Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jan 2018 at 7:07 PM Last edited by babyliss : 22nd Jan 2018 at 7:25 PM.
How to Change an Objects Lighting?
Hello, the lights on the AquaGreen Hydroponic Garden career reward bother me a lot- they are way too bright, especially when more than one is placed (I use dDefiner's "GunMod's Radiance Light System 2.4" BTW). I heard there is a way to change an objects direct light- the light that hits the objects and the sims around the light source. I came across this tutorial by Numenor:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=103817
I take heed the disclaimer though bc I am neither!!
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
DISCLAIMER: This is NOT a tutorial; it is intended to help average-experienced object creators performing specific tasks, or to give users a deeper in-sight on specific modding-related subjects. So, don't expect to find step-by-step explanations, to be performed "blindly".

I would like to change this object to be: 1. Less bright, 2. Only light up the plants- not walls, floors etc..
Any help would be greatly appreciated, though I would prefer step, by, step instructions from start to finish if possible? Thanks

P.s: would this require a default replacement because I also use a mod that recat's the career objects if that's of any concern? (i.e. Career Rewards As Aspiration Rewards, 2 Flavors, Download According to EP owned)

22 I will give him the key to the house of David. When he opens doors, no one will be able to close them; when he closes doors, no one will be able to open them.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Jan 2018 at 7:13 PM
I think you could just chenge the lighting definition directly (backup first).

Should be a reference to Hydroponic Garden in [Install Location]\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Lights\objects.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Jan 2018 at 2:48 PM
I think that would be a little over my head. If someone experienced with modding lights could give me instructions, it would be greatly appreciated

22 I will give him the key to the house of David. When he opens doors, no one will be able to close them; when he closes doors, no one will be able to open them.
just a girl
#4 Old 25th Jan 2018 at 10:51 PM Last edited by Lamare : 26th Jan 2018 at 9:42 PM.
I have some experience in making a light less bright, but I don't know how to do #2 (it'll require changing the type of light source and I don't know how to do that). But the intensity should be easy.
What I would do is clone Hydroponic Garden in SimPE, change one value in LGHT resource and package this resource alone. It's actually easier and faster for me to do than to explain in detail. Would you like me to try? (I say try, because I dealt with custom candle before and therefore can't say for sure that it will work for non-custom object. But it's not hard to test and see.)
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#5 Old 25th Jan 2018 at 11:55 PM
I have a tutorial on how to change the LGHT here: http://simfileshare.net/download/52549/
Credit to NixNivis for the actual "how to", all I did was take screenshots and explain it in a bit more detail. (Because Nix, gotta <3 her, expects me to know how to do something with as few words of explanation as possible, lol.)
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 3:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lamare
I have some experience in making a light less bright, but I don't know how to do #2 (it'll require changing the type of light source and I don't know how to do that). But the intensity should be easy.
What I would do is clone Hydroponic Garden in SimPE, change one value in LGHT resource and package this resource alone. It's actually easier and faster for me to do than to explain in detail. Would you like me to try? (I say try, because I dealt with custom candle before and therefore can't say for sure that it will work for non-custom object. But it's not hard to test and see.)

@Lamare Yes that would be lovely and would save me the headache! You seem to have good experience modding... perhaps you could make an option to turn off and on the light as well?! @mustluvcatz Ty! I'm going to read the tutorial, and try and still figure it out, though I probably will opt to disable the light all together instead of fiddling with something over my head. It's just for personal use anyway and if I can't get it working ideal, I'll just have to deal!

just a girl
#7 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 6:32 PM Last edited by Lamare : 26th Jan 2018 at 9:56 PM.
I'm going to try reducing it from 100% to 30% and test in game.
The option to turn off light is doable. But then I can't just let you to turn off light without consequences. I'm going to have to make it good gameplay wise - to make plants check for light and die if there isn't any for very long, etc, etc. And it's more work. Let's start with little work =)

Edited.
Forget what I said about LGHT file, it doesn't work that way. (I usually know how to make things work, but I often forget how I did it )

I found another way. Here's a little mod for you, that overrides two little hydroponic garden's BHAVs responsible for turning on light. It is now going to be 30% bright instead of 100%. See if it works for you. I can tweak the number.
The mod won't conflict with recategorizing mod. If you have other mods for hydroponic garden, use HCDU to check for conflicts.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  hydroponic-garden-light-0.3.package.zip (515 Bytes, 33 downloads) - View custom content
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 1:45 AM
Thanks I will test in me game asap! :-)