Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jan 2024 at 10:04 AM
Default Going on another save without quitting the game first
I was just wondering... since starting a new save without quitting first causes corruption and all. Is quitting first important at all times or only when creating NEW saves? Is it best to also do it when I'm loading up another save?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 27th Jan 2024 at 12:11 PM
Well I’ve heard sometimes it causes the ghosts to be treated as households
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Jan 2024 at 12:25 PM
I’m wondering if it’s okay to do it without quitting when loading up an existing save though.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 27th Jan 2024 at 1:20 PM
I don't know about corruption. What however happens is memory problems. Your next save will not have enough memory available because the previous one will have not discarded all if you don't close the game completely. That happens regardless of whether you load something new or not.
Scholar
#5 Old 27th Jan 2024 at 3:09 PM
Also I seem to recall that, if you have certain cheats active in a save and forget to de-activate them, they will still be active in the next thing you load, whether it's an existing save or a new one. Things take longer to load in either case. Best practice is to always quit the game first. Making sure you have saved any progress you want to keep, of course!

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 27th Jan 2024 at 3:47 PM
The game does not "tidy up" well enough just going back to the main menu and starting a different save, no matter if it's an existing one or a new one. Some data will "bleed" into the next save. This for example affects lighting or cheats, sometimes sims attributes or other things.

So it's better to quit first before starting a different save.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 27th Jan 2024 at 6:40 PM
This is actually intentional, not a bug. EA failed to have TS3 clear the contents of RAM in between game save loads (new saves or existing, doesn't matter) strictly to mess with our heads. It's all part of a complex psychological experiment and they have been monitoring our reactions to the messes this causes ever since 2009. We hope the results of this experiment will soon be published in the appropriate technical journals.

Okay, it's a bug. Our recommendation is to never load up or create a save from the Main Menu after having offloaded one without quitting and restarting the game first, no matter how inconvenient that seems.
Scholar
#8 Old 29th Jan 2024 at 7:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DaOnlyLonely
I’m wondering if it’s okay to do it without quitting when loading up an existing save though.

Existing save is bad too. I found this out the hard way. The cemeteries empty and the houses fill up with wonky ancestors, which I suppose could be entertaining, but the save is corrupted so we'll never know.