Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#13776 Old 30th May 2018 at 7:01 PM
Making a vampire does not create or destroy any extraneous user data, and it doesn't alter any program files, so no, it doesn't cause corruption.
Putting your packaged lot files somewhere else for long-term storage may or may not speed your load time; but it sure won't hurt. Just don't change the package extension.
A file name is just a file name. Nothing is unsafe to rename; or to compressorize, which is the other prime method of reducing load time.
You should, of course, back up everything before you do anything, anyway. Because stuff happens.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Advertisement
Theorist
#13777 Old 30th May 2018 at 7:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
Back to more stupid randomness.

I've been working on cleaning up my Downloads, getting rid of some of the folders within folders within folders that really don't make much sense being that sub-foldered, removing stuff that either didn't download properly (apparently, I didn't check right after), and most of all, trying to shorten file names a little, getting rid of the extra package in the package.package files, and the @s, &s, extra spaces, parens, etc. in the file names, mostly using the Bulk Renamer (sometimes, though, I can't change the files that way, so I go in manually). Before this, I thought some of you who have done this were probably imagining that the game loads so much more quickly.

Well, you are right and I am wrong. I am only 1/3 of the way through my folders (I have more than 1400 of them ... this may take a while!), and already, I see minutes being shaved off the loading time. The game used to take me 15 minutes or more to load. It now takes me about 11-12 minutes. I can't wait to see what it does once I've finished.

Anyway, is it safe to do this to mods? Or will that mess the mod up somehow? Are there any files I really shouldn't touch while doing this?

Also:

1. May I simply take all my packaged lot files out and store them elsewhere? I already have done most of this de facto while doing backups. Does a hefty packaged lot folder affect loading time? I have an awful lot of packaged lots; about half of them mine. (I'm a prolific lot creator. Not a great one ... just prolific!)

2. And in something completely unrelated, and I think the question got buried in my previous verbosity, can you have vampires in hoods without a Downtown? It's easy enough to make the supernaturals using a mod or Sim PE. Or will that corrupt anything?

The only mod I know of where you absolutely can not change the name is the one for names. That mod has to stay named live.package or it wont work. I dunno the what's 'n why, just that's the way it is.

The only other mod I've had issue working after renamin was ACR.
The way I rename my CC/ mods allows me to identify it's function, where I got it, who made it, and what is is.
As an example: X - Cyjon - CJ - Smarter EP Check. (X=mod)
Inventor
#13778 Old 30th May 2018 at 11:56 PM
Is there a way to create custom neighborhood templates without SimCity 4?

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Theorist
#13779 Old 31st May 2018 at 12:21 AM
Before I do any SimPE codin change, are boys and girls jeans interchangeable? I mean do they fit ok and work decent enough w/ shirts? I know that they share many other things, such as the overall shorts or outerwear, but wasn't sure if jeans would look ok if shared.
Mad Poster
#13780 Old 31st May 2018 at 1:51 AM
Depends on the age group I believe. I know child Sims have the same shape for both genders, but I believe above that they differ.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Theorist
#13781 Old 31st May 2018 at 2:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
Depends on the age group I believe. I know child Sims have the same shape for both genders, but I believe above that they differ.

Thanks gummi child is age I meant. I said boys 'n girls, but forgot to say children.
Test Subject
#13782 Old 31st May 2018 at 11:38 AM
Hey guys, just a quick question.

I’ve got the super collection for Mac and would like to get the Emerald heights & Sedona as my downtown or shopping district. In the install instructions it doesn’t mention the location in which these should be put and none of the others are applicable.
I was searching around here but found no topics concerning this. Thank you for help!
Scholar
#13783 Old 31st May 2018 at 11:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat
The only mod I know of where you absolutely can not change the name is the one for names. That mod has to stay named live.package or it wont work. I dunno the what's 'n why, just that's the way it is.

For Live.package overrides, if you change the group number to 0x7F96C284 then the file can have any name.
If you type 'Live' into a name referencing file the resulting group it gives you is 0x7F96C284, the same concept applies to any overrides to files in the Game's Text folder.
Mad Poster
#13784 Old 31st May 2018 at 1:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mimipossa
Hey guys, just a quick question.

I’ve got the super collection for Mac and would like to get the Emerald heights & Sedona as my downtown or shopping district. In the install instructions it doesn’t mention the location in which these should be put and none of the others are applicable.
I was searching around here but found no topics concerning this. Thank you for help!

I don't know how Macs arrange things, but if you can do a search for D001, the name of the Maxis downtown template, the downtown templates should go into the same folder. Similarly, B001 is the template for Bluewater Village, and all your subhood templates should go into that folder.

Don't forget Mootilda's fix that will let you actually access them from the Add a Subhood screen. I sure hope that works for Macs, because if it doesn't I'm afraid you're out of luck, unless someone comes along who can translate the fix for Mac users.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
#13785 Old 31st May 2018 at 8:08 PM Last edited by mimipossa : 31st May 2018 at 8:09 PM. Reason: Forgot the picture
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
I don't know how Macs arrange things, but if you can do a search for D001, the name of the Maxis downtown template, the downtown templates should go into the same folder. Similarly, B001 is the template for Bluewater Village, and all your subhood templates should go into that folder.

Don't forget Mootilda's fix that will let you actually access them from the Add a Subhood screen. I sure hope that works for Macs, because if it doesn't I'm afraid you're out of luck, unless someone comes along who can translate the fix for Mac users.

Thank you, mootildas mod should be fine, but the folders are confusing. I’m attaching a screenshot here. Seems like I can just pop it into the neighborhood folder? I’m using an empty neighborhood so no need for Characters/Storytelling. (Not that I wouldn’t love to have the characters in the neighborhood but the method for adding multiple populated sub-hoods doesn’t work for macOS :/

Anyway, I’m just gonna try it and see.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#13786 Old 31st May 2018 at 8:10 PM
If you pop it into the normal Neighborhood folder, it won't be available as a Downtown or Subhood. Those have to be in the Program Files, not the Data Files.

