Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jan 2023 at 4:34 AM
Default A Mod for a Swordfighting Skill
Hello! I wanted to discuss an idea I have for a gameplay mod, and I would love to receive any feedback, ideas and suggestions, and help for this.

Medieval/historical gameplay has been quite popular along with TSM conversions. I absolutely love TSM and there's so much amazing content and skills in the game that I reckon if adapted to TS3 could really enhance historical gameplay.

Namely, I would like to start with swordfighting. I was inspired by this mod https://modthesims.info/d/639251/th...18-12-2020.html by CyrusBanefort, which introduces a dueling interaction utilising code from the martial arts skill and converted TSM animations. I was thinking of expanding on this idea to make swordfighting its own skill.

I like the prospect of it working similarly to the martial arts skill - wherein sims can train themselves using the training dummies from TSM, converted into a functional skill object, and more interactions unlock as levels are gained. This would include sparring with and dueling others who have the skill, threatening sims for money, and performing the special moves that are unlocked when proficiency is increased during fights. I think it would be a great way to spice up medieval saves!

I would also like to have functional swords from TSM available for sims to use. They would be purchased in buy mode and like the wands from Supernatural, they can improve chances of winning duels and etc. A separate Blacksmithing skill would be amazing, converting the forge and allowing the swords to be craftable from cut gems and ingots, but I'm getting ahead of myself!

Now, there is (hopefully) one huge problem with all this: I have never modded nor coded/programmed anything in my life, and I have absolutely no idea where to start lol. However, I'm willing to learn how to do these things so I can finally contribute to this game's amazing modding community. So I would really appreciate any pointers on how I can start with this, and if it's even possible to do! Thank you for taking the time to read this!
Advertisement
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#2 Old 18th Jan 2023 at 6:59 PM
So there's quite a bit to this mod, so the best thing would be to just start with one small aspect and build it up.

For example you could start by making the sword fighting sparring dummy object that runs a simple interaction of your sim walking up to it, and then displaying a notification. The object modding tutorial would help you here, by showing you how to make a new type of game object, and make an interaction added to it.

You could then use the custom skill tutorial to make a swordfighting skill, and then start to work on making the sparring dummy interaction actually look better and increase the sim's swordfighting skill.

That's already a fair amount to do, so if I were you that's what I would start to work on and don't worry about the rest until afterwards.

To get started, you could just have a browse of the game's code with a decompiler eg ILSpy or DNSpy. You can extract the dlls yourself or use ones already extracted (NRaas has ones but I can't find them right now, there are ones here http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUp...e/uploads/1686/ which are slightly old at patch 1.66 but I use them and have had no problems. I think 1.66 is functionally the same as 1.67/1.69 code wise) and just try to get to grips with the sims 3 code, especially the martial arts interactions.
It might also help to look at some beginner c# and object oriented programming tutorials.

But to do any code, you will need to set up an IDE like Visual Studio or Sharp Develop. For VS there is an old tutorial (https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti..._Studio_project) but the steps will be slightly different for the latest version.
You can also use Sharp Develop (https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=632267) which may be an easier environment but I haven't used it myself.

And checkout the various tutorials here on MTS, on wiki, and PuddingFace has some on youtube too!

But I'd say the key thing would be to start with something very small to get working as your first mod, and build it up from there
Scholar
#3 Old 20th Jan 2023 at 12:09 PM
Hi @permulance Just yesterday I uploaded a tutorial on custom skill.

And I also have beginner getting started tutorial and tutorial on interactions and moodlets on my channel. Let me know if you have any queries.

Knowing how to make interactions with custom animations and new moodlets and new skill. You will be able to create this new system.

If you like my mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon
Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Follow me on Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr