Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 12:08 PM
Default Stairs with top landing and diagonal wall
In Sims 3 in the empty Houses, there is Miramontes - 6br, 4ba
which has a diagonal wall right at the top landing. Now, on the outside of the wall, there is no tile "triangle"

(sorry, it's a bit dark)

if I change the stairs, I can't place the new stair because of the slanted wall.

But if I remove the wall, I can place the stairs.

Caveat is, if I put the wall back, there is a tile "triangle" belonging to the top landing coming out of the house, and I can't remove it.

Is there a trick to that, a delete cheat?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Typical
#2 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 1:06 PM
Hmmm... tricky one. Maybe place the stairs with moveobjects on. But if you do that, you may not be able to use that stair. OR you could just use one stairase, instead of the two you're trying to use.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 1:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewjen
Hmmm... tricky one. Maybe place the stairs with moveobjects on. But if you do that, you may not be able to use that stair. OR you could just use one stairase, instead of the two you're trying to use.

Thanks, tried with the moveObjects on, but there was no change, it still wouldn't let me place the stairs (or delete the remaining triangle).

One stair width works, but the effect isn't as good.

I'm sure it's possible, as they (whoever built/designed that house) did it. Just how, that would be nice to know.
Typical
#4 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 2:03 PM
Sooo... You remove the diagonal wall upsatirs, so you can place the stairs. You then put the diagonal wall back, but it leaves that triangle peice of flooring. This' gonna sound really obvious buuut have you tried clicking on the triangle peice of flooring while holding controle??
Field Researcher
#5 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 2:18 PM
You are absolutely right. It does not delete.

I have that house open now, and I've tried everything I can think of, and it won't delete that piece of flooring. Interesting.
Instructor
#6 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 2:23 PM
I think the reason you can't delete that triangle is because the sims need it to step of the stairs.
I think you need one full square for the sim to step on to, otherwise the stairs might not work or your sims refuse to use them.
Why don't you just change your design a bit.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 2:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewjen
Sooo... You remove the diagonal wall upsatirs, so you can place the stairs. You then put the diagonal wall back, but it leaves that triangle peice of flooring. This' gonna sound really obvious buuut have you tried clicking on the triangle peice of flooring while holding controle??

tried with ctrl (removing floor), added extra flooring (ctrl-shift), tried the hammer, everything I know

That little piece stays and can't be removed.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 2:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ~Dee~
I think the reason you can't delete that triangle is because the sims need it to step of the stairs.
I think you need one full square for the sim to step on to, otherwise the stairs might not work or your sims refuse to use them.
Why don't you just change your design a bit.

One thing I've been doing is, instead of the top landing, use the bottom landing with the slanted wall, but that leaves the other stair one back, as I designed a doorway in front of it.

But as I mentioned earlier, it must be possible, otherwise the original wouldn't have it.
Instructor
#9 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 2:36 PM
Well... that convinces me that that square needs to stay, for the reasons I mentioned in my post.

What do you mean... the original wouldn't have it?

Edit: Sorry, I know what you mean now after re-reading your first post,
I'll have to have a look at it.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#10 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 3:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RobiBue
it must be possible, otherwise the original wouldn't have it.
If this is an EA house (and in post #1 you sound like it is), it can very well be screwy. They aren't using the release version of the game when they build their lots, so it's always possible that they do things that can't be achieved with the release version. Has been happening in TS2, too.

My advice would be to stay away from EA houses entirely. Most of them are absolute crap – there's so many houses available that are much better than the pre-made ones, why don't you use some of those instead?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 3:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
If this is an EA house (and in post #1 you sound like it is), it can very well be screwy. They aren't using the release version of the game when they build their lots, so it's always possible that they do things that can't be achieved with the release version. Has been happening in TS2, too.

that would explain it

Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
My advice would be to stay away from EA houses entirely. Most of them are absolute crap – there's so many houses available that are much better than the pre-made ones, why don't you use some of those instead?

because I like this crappy one (with a few modifications, that is )
Field Researcher
#12 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 4:58 PM
Have you used the ctrl+f function to delete triangle pieces of the floor?

ClicknPsycho
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 6:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ClicknPsycho
Have you used the ctrl+f function to delete triangle pieces of the floor?

yep, did, same result.