Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 2:17 AM Last edited by Fyren5 : 10th Nov 2018 at 2:34 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Default Hair not showing for wedding veils etc, "longsimple" default replacing them instead
Here's the issue I'm having, shown in pictures in spoiler. These hairs are always replaced by the default I have for "longsimple" hair and no matter who's default I use, it still shows up. I even took out the default for "longsimple" hair and it still didn't work, they turned back into their original hair..

Can I fix this or is this just not going to work? If I can't make it work, is there any way I can hide these hairstyles so I can't see them in CAS or Change Appearance? Or at least move them to Formal category...

This is what happens when I remove the "longsimple" default that I have:

Edit: I changed the "longsimple" default to this one and this happened to all of the veil/wedding hairstyles:
Seriously, why aren't these working? I loved the defaults I found for them.

Edit 2: I removed the Glamour Life SP Defaults and the Veil Curlsup Default. They reverted back to their original self

No matter what default I use for these hairstyles, they don't work.. Are these broken or something?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 2:44 AM
When they work on your sims just hold down Ctrl and right click on the thumbnail picture.

When they don't could be a few things, but given the bald head, I am thinking your computer can't handle them. What are your settings and specs? Are you on high detail and if so does it look crisp? If it's a sims 4 hair you may also need shaders on.
I am looking at the shoulder strap there and it looks very blurry indicating low settings. if so you won't be able to use high poly items, how many poly's does that hair have? You may need to use low poly items.

if your computer is not low-end check that the 4 gb patch is on and that graphic rules is done and that it recognizes your card.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 2:56 AM Last edited by Fyren5 : 10th Nov 2018 at 3:19 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
When they work on your sims just hold down Ctrl and right click on the thumbnail picture.

When they don't could be a few things, but given the bald head, I am thinking your computer can't handle them. What are your settings and specs? Are you on high detail and if so does it look crisp? If it's a sims 4 hair you may also need shaders on.
I am looking at the shoulder strap there and it looks very blurry indicating low settings. if so you won't be able to use high poly items, how many poly's does that hair have? You may need to use low poly items.

if your computer is not low-end check that the 4 gb patch is on and that graphic rules is done and that it recognizes your card.

I've done all the graphic logs and stuff so my game can recognize my card with no problems, I've also done the 4GB patch following The Jessa Channel. Most of the defaults are high poly and they work. It's just the veils that don't. My graphic card had an update recently. I haven't checked the settings recently but I know the smooth edges isn't maxed because I followed someone else's tutorial, lol. One of the defaults specifically for "updoweddingveil" is a Sims 3 hairstyle from Supernatural. Not sure on the others.

My specs:
Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz 4 Cores
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
16GB RAM

My settings in game:

I'll try the CTRL and right click thing, will edit when I've done that (need to put my Default Hair folder back in, took it out until I had a reply )

Edit: I tweaked the settings so smooth edges is maxed and texture detail is high. My computer seems alright with the change, no lag or anything.

This is what happened after I did CTRL and right click:

The uploader of these defaults didn't say how many POLY the hairs were.

Edit again: All of the other hairs, including the "longsimple" default worked and the thumbnails were correct when I did CTRL and right click on them.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 3:44 AM
Those are not your sim detail settings. Look under the cogs.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 3:46 AM
This? Sorry, I'm not the brightest tool in the shed!

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 4:03 AM
No its sim detail, hang on let me check.

It is graphic performance options, I probably couldn't see it well enough on your picture, but make sure 'sim detail' is set on high.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 4:05 AM
No its sim detail, hang on let me check, you might need to be in CAS.

Sim Detail and Object Detail were in Game Options though? Or is there two Sim Detail settings? I'm confused now. I went into CAS and checked under the cogs and it was the same as the screenshot I shared?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 4:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fyren5
Sim Detail and Object Detail were in Game Options though? Or is there two Sim Detail settings? I'm confused now. I went into CAS and checked under the cogs and it was the same as the screenshot I shared?

Nah it's not CAS I just checked -I've only played for 14 years!

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 4:12 AM
My Sim/Object Detail setting:

My Smooth Edges setting:

I maxed the Smooth Edges because it was lower than that before.

Edit:

My Texture Detail setting:
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 4:28 AM
Okay that is all fine, and when you look at your Logs folder, confi-log file that says 4096 and shows the graphic card?

Also the shaders if it's a sims 4 hair. I will have to dig that up.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 4:33 AM Last edited by Fyren5 : 10th Nov 2018 at 5:14 AM.
Okay that is all fine, and when you look at your Logs folder, confi-log file that says 4096 and shows the graphic card?

Also the shaders if it's a sims 4 hair. I will have to dig that up.

