Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 11:31 AM
Default Disney to Buy Marvel for $4 Billion
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090...vel-disney.html

When I first heard of this, I was like,
I don't want to see 'X-Men Origins: Hannah Montana', thank you.
Well, let's see what happens...

"Go on, the world is your canvas."
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 11:41 AM
According to Lewis Black, Disney is more evil than scientology. I have to disagree with him. Disney has no forced abortions or beatings at the hands of the 'leader' that I'm aware of. Unlike scientology.

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos...ntology-madigan

Was ABC not enough? Greedy bastards.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 1:10 PM
I don't see this ending well but I'm trying very hard to be optimistic. Spiderman should be fine because he's the Marvel mascot and more kid-friendly than the other Marvel characters . He's had plenty of G-rated cartoon series before and even the new Spectacular Spiderman cartoon is pretty tame compared to the previous incarnations. Heck, even Fantastic Four has a chance of surviving this and a family friendly F4 movie made by Pixar (along the same vein as The Incredibles) is sure to be a success. I'm more concerned about Punisher, Deadpool and X-Men; Wolverine in particular.

If we're lucky, Disney will leave the Marvel comics to the Marvel creative team, you know, the people who write and develop the actual characters, so they won't end up pussifying Frank Castle and the other bad-asses in the Marvel universe.

The only thing I can predict is Marvel characters in the next Kingdom Hearts game which I do.not.want. But, who knows, they might pull it off... (trying to be optimistic) provided they leave aforementioned Marvel bad-asses out of it. Seriously, Wolverine fighting heartless... pretty weak.
Instructor
#4 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 1:37 PM
I can't wait for the new movies. Spiderman fighting against evil fluffy bunnies, awww, that will be so cute...
Forum Resident
#5 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 2:24 PM
All I will say it this is it for Marvel. If it goes through, Disney will kill them through kiddy style approved disagreement. Not violence. I'm sorry, but a super hero is meant to fight a villain out to cause mass destruction and death, not Disney style evil that Dark Wing Duck could fight.

In addition, with Wizkids saved just last month thanks to a buyout. This almost assuredly kills them too as they will have an extreem hard time getting rights to Marvel material for Heroclix. DC is bad enough with their rules, Disney is obseced with theirs.

Erasing One Big Astounding Mistake All-around
Theorist
#6 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 2:38 PM
Sisaly, Disney also owns ESPN as well...

Not happy at all about this. I grew up in a world where there was DC and Marvel comics, arch-rivals comparable to the Michigan/Ohio State rivalry, with fierce arguments with classmates over who could beat who...was Superman physically stronger than the Hulk? Could Wolverine take down Batman? etc...Those days are long gone for...okay, maybe not...anyway this is going to end badly. Either Disney will completely bury Marvel (most likely, I think) or they will throw their money behind it, tone it down, and attempt to drive DC out of business. Either way, we lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama on ABC's This Week, discussing Obamacare
What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore
umm...Isn't having other people carry your medical burden exactly what national health care is?
Theorist
#7 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 2:45 PM
I found this on the matter:

Quote: Originally posted by *shibamura-prime
Disney acquires Marvel Rant
Journal Entry: Mon Aug 31, 2009, 10:26 AM

So I'm sure most, if not all of you have heard the news that Disney Enterprises has acquired Marvel Entertainment (pending some legal and shareholder mumbo jumbo). And I've noticed more than a little chatter about how Mickey Mouse is gonna team up with Spider-man and how the world is coming to an end.

Well, it isn't.

CALM THE FUCK DOWN.

When AOL Time Warner acquired DC Comics, did they stick Marvin the Martian in every Batman cartoon? Did Lex Luthor run off a cliff chasing Superman and didn't fall until he noticed there was no ground underneath him anymore?

NO.

So what did happen? We got Batman: The Animated Series. We got Cartoon Network bankrolling Justice League Unlimited. We got BATMAN FUCKING BEGINS. We got Warner entertainment execs going into to DC's offices and teaching them to get their act together and MAKE MONEY.

In my opinion, this can do nothing but HELP Marvel. Did we forget about the catastrophic bankruptcy Marvel Comics went through in the late 1990's (I'm sure many of you DON'T, you're too damn young). Things got so bad, that fucking ToyBiz bought them out so they wouldn't have to sell off all of their properties. TOYBIZ. The toy company that Marvel CREATED. And Marvel has yet to fully recover from that bankruptcy.

Warner didn't go around changing shit in DC, and neither will Disney. If you haven't noticed, Disney has had a large stake in Marvel for the last few years already. You guys just haven't taken the time to notice. How do you think The Spectacular Spider-man got off the ground? That's right. Disney dollars. So SHUT UP.

