Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Sep 2018 at 4:52 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims running choppy in winter
So I've had this problem for a while, I can't remember when it started. The sims run choppy when I tell them to run somewhere. They run a couple of meters, then stop, run again, then stop, several times until they finally reach their destination. Even though nothing is in the way. Kind of annoying. But it seems to only be that way in winter, and I think it's only when it's snow, but I'm not sure. Does anyone recognize this problem and knows how to solve it?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 24th Sep 2018 at 7:02 PM
The snow effect (for reasons unknown, seriously) is kinda bugged in S2 & S3, it's expected than with additional snow layers (on the ground and certain levels, also roofs) it will be somewhat more demanding on weaker machines (I mean: really weak). But if you're not experiencing simple erratic fps drops but chopping sims' reactions and moves, that may be there's something else than just "the snow".

BTW: have you tried to disable snow effect in options? Just for checking.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3 Old 24th Sep 2018 at 10:47 PM
Better than TS4's white carpet everywhere

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Sep 2018 at 11:13 PM
That would be your computer strength or what the game is drawing on to run itself. You might want to post your computer specs. if your computer is weak you might need to turn the snow off.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Sep 2018 at 9:25 AM
Sorry for late reply, but anyway!

I don't think it has to do with my computer since I don't experience lag when sims run choppy. I rarely have lag in my game. Also I think I saw it when it wasn't snow outside, but it was winter. I don't think I've seen it when it wasn't winter. Maybe because snow was on the way or something? I'll try turning off snow on the ground next time it happens. (But if that's the case I'll just live with the choppy running, I'd rather have snow ) Anyway here are my computer specs
Instructor
#6 Old 30th Sep 2018 at 1:54 PM
You might have a hack conflict. Try this...
http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=2063
Scholar
#7 Old 30th Sep 2018 at 2:52 PM
Oh my... in most cases there's not a need to paste the whole DXDiag/System report, how look your
$Documents\EA Games\[The Sims2 folder]\Logs\[computer_name]-config-log.txt ?
Does the "disable snow" option help?

Running the game without tying it to one thread may result in weirdness (not always though), you have only 2 threads accessible on this CPU the problem may be completely outside the game - actual running processes may compete for resources and there're only 2 thread to spare.
Checking conflicts won't hurt. Maybe something is messing with weather controller or something.

@maxon
I have no idea, I lost contact with S4 around 1.13 (?) and still have no need to close up The snow actually is built with simple (+shaders in S3) 2D layer - it's actual effect of "snowing" (also raining - funny thing: the rain does not lags even if the splat/wave effect on the puddles is enabled, that one on the Morrowind quality level ) and shader layers on the ground/levels. It's not really resource hungry thing, why it became in these games I have no idea.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 1st Oct 2018 at 1:05 AM
Dedicated Memory: 972 MB this seems low.

Do you have the 4 gb patch on? and Graphic rules done?

In the Sims 2 log folder, your config log file should read memory and free memory 4096MB

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#9 Old 2nd Oct 2018 at 12:38 AM
it's typical for GPU's with shared memory (that less than 1024) - these "lost MB" are pushed out into shared RAM if real VRAM is needed. Though using hi res (>1024) resolution textures may be unwise in this case. Also - the dual-GPU is not enabled or not configured properly 'cause that NVidia chip reads screen data instead happily doing nothing while embedded Intel GPU does the boring job.