Looking at the screenshot that magically appeared after I posted, those are clearly the Data Files. You want the game installation files.

What happens when you search for B001?

Alchemist
#13787 Old 31st May 2018 at 8:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Primavera
Is there a way to create custom neighborhood templates without SimCity 4?
as far as I am aware, SimCity4 is the only way to make/edit SC4 files.
Test Subject
#13788 Old 31st May 2018 at 8:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
If you pop it into the normal Neighborhood folder, it won't be available as a Downtown or Subhood. Those have to be in the Program Files, not the Data Files.

Looking at the screenshot that magically appeared after I posted, those are clearly the Data Files. You want the game installation files.

What happens when you search for B001?

Oooh right! Yep, figured it out. Silly me, I didn’t look at the installation instructions properly, turns out they are almost identical for super collection. Good to know, thank you very much! Have a great rest of the day
Alchemist
#13789 Old 31st May 2018 at 9:16 PM
Hood Replacer program.
"Terrain" option; is it both shape and color or just shape?
Mad Poster
#13790 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 12:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mimipossa
Thank you, mootildas mod should be fine, but the folders are confusing. I’m attaching a screenshot here. Seems like I can just pop it into the neighborhood folder? I’m using an empty neighborhood so no need for Characters/Storytelling. (Not that I wouldn’t love to have the characters in the neighborhood but the method for adding multiple populated sub-hoods doesn’t work for macOS :/

Anyway, I’m just gonna try it and see.

Mac files go in different places than they would on a PC. Here's a post telling where Downloads and Neighborhood templates need to go on a Mac

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...207#post4498207
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#13791 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 12:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
Hood Replacer program.
"Terrain" option; is it both shape and color or just shape?

Just the shape (AFAIK anyway).

You can change the terrain type with a cheat.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Inventor
#13792 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 1:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
as far as I am aware, SimCity4 is the only way to make/edit SC4 files.

Well darn it . But thank you for clarifying!

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Mad Poster
#13793 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 1:27 AM
SC4 is still available if you look in the right places, Primavera. I got mine for $5 on e-bay. And it's not hard to learn to use, either; or anyway, no harder than anything else.

Instructor
#13794 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 3:10 AM
@Primavera: Have you tried Origin? I'm not sure if they still have it up, but I bought SC4 thru Origin (*growls in contempt*) years ago for $15 or $20. It was worth it, I use it for building 'hoods and I enjoy playing it. Or, listen to Peni and get it for way cheaper someplace else.
Inventor
#13795 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 3:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gremily_
@Primavera: Have you tried Origin? I'm not sure if they still have it up, but I bought SC4 thru Origin (*growls in contempt*) years ago for $15 or $20. It was worth it, I use it for building 'hoods and I enjoy playing it. Or, listen to Peni and get it for way cheaper someplace else.

I have not actually! I'm pretty sure the paid version is still available, but I don't know for sure because I'm away from my desktop at the moment. I only asked because I wanted to do some neighborhood building of my own.

EDIT: And thanks for the info Peni, but I wish I had an extra $5 on hand to pay for a legit copy digitally. If there's a free legit copy anywhere I'm definitely gonna snatch it.

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Field Researcher
#13796 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 4:37 AM
You can buy Simcity 4 deluxe on Amazon for $1.49 from one seller all the way up to $8.95. I bought a copy from Amazon a long time ago that I could download since I was always losing the CD. I don't see that option now but might not be looking in the right place. Anyway, it is very inexpensive.
Inventor
#13797 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 4:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jain
You can buy Simcity 4 deluxe on Amazon for $1.49 from one seller all the way up to $8.95. I bought a copy from Amazon a long time ago that I could download since I was always losing the CD. I don't see that option now but might not be looking in the right place. Anyway, it is very inexpensive.

Oh cool! I'll consider this whenever I get some extra money

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Mad Poster
#13798 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 10:22 AM Last edited by gazania : 1st Jun 2018 at 3:37 PM.
Every once in a long while, I get this, and usually, I go to a backup. But this time, I'd rather not lose my progress.

Rarely, I'll get a driver doing a walk-by in a hood ... maybe one every two or three years. In this case, I even have a carpool remaining long after it dropped off a Sim, coming around a second time, and driving off. While in this case, the walk-by driver got a thought bubble with my Sim's picture, he simply waved and walked off, He did not linger to talk to my Sim, nor did my Sim interact with him. Honestly, it looks more like a carpool glitch that Maxis coding resolved than a sign of corruption.

I considered immediately moving my Sims out of the lot (I did not save), but that might be premature panicking. I did a Hoodchecker cleaning, just in case. The driver was not in my Sim's panel, nor was he even mentioned in the Hoodchecker, so at least that's good.

SHOULD I be concerned? Or just consider it a glitch and play on? Did anyone else ever get a strange walkby who simply just walked by?

This has not affected the other families I tried.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#13799 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 12:42 PM
Nothing wrong there gazania - you get that with resets. It's not a problem. There's no need to go to a back up for that.

I bought my (last) copy of SC4 from GOG - no Securom and designed to run on Windoze 7 without problems.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Instructor
#13800 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 5:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Primavera
I have not actually! I'm pretty sure the paid version is still available, but I don't know for sure because I'm away from my desktop at the moment. I only asked because I wanted to do some neighborhood building of my own.

'Hood building is super fun--whether for your own enjoyment or to share with others. I always get really excited when I hear of other people neighborhooding.
Page 552 of 1338