in the catalog?

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#30 Old 12th May 2006 at 9:32 AM
Thanks for the greate tutorial! here is a picture of my first roof... a pink roof...
Screenshots
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#31 Old 12th May 2006 at 4:59 PM
How nice! Good work!

Scholar
#32 Old 12th May 2006 at 7:11 PM
Thanks for a great tutorial, very easy to follow
I also made my first custom roof today. I need to work on the textures a bit, but practice makes perfect

I was just wondering about the unique registered GUID that I used, it didn't ask me to register the object, do I have to do that via the SimPE site? And if I make another roof do I just use the same GUID again or the next unused number?

Also, the tutorial went well, but I did have a slight problem with importing back the txtr images. I could Build DTX on the main roof tile and my new image was imported, but for the 1st and 4th texture images, the picture loaded into the DTX view, but when I clicked on build, the new tile wouldn't show in the plugin view. I ended up just having to click on Import instead, which worked.
Did I do something wrong?

Thanks

Please note - I'm not taking any requests at the moment.

You may include my items in your uploads but please credit with a link to either the object or my creator page please.

My Sims 2 videos
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#33 Old 14th May 2006 at 1:12 AM
As for the GUID, I understand that it may be confusing, but the GUIDs used for roofs are of a different type, compared to the GUID used for objects; in other words, you can safely use the same GUID for an object and for a roof, without having any conflict.
Therefore, SimPE doesn't provide an automated way to register a GUID, because you don't need to register one. If you are an object creator, you are encouraged to reuse one of the GUIDs that you have already used in one of your objects.

As for the picture not appearing in plugin view, be sure that the image has the right size: both the height and the width must be a power of 2 (...16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, ...). Sometime, when you resize an image in a paint program, though you set a desired size of 256x256, the paint program might create a 255x255 image... At least, this happens with PaintShop Pro!

Lab Assistant
#34 Old 14th May 2006 at 6:14 AM
Hey Numenor. I finally got around to doing this. It's great! I made these two roofs on my laptop where I only have the original game installed, and I followed your instructions to assign my unique guid and that global guid the way you said to. And, I tested them on my big machine that has all the EPs installed and they seem to work fine on both machines and I still have all my default roof colors and some others.

I started with the subtle cream colored one, but then my ol' tacky side kicked in and I did the blue one LOL

Fun Stuff! I put them at my site in the free section if anyone wants them ... and, of course, thanked you there, Numenor ;-)
Screenshots
Scholar
#35 Old 14th May 2006 at 6:00 PM
Thanks Numenor,
I understand about the Guid number now so that helps a lot.

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm still a little confused about the dtx box. I've made a few roofs now and sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.
The tile I most have problems with, is the last one (under) it exports at a size of 102, I leave it that size, take it to psp and colour without resizing, then dtx import back in. Should I resize it to 128? Also in the dxt format box, it opens at DTX5. I've tried importing it as that, and when that didnt work, I changed it to DTX1, but still no show in the plugin view, unless I just use the plugin Import button.

You're probably going to tell me its the resize thing again, lol, but I just want to be sure that I haven't got some kind of glitch in simpe.

I took a couple of screenshots of what I was getting when the image wouldn't export with dtx, maybe they will shed some light on what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks again for the help
Screenshots

You may include my items in your uploads but please credit with a link to either the object or my creator page please.

My Sims 2 videos
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#36 Old 24th May 2006 at 1:22 AM
Wow, this worked great for me to make downloaded roofs that otherwise didn't work, I only have TS2. Will this same process work for railings? I have downloaded some, one is ailas white wood railing, and I can't find it anywhere.

http://modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=147955
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#37 Old 24th May 2006 at 9:43 AM
HugeLunatic - Yes, for the fence you can use a similar method, but not identical 100%.
You can find the tutorial for the fences at SimPE site: LINK.
When following the tutorial, you have to choose whether to just "recolour" a Maxis fence, or create a new one, with its own mesh.
If the former ("recolour"), be sure to check the "Reference Original Mesh" option.

Moonlight_Muse - I'm sorry! I missed your post...
I don't know if you have solved the problem, but anyway a size of 102 is not standard: all the textures from the roofs are 512x512. I'm surprised that a texture extracted from a maxis roof is exported as 102x102... What roof are you cloning/recolouring?

Scholar
#38 Old 24th May 2006 at 11:11 AM
Hi Numenor,
thanks for the reply and its ok, I know you're busy creating wonderful things, and having a life outside the sims, if there is such a thing, lol

It's not so much of a problem, as the roofs work fine without resizing that tile. I was just curious really.
The main roof tile is 512 x 512, the under texure is 64 x 64, but the first texture file, the Edge texture, opens at an export size of 102 x 102

Attached Screenshot included below of what first opens in the plugin view, before any modification, using the Redroof tile, as per the tutorial.

