Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 2:52 AM
Default Arched Roof Design
I recently saw an episode of Grand Designs where a house was built that featured an arched roof built out of clay bricks and it inspired me. I've tried various things with the ol' boolprop trick but can't for the life of me get anything close to what I want. I found a Sims 2 tutorial for something similar but it was more of a outdoor atrium whereas I want a fully enclosed building with an arched roof. Anyone got any ideas on how to achieve this sort of thing?
Advertisement
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 4:42 AM
You have the right idea, you need CFE and -a lot- of patience. You wouldn't be able to place the windows. I would explain it to you but is is a pretty legnthy tutorial if I go into depth. The basics of it would be...

Raise be 7 on the first tile in
then 5 on the next tile in
then 3
the 2
then 1
and the rest could be flat or however.

It will take time, it is the best way to explain it to you right now really :p

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 2:27 PM
What about using individual roof angles?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 6:56 PM Last edited by jokera_us : 7th Jul 2009 at 7:02 PM. Reason: more views
i found this report. has more pictures. may help the design process out a bit
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...wing-board.html
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 7:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jokera_us
i found this report. has more pictures. may help the design process out a bit
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...wing-board.html

Thanks. Those pictures help me alot. I think I've figured out a way to build the roof, but I'm afraid there won't be any roof to look at from the inside untill EA fixes it (if they will).
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 10:50 PM
I threw this together right quick as an example of how it might look with differing roof slope angles. It's not a perfect match as I just put up some walls and slapped on some "paint" rather than copying the architecture exactly.

I did try to do something with CFE along the lines of what QBUILDERZ suggested, similar to how you make arched bridges, but I just don't have the patience for an arch of that scale.. especially considering with the different sloped roof it took about 5-10 minutes .

Speaking of CFE though, I did actually use it on that example pic .. at the top point of the roof I actually used a 4th floor set of wall and used CFE to lower it, a bit too much I think, but that could be refined.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 3:55 AM
Bah never thought to use the differing roof height trick, that looks like the closet way of achieving what I want.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 4:29 PM
ok another slam of pics! I HATE THE CAMERA CONTROLS IN SIMS3

just see if you can decipher anything for now. ill have to come back and add some descriptions.

after an hour of monkeying around i came up with something. not quite like feldynn!

here are my beginning attempts

turn off the cheats

final result for now.

im missing some of the interior shots!

I think ill try the mod for camera manipulations
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 10:16 PM
Default Irony.... ;-)
Quote: Originally posted by Freakeh
I recently saw an episode of Grand Designs where a house was built that featured an arched roof built out of clay bricks and it inspired me. I've tried various things with the ol' boolprop trick but can't for the life of me get anything close to what I want. I found a Sims 2 tutorial for something similar but it was more of a outdoor atrium whereas I want a fully enclosed building with an arched roof. Anyone got any ideas on how to achieve this sort of thing?

I just watched the same episode of "Grand Designs" a couple hours ago. I just did a google search for Sims 3 Arched Roof... and the thumbnail for this item came up first. cracked me up as wanting to build a sims 3 vsn of this house was my goal. So glad You made this, well done.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 10:20 PM
Default Where can I download this house?
Quote: Originally posted by feldynn
I threw this together right quick as an example of how it might look with differing roof slope angles. It's not a perfect match as I just put up some walls and slapped on some "paint" rather than copying the architecture exactly.

I did try to do something with CFE along the lines of what QBUILDERZ suggested, similar to how you make arched bridges, but I just don't have the patience for an arch of that scale.. especially considering with the different sloped roof it took about 5-10 minutes .

Speaking of CFE though, I did actually use it on that example pic .. at the top point of the roof I actually used a 4th floor set of wall and used CFE to lower it, a bit too much I think, but that could be refined.

Sweet looking Grand Designs home. I looked through the list of built lots of yours , but it is not there. ;-/
dodgy builder
#11 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 8:27 AM
Did you notice how old this thread is? It's also important to notice the poster has only 59 posts from registering in 2009. This person is not around. If you want to find a house, post in wcif or "where can I find" subforum to the sims3 discussion forum.