Will we see Mickey figures dressed as Spidey? Yeah, probably. But that'll be the extent of it. Marvel needs to get its head out of its ass and start making shit that people LIKE again. And Disney, with the right raw materials, knows how to get that done. Marvel needs all the help that it can get. Compare the crappy Lionsgate Marvel releases like Doctor Strange and Hulk Vs. to Warner Premiere's Wonder Woman and Green Lantern: First Flight. There's NO comparison.

Sure movies like X2 and Spider-man two are incredible. But for every one of these we get, we get a dozen pieces of crap such as Punisher: War Zone and Ghost Rider. Crap like that happens because of poor, unexperienced producers and shoestring budgets. Two things that Disney will not stand for.

And think of what a Disney-backed animation budget with professional animators and storyboard artists could do with properties like Captain America and The Fantastic Four. If they play their cards right (which you know Disney will, they're not about to risk losing money and a rabid fanbase) this could be nothing short of AWESOME.

Oh, and those of you that Disney is just about the Magic Kingdom and Donald Duck? May I remind you that they also are in charge of Hollywood Pictures, Touchstone Pictures, Dreamworks, ImageMovers Digital, Miramax and PIXAR!!!

So I say wait and see, and give Disney the benefit of a doubt. And stop complaining. Right now the worst part of this acquisition are all the fans bitching and moaning.

Link

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 2:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by davious
Sisaly, Disney also owns ESPN as well...

Not happy at all about this. I grew up in a world where there was DC and Marvel comics, arch-rivals comparable to the Michigan/Ohio State rivalry, with fierce arguments with classmates over who could beat who...was Superman physically stronger than the Hulk? Could Wolverine take down Batman? etc...Those days are long gone for...okay, maybe not...anyway this is going to end badly. Either Disney will completely bury Marvel (most likely, I think) or they will throw their money behind it, tone it down, and attempt to drive DC out of business. Either way, we lose.

Someone pointed out to me that WB (Warner Brothers) owns DC so it's even more of a rivalry now but with Warner Brothers you expect the violence and dirty language; with Disney, not so much. I want to believe DC wins by default since Disney's going to make everything G-rated. Yes! They did Pirates of the Caribbean but only the first movie is worth mentioning and even that was pretty tame compared to other WB blockbusters.

Just because Disney could afford to buy out Marvel doesn't mean they should have. It's hard to see them doing the Marvel Universe any justice and I can't help but feel betrayed by Marvel for whoring itself out to Disney like that. Yeah, it's that one guy we have to blame, I can't remember his name right now.
Theorist
#9 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 3:36 PM
I just do NOT want to see a G-rated Punisher! My biggest concern is not only does Disney tone Marvel down, but that it also uses its considerable power to drive DC out, leaving us with only one comic universe, that Disney controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama on ABC's This Week, discussing Obamacare
What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore
umm...Isn't having other people carry your medical burden exactly what national health care is?
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 4:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by davious
I just do NOT want to see a G-rated Punisher! My biggest concern is not only does Disney tone Marvel down, but that it also uses its considerable power to drive DC out, leaving us with only one comic universe, that Disney controls.

Then Disney will be to comic books as EA is to video games.

To Petchy, whether you share that poster's views or not, come on, can't us ranters and doom sayers have our fun? Since the inception of humanity we've been preaching the apocalypse and the end of the world. Why? I dunno, it sells papers. I love jumping on bandwagons like this and, whether I take the matter seriously or not it gets the adrenaline pumping.

I say let the Marvel fanboys and Disney haters stand on their soap box now. All the hubub won't last for very long anyway and all will be forgotten in due time.
Scholar
#11 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 4:28 PM
The quoted post by Petchy sums up my reaction fairly nicely.

One more thing though, DC Vertigo >> Marvel, so personally I couldn't care less if Marvel goes down the crapshoot. It's not like that's anything new for them

.:Kitty Klan:.
Visit for Sims 3 Hair, Tattoos, and other free custom content downloads.

.For website updates, subscribe to my RSS feed at.
Dreamwidth Blog
Theorist
#12 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 4:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CuddlesdaTeddlyBear
....To Petchy, whether you share that poster's views or not, come on, can't us ranters and doom sayers have our fun?...

Oh, Its just something I came upon while browsing, and then I found this thread here, so I posted his views on the topic.
I personally have no opinion - I think that whatever happens from this will happen - and I'm not that into Comic Books
Have your fun as much as you want! I'm not exactly going to stop you!

