Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#26 Old 1st Mar 2019 at 7:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
For that, I have a bunch of folders of lots, all categorized. When I know I'm going to need a particular one, I switch out the "everyday" folder for that one and name it so that the game recognizes it.

That sounds really useful. Have you written how to do this down somewhere so I could try it - like which folders and stuff?
Advertisement
Theorist
#27 Old 1st Mar 2019 at 7:50 PM
I saw on Tumblr that you're already fiddling with this, and it's a fabulous idea! I don't think I could have done all of the stuff above because it's out of my current skill set, so thank you (again) for taking a look at this. Even if it's a bit flawed if the "lights" don't turn off during the day, I think it'll make for some great night shots and would be really use for storytellers and picture-takers, especially.

I don't know it's possible for a lot object to be turned on and off from the neighborhood - they seem like two completely separate things to me with the effects and terrain not showing from lot view? I certainly couldn't do it that's for sure! If it's just for deco on unoccupied lots in the neighborhood view you'd get a much nicer effect making a set of lighted window panes as neighborhood deco to place over lot windows I'd think. And of course they'd turn off and on during the day/night.
Undead Molten Llama
#28 Old 1st Mar 2019 at 8:01 PM Last edited by iCad : 1st Mar 2019 at 8:12 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
That sounds really useful. Have you written how to do this down somewhere so I could try it - like which folders and stuff?

There's really no trick to it. When I build a lot, I save a copy to the bin and, when I exit the game, if it's not a lot I think I'll use often, it gets moved to one of the "inactive" folders that are on my Simming computer's desktop. I have a folder for community lots, one for "rustic" lots that don't have, for instance, indoor plumbing, one for multi-family lots, one for desert-specific lots, etc. Doing it this way, you have to be careful about file names, since the game numbers them sequentially when binned. So, you can end up with lots with the same file name and you could overwrite files accidentally. (I'm actually not sure if you can rename them so they no longer have the cx_000000xx format, so they could have more meaningful names that can't overwrite each other. I keep meaning to test that but...haven't. )

Anyway, if you don't want to do it that way, with the accompanying being careful of file names and all that, you can just package lots as you make them and then store them somewhere in categorized folders. Because the nice thing about the lot bin/catalog is that you can add to it while the game is running, either by installing new lots from package files or just putting new files in the folder. The next time you pull up the lot bin, the catalog refreshes, so the "new" lots will be there. So, if I've got the game loaded and find that I need lots that's aren't in my current bin, I can stick new ones in there without having to exit and reload the game.

Quote: Originally posted by Honeywell
I don't know it's possible for a lot object to be turned on and off from the neighborhood - they seem like two completely separate things to me with the effects and terrain not showing from lot view? I certainly couldn't do it that's for sure! If it's just for deco on unoccupied lots in the neighborhood view you'd get a much nicer effect making a set of lighted window panes as neighborhood deco to place over lot windows I'd think. And of course they'd turn off and on during the day/night.

No, I wouldn't think there could be a lot object that would turn on and off from the neighborhood. I was figuring what you'd done was a neighborhood-visible object that has an emissive TXMT that would always appear to be "on" even in the day time. Some folks who've made "neon" objects have done it that way. They're just always "turned on" because of the emissive TXMT, with no day or night state. That would've been what I would've tried, but you're light-years ahead of me at object-making than me, so I'm guessing you probably did something more sophisticated.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Theorist
#29 Old 1st Mar 2019 at 8:23 PM
There's really no trick to it. When I build a lot, I save a copy to the bin and, when I exit the game, if it's not a lot I think I'll use often, it gets moved to one of the "inactive" folders that are on my Simming computer's desktop. I have a folder for community lots, one for "rustic" lots that don't have, for instance, indoor plumbing, one for multi-family lots, one for desert-specific lots, etc. Doing it this way, you have to be careful about file names, since the game numbers them sequentially when binned. So, you can end up with lots with the same file name and you could overwrite files accidentally. (I'm actually not sure if you can rename them so they no longer have the cx_000000xx format, so they could have more meaningful names that can't overwrite each other. I keep meaning to test that but...haven't. )