Okay, I did have the 4GB patch but its reverted back to 1024MB, looks like I have to re-apply the 4GB Patch then?

The hairs are all Sims 3 conversions, I double checked the default hairstyles.

Edit: 4GB Patch isn't working and caused me to have to re-install my game and redo my Graphics Rules..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 5:33 AM
Yes, the 4gb patch easily comes off. It's something I check periodically.

You shouldn't have to reinstall your game. I will ask Gina to come have a look at your thread.

~Call me Jo~
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#13 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 5:34 AM
you dont have to reinstall. there is a workaround,
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 2:05 PM Last edited by Fyren5 : 10th Nov 2018 at 4:41 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by gdayars
you dont have to reinstall. there is a workaround,

I followed someone's comment on The Jessa Channel regarding The UC.

I used CFF this time and it stopped my launcher from working, it kept giving me the activation.dll thing and I couldn't replace my launcher so I had to re-download my game. I turned Compatibility off and installed the 4GB and then created my new shortcut and it worked. It was almost 6AM my time so as soon after I finished that, I went to bed. Now I need to check those default hairstyles..

Edit: @joandsarah77 Okay, so the problem still persists with just these 4 hairstyles (one of the hairs is 2 pages after the first 3)....

Edit 2: I enabled shaders, still not working but it made my game look super pretty but with a slight bit of lag which is fine as long as it doesn't fry my new-ish computer. I removed any hat/clothing hiders I had to see if that caused the issue and the hairs are still bald.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 1:47 PM
Not sure if this will be helpful, but it reminds me of a default issue I just worked out in my game that turned out to be a simple conflict.

Long story of my trials and tribulations:

You said you'd tried removing some defaults, but have you tried testing just the problem defaults by themselves with no other files in your Downloads folder? (Standard warning about backing up/using test hood/etc. so you don't mess up a beloved hood.) Because if they work that way, then you have a simple conflict that a 50/50 of your entire Downloads folder should locate.

And yes, it is possible to hide/recategorize the hairs, but if you have a conflicting file it might cause issues with that as well.
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 5:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rousseau
You said you'd tried removing some defaults, but have you tried testing just the problem defaults by themselves with no other files in your Downloads folder? (Standard warning about backing up/using test hood/etc. so you don't mess up a beloved hood.) Because if they work that way, then you have a simple conflict that a 50/50 of your entire Downloads folder should locate.

Yes, I've tried removing every other default except the wedding veil defaults and they were still bald. I might try removing my mods & hair defaults and try the veil defaults to see if that works. Will let you know when I have time to get on game & test with my testhood

Quote: Originally posted by rousseau
And yes, it is possible to hide/recategorize the hairs, but if you have a conflicting file it might cause issues with that as well.

I would probably recategorize the veil hairs to formal only, even if I decide not to use defaults (at the moment, I'm playing Maxis Match). I tried Phaenoh's re-categorize but I wasn't much a fan of it. Some of the clothing that I thought were fine where they were (the fur coats and leather jacket being one of them) were moved to outerwear and some dresses I liked to use as Everyday were moved to Formal only. I tried it out for a while though just to see if I liked it. Premades looked so different when that Mod is installed! Titania looked the most weird - didn't take a screenshot unfortunately!

Is there a simple tutorial with detail instructions (step 1, step 2 etc as that's the only way I can follow) on how to re-categorize clothing & hair? Thank you so much for taking time to help me.

:lovestruc
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 7:51 PM
Yes, I've tried removing every other default except the wedding veil defaults and they were still bald. I might try removing my mods & hair defaults and try the veil defaults to see if that works. Will let you know when I have time to get on game & test with my testhood

Fingers crossed!

I would probably recategorize the veil hairs to formal only, even if I decide not to use defaults (at the moment, I'm playing Maxis Match). I tried Phaenoh's re-categorize but I wasn't much a fan of it. Some of the clothing that I thought were fine where they were (the fur coats and leather jacket being one of them) were moved to outerwear and some dresses I liked to use as Everyday were moved to Formal only. I tried it out for a while though just to see if I liked it. Premades looked so different when that Mod is installed! Titania looked the most weird - didn't take a screenshot unfortunately!

Is there a simple tutorial with detail instructions (step 1, step 2 etc as that's the only way I can follow) on how to re-categorize clothing & hair? Thank you so much for taking time to help me.

:lovestruc

Yes - Phaenoh's tutorial was what I used, and it worked like a charm. Only difficult part for me is that I'm on UC, and figuring out which SP was which took a little trial and error (and then documenting). I still can't find some of the holiday outfits, so they will continue to clutter my catalog.

You're welcome!