Thanks again
Screenshots

My Sims 2 videos
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#39 Old 24th May 2006 at 11:23 PM
How odd... I never noticed it! You know, I've explained the recolouring process but I don't use it very often!

I see that the image format for this texture is "Raw24bit", that is unsupported by the DDS utilities anyway.
So, my suggestion is to edit the 102x102 texture without resizing it, and import it in the package using the "Import" menu, instead of the "Build DXT": since the image has no mip-maps, you should not have any image degradation.

Scholar
#40 Old 25th May 2006 at 1:36 PM
Ah, well that explains why the "build DXT" won't import that particular retextured tile, lol.
I've just been leaving the size as it is, and then using the plugin button to import it back instead, which does work ok, so we're all sorted on that
Thanks for the explaination, I appreciate it

My Sims 2 videos
Test Subject
#41 Old 27th May 2006 at 7:10 PM
Thank you, Numenor, for this great tutorial!
I always wished to have a simple black roof without any patterns but with a white edge in my game.
The only problem I have, is, there is no star which stands for custom content... What did I do wrong? This custom roof is my first recolor at all and I don't have any idea about my problem.
Screenshots
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#42 Old 27th May 2006 at 7:21 PM
What game do you have? Base game? Any EPs?

In step 5 of the tutorial I've explained a way to make the custom roof compatible with the base game: if you perform that step, your custom roof will be base-game compliant, BUT will lose the asterisk in the catalogue.

Test Subject
#43 Old 27th May 2006 at 7:34 PM
I have the base game and Universiity, Nightlife and Open for Business.
And I performed all of the steps you describe in the tutorial (except number 4 - I didn't change the GUID).
Does it means, everything is okay with my custom roof?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#44 Old 27th May 2006 at 11:42 PM
If you haven't registered a unique GUID, performing step 5 will create a roof that potentially can create a conflict in other user's games. The chances are quite low, but if you plan to upload you roof to MTS2 you should alert the users about this potential issue.
On the other hand, if you created the roof for personal use, obviously there is no risk of conflicts; but then, the step 5 is useless, because your game is not a base game, and therefore is pointless to make your roof base-game compliant...

In other words:
- step 5 is optional, not required;
- if you are creating a roof for personal use, you should perform step 5 only if you have the base game only (no EPs);
- if you are going to publish your custom roof, and want to publish it as base-game compliant, you should register a unique GUID before performing the step 5; or you can avoid registering a unique GUID and omit step 5 (and the resulting roof will require an EP in order to work).

Test Subject
#45 Old 28th May 2006 at 4:57 PM
Thank you for the explanation, Numenor.
I plan to use my custom roofs in houses for my website and not to upload only the roofs. My houses are installable with the three EPs, so I don't need to make them base-game compliant, what means I can omit step 4 and 5... right?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#46 Old 28th May 2006 at 9:49 PM
Right

Field Researcher
#47 Old 7th Jun 2006 at 1:08 PM
I'm having some problem with roof recolouring - in 0.58 I noticed that its not possible to uncheck create standalone object when cloning a roof, secondly despite following the instructions my roof still over-writes the original it is based on as well as having a second instance of itself in the catalogue.
After doing the same method with 0.50b it works, however the roof thumbnail doesn't have the custom content flower which worries me - can this be fixed?

Edit: ignore that last bit - re-read the thread

www.parsimonious.org
Artists - Get your own Studio! Always be featured!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#48 Old 7th Jun 2006 at 10:45 PM
The "Create Stand-alone" option is irrelevant for roofs, so Quaxi decided to grey it out, as well as some other useless options. Don't worry about it.

As for the overwriting problem, have you used a unique GUID of your own, or have you just accepted the one suggested by SimPE (that should be random, anyway, and thus quite safe...)?
Try changing the GUID (remember to replace all the occurrences of the GUID, as explained in the tutorial).

Lab Assistant
#49 Old 5th Jul 2006 at 5:23 PM
Numenor: i need your help please. I did the tutorial * great tutorial Numenor* but when I got it into my game it was not colored green but it was sort of white. I know it is on my end would you be able to tell me what I did wrong??

I used the color green and followered you instructions to the tee. I did not put anything in for a guid number as I don't have one yet.

One more question when you do the build thingy do you change the top number in the box? I noticed your had a 7 there. * I did change all of the number to a 7 when it poped up. Could this have been the problem ??

Thank you JM
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#50 Old 5th Jul 2006 at 9:06 PM
Please, JM, post your package, because I don't understand what does it mean that the green look white... Are you really sure you didn't confuse the main texture with the bump map?

As for the GUID, as said, it's not a compulsory step to perform; therefore, it is safe to skip the whole GUID changing.

Lastly, about the number that you changed to 7: I don't understand what number you are talking about. Is it perhaps the "Model Name" that is suggested when the Scenegraph Rename Wizard pops up? The one that in my tutorial is labelled as "Do not change anything"?

Page 2 of 5