Anyway, if you don't want to do it that way, with the accompanying being careful of file names and all that, you can just package lots as you make them and then store them somewhere in categorized folders. Because the nice thing about the lot bin/catalog is that you can add to it while the game is running, either by installing new lots from package files or just putting new files in the folder. The next time you pull up the lot bin, the catalog refreshes, so the "new" lots will be there. So, if I've got the game loaded and find that I need lots that's aren't in my current bin, I can stick new ones in there without having to exit and reload the game.

No, I wouldn't think there could be a lot object that would turn on and off from the neighborhood. I was figuring what you'd done was a neighborhood-visible object that has an emissive TXMT that would always appear to be "on" even in the day time. Some folks who've made "neon" objects have done it that way. They're just always "turned on" because of the emissive TXMT, with no day or night state. That would've been what I would've tried, but you're light-years ahead of me at object-making than me, so I'm guessing you probably did something more sophisticated.

No, not sophisticated and that's exactly what I'm doing here. The only reason to have a texture change bhav at all is to make the lots playable.
Helptato
#30 Old 5th Mar 2019 at 8:27 PM
I let mine develop naturally, I'm a very impatient player so I might pop down a few community lots with the playable houses and have a rough idea of where I'd like things to go, but I just wanna get playing my families!

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Scholar
#31 Old 8th Mar 2019 at 4:46 PM
I start with the concept and lay down what is necessary for the concept. This applies for hoods and subhoods alike.

SimHampton started with one family of four magicians (the Sunrina sisters, living in one household).

SimColony started with one teacher and three students (three households total).

Alegnia Viaduct had six families to start with (three of which were from SimHampton, the other three were created from scratch).

Tristan do Simha is my most-prepared starting point yet, with 29 Sims in seven households. (Part of the concept is that this subhood will only ever have these seven families resident there, enforced by Inge's keys, although other Sims may come and visit). Therefore, it really was created by Central Planning. Even this was completely created in a single evening. All the houses are on one side of the island, the visitor area is on the other, and between are private beaches, a bit of decorative forest and some blank area in case I decide I need some businesses that aren't for tourists or any large dynasties emerge needing housing.

The others that I created myself were just an idea, and I'd start with whoever didn't have anywhere to go, or maybe generate a few Sims in one household to start exploring that idea. Borealis was a planet colony where releasing one's inihibitions without being gossiped at home was the main attraction (and avoiding over-friendly bears who can't get enough disco in their lives, but dance in a clumsy way arguably the main detraction). Throne-'O-Sims was a tropical beach with a vaguely Californian feel. Télanen was the pine-filled forest the elves came from, and The Drioru Forest was the more broad-leaved forest the drioru came from (and also the point of origin for aliens).
Instructor
#32 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 1:38 AM
Right now, I planning thing for my SimState subhoods, which will consist of the Beginning versions of the Maxis hoods. As I'm finishing Pleasantview, I'm writing down notes for Strangetown, in which I haven't started playing yet. I also have several documents notes on Downtown, Belladonna Cove, etc... So when I finally do play them, I know what to do with them. I'm really ahead of myself with the planning, but it's been a blast to do.

I use to just make a hood with a lame background story, add sims and plop down lots. I thought that was so fun, but after deleting three hoods, I decided to do something different. It seems like I need to do some pre-planned to enjoy a custom hood. And yes, it's very hard not to breakdown and start playing (I want to start Strangetown sooo bad, but Pleasantview HAS to be finished before I can), but you have to understand that patience is key.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Forum Resident
#33 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 3:53 PM
I kind of plan - for example, my current hood Nurembruck, I have a story mapped out in my mind (and yep, I'm planning to post it on here) and I plan it out in the Neighborhood Storytelling thing, keeping track of my rotations and what rotations I plan certain milestones to happen on. I don't necessarily stick closely to this guide, sometimes something throws a spanner in the works to change my plans.
Here's an example with my Holbrook family.