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Scholar
#13 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 5:06 PM
OH god when I first herd about this my mind went to "oh fuck" there goes anymore good marvel movies. My second thought was "My god this is kingdom hearts all over again." Micky mouse is gonna be fighting along side mutants with Donald duck and all his friends and somehow be stronger. -_-() You'd think the Disney monster would be forced to stop some where.

Fun fact: While talking to some higher ups at disneyland while working there I learned disney keeps buying things to avoid being accused of monopolizing... ... YEAH. Don't see how that really works.

Disclaimer: I am just being a goof ball, please ignore me if offended.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 8:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DrowningFishy
OH god when I first herd about this my mind went to "oh fuck" there goes anymore good marvel movies. My second thought was "My god this is kingdom hearts all over again." Micky mouse is gonna be fighting along side mutants with Donald duck and all his friends and somehow be stronger. -_-() You'd think the Disney monster would be forced to stop some where.

Fun fact: While talking to some higher ups at disneyland while working there I learned disney keeps buying things to avoid being accused of monopolizing... ... YEAH. Don't see how that really works.

I can actually see, in their twisted minds, where that makes sense... to them. They want to assimilate other companies so they aren't known for being the only company that has the monopoly on children's movies.

Like I said... it makes sense to them.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 8:02 AM
Holy crap, 4 billion? There's an island just off Australia, that went for 65 million dollars. I can tell you one thing, Disney's rollin' in it. :O

Three equals four.
Alchemist
#17 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 10:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Amish Nick_SC
All I will say it this is it for Marvel. If it goes through, Disney will kill them through kiddy style approved disagreement. Not violence. I'm sorry, but a super hero is meant to fight a villain out to cause mass destruction and death, not Disney style evil that Dark Wing Duck could fight.

TT_____________TT
so freakin true.

._. theyll probably even censor bloodshed. *will miss that* like how nobody BLEEDS in anything by Disney. ever. nobody has blood in Disneyland.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 10:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SuicidiaParasidia
TT_____________TT
so freakin true.

._. theyll probably even censor bloodshed. *will miss that* like how nobody BLEEDS in anything by Disney. ever. nobody has blood in Disneyland.

Only blood I remember in a Disney movie...
-A guy gets hit on the head by the old man in 'Up', it bleeds a bit.
Umm that's pretty much it. Haha.

"Go on, the world is your canvas."
Theorist
#19 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 11:20 AM
I really don't picture Disney screwing around much and killing anything they just paid $4 billion dollars for. Here's what I see happening:

ABC (owned by Disney) gets Marvel Comics cartoons.Marvel theme parks or theme park components of existing theme parks. At least one animated movie featuring a Marvel property created by Disney studio animators, or a "separate" Disney animation studio for Marvel properties. A slight push for Disney demographic casting in Marvel property non-animated features. A separate but more directed approach to the "kid friendly" Marvel publications. Disney/Marvel reacquires the full licensing rights to their properties (X-Men, Wolverine, Daredevil, The Fantastic Four, and Spider-Man all have elements of the properties licensed out to Fox and Sony currently). The Runaways movie is made, but is a horrible disappointment to anyone who's actually read the comics and a smash hit at the box office.

Actually I'm wondering if Disney's really coming in too late for this. A move like this before all of the Marvel movies that have already been made would have been prophetic. Now though, I'm wondering just how much juice Thor and the Captain America movies, not to mention Deadpool, are going to bring to Disney. Despite the protests and legal actions by Marvel shareholders to stop this, I've got to question on whether or not Disney might actually be getting screwed by an inflated price, unless they're thinking extremely long term for intellectual properties.
Forum Resident
#20 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 7:40 PM
4 bil. might be a lot for a comic book company, but to Disney, its not really a lot. They have a lot thanks to all their into.

If Marvel really wanted out, I would have prefered to have seen them sell out to Hasbro over Disney.

Hasbro already owns Wizards of the Coast, who bought out Dungeons and Dragons and is mostly doing it hands off style of ownership. They also own GI Joe and Transformers on top of many other lines already. Let an industry handle Marvel that has experience in such a line. Not Disney.

Erasing One Big Astounding Mistake All-around
Scholar
#21 Old 4th Sep 2009 at 9:00 AM
People still watch flicks put out by these companies? YIKES!

Expect to see more kids looking up to Miley Cyrus and violent crap on the streets amongst high school children.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 2:18 AM
In This Thread: companies are actually Pyramid schemes, 2-3 companies on all other companies.

The monetary system will surely kill us all.
Test Subject
#23 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 8:32 AM
Spiderman and Wolverine singing really bad songs for cash :D