EDIT TO CLARIFY: One rotation is one season (3 days)

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Alchemist
#34 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 9:37 PM
build lots before starting Live Mode or build while playing households?
in most custom neighborhoods I made, I think I placed lots before playing with households.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#35 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 10:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by didyouevenmakeasound
Here's an example with my Holbrook family.

Wow, you even have the baby names planned! I never remember to think of a good name in advance, so I usually sit there staring at the 'baby boy' box for about ten minutes until I come up with something epic, like Bob. Of course, later when I'm bored I'll change it to something silly, like Dwayne Pipe or Jan Sandwich, but initially I am always stumped!
Helptato
#36 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 11:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Wow, you even have the baby names planned! I never remember to think of a good name in advance, so I usually sit there staring at the 'baby boy' box for about ten minutes until I come up with something epic, like Bob. Of course, later when I'm bored I'll change it to something silly, like Dwayne Pipe or Jan Sandwich, but initially I am always stumped!

I always try and have my phone handy to look up a baby names website. Otherwise they would all pretty much have the same names.

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 16th Mar 2019 at 4:44 AM
I wish I could say I know how to plan. I have had this simmers dream of a complete seaside community neighborhood built from the ground up for many years, but I never get beyond a SimCity terrain I am happy with.
I just recently did a complete new install and have a new outlook on it at least, life has been complicated so I have not had much creating time, but lots of time to mind map and brainstorm ideas of what I like and do not like, so maybe this time it will take off. I also would like it to be integrated, but not so mathematical that it becomes unfun. I would also like to take a jab at storyteĺling, although I am far from a writer, but something simplified just for fun, not sure if Tumblr would be the way too go. I don'think for myself that writing the story and then playing is the way to go, I analyze far too much, and I think the game telling the story is the way to go for me, no pressure planned story lines. I love reading the stories of others who write pretty planned I just do not think it would be good for myself.

So my outline is
1 Get a vibe for a backstory, research small seaside towns in real life.
2. Create terrain
3. Choose some seaside color scheme to fit the overall feel of the neighborhood architecture and choose a style of housing. I do not want to get too bogged down with custom content, every simmer knows it gets out of hand sooner than later 😁
4.Most likely will use BACC rules to give me some structure, but not wanting to get too bogged down with counting points and a lot of intricate bookkeeping, but enough to keep it interesting.

So with that does this sound like a decent plan of attack on a not so unplanned neighborhood? Haha☺☺☺☺☺
Field Researcher
#38 Old 16th Mar 2019 at 10:11 PM
I could never not plan. Planning is everything to me, especially since I despise surprises. I need to have the right idea in mind, then a good neighborhood setup to facilitate the vision, and then the best beginning sims to start with; and then of course, depending on the vision, this might require a lot of CC changes, modifications, defaults, and additions, and then as I begin to playtest I find out that I need more.

I can't stand to play a half-ready neighborhood. If it's not ready, then it's simply not ready to play, period. If I get sick of setting up, then I play some other game, or watch videos, or some other range of activities for months on end. On such setup is on hiatus until I decide to finally dressup Jessica into a pink heart outfit that I found and downloaded for her, and then continue rotating through to move in the other apartment residents. Another setup I'm not sure that I even want to go through with because I'm unsure what sort of skintones I'll be happy to look at for that concept. Yet another I have a vague idea, but I'm reluctant because I'm not sure what story direction to even take the aesthetic towards.

Sims is nice because I have all these half-baked plans, and it's not crucial to follow through with any of them.

I'm a young adult in poor health, trying to heal enough to complete my goals.
This is the song that never ends ~ It goes on and on my friends ~
my first ToT Challenge (which is actually indefinitely hiatus, I'm in a different TOT hood now)
Page 2 of 2