Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#101 Old 9th Feb 2011 at 7:26 PM
wgroome : You can still do the other rounds if you don't do this one. You don't have to drop out completely.

Excuse me, but I just have to explode.
Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#102 Old 9th Feb 2011 at 7:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wgroome
Can we use a bar as our "sideboard"? They are two tiles and, in real life at least, serve the same kind of purpose (a flat surface!)

EDIT: My game hates me. It decided to play up after I spent ages decorating my house for Round 2. Unfortunately I had to restart my machine and lost it all, and I don't reckon I'm going to have enough time before the deadline to complete the round, and since I've already done it once I'm not feeling that enthused about doing it again... Sorry, but I'm going to drop out. Thank you for running a great contest, kattenijin, and I am more than happy to sign up to be an emergency judge if you need one!

I'm sorry to hear that. Remember, there are still 3 1/2 days left before the round ends, if you want to change your mind again. Plus, as I don't do eliminations, you can skip a round; of course, the penalty being a 0 for the round.

I'd enjoy having you as a Judge/EJ on another contest, but having someone switch from contestant to judge in the same contest is outside the forum rules, I'm fairly sure.

I'll probably need another EJ, as I'm still waiting to get Round 1 scores back from one of the judges.

Too much soup lately, across pretty much every Sims' site I belong to, I wonder what's in the water?

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Field Researcher
#103 Old 9th Feb 2011 at 8:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kattenijin
... having someone switch from contestant to judge in the same contest is outside the forum rules, I'm fairly sure.

I don't think that it is. As long as I'm not judging myself I don't think there's an issue, really, is there?

Like this post? You'll love my Tumblr! 😉
Field Researcher
#104 Old 10th Feb 2011 at 12:59 AM
If we have an attached garage and it doesn't house any of the necessary items does it count toward our tiles?

And never again, and never again...They gave us two shots to the back of the head... And we're all dead now...
Mad Poster
#105 Old 10th Feb 2011 at 1:22 AM
I'd enjoy having you as a Judge/EJ on another contest, but having someone switch from contestant to judge in the same contest is outside the forum rules, I'm fairly sure.

I'll probably need another EJ, as I'm still waiting to get Round 1 scores back from one of the judges.

It doesn't mention it specifically in the Contest Rules (Beeps' official post), so maybe it wouldn't be a problem? I don't expect wgroome would be particularly biased towards one or more contestants just because they've been a contestant themselves. If anything, maybe they'd give higher scores across the board as they know how hard this contest is! :-D (or maybe they'd be harsh judges with really high standards because they've tried it themselves and expect more from everybody than non-former-contestant judges - boo!)

Either way, it would be nice to get Round 1 scores back before Round 2 ends (I am completely aware that it's not your fault that that's proving problematic, kattenijin!) and maybe having wgroome as an EJ would make that possible??
Inventor
#106 Old 10th Feb 2011 at 6:21 AM
I was just wondering if 1 3-tile bookcase is an acceptable substitute for 3 bookcases?

kittens!
Scholar
Original Poster
#107 Old 10th Feb 2011 at 2:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wickedblue
I was just wondering if 1 3-tile bookcase is an acceptable substitute for 3 bookcases?

That would be ok.

I've PMd BP and I'm just waiting on her response.

Forum Resident
#108 Old 10th Feb 2011 at 4:20 PM
You could end up having to judge it yourself kattenijin, which I know you would rather avoid, but I don't believe it's allowed for a previously judged contestant to judge. Unless bP would be willing to make an exception.
Field Researcher
#109 Old 10th Feb 2011 at 4:39 PM Last edited by hotaru801 : 12th Feb 2011 at 3:57 PM.
This is my entry for Round 2.
I call it the "Wanna Be Pueblo-nese House".
123 tiles exactly. No extra halves or nothing (I am quite proud of this feat )
I used all the objects required and everything is accessible and ready to use. (Which took a long time to achieve)
Made on a 15x15 lot so there really isn't much room for anything else.

Thank god for moveobjects and if there are any questions... I'm on here all the time anyway...

I would also like to note that the two aerial shots are different. One is situated from the back the other from the front. If you look at them both you can see all the objects. Because the way the walls are some of the objects were blocked depending on the pic...

Screenshots

And never again, and never again...They gave us two shots to the back of the head... And we're all dead now...
Field Researcher
#110 Old 10th Feb 2011 at 5:27 PM Last edited by sandymdh : 11th Feb 2011 at 8:14 AM.
Default Round 3 Entry - Converted Church
Whew I'm finally done. This has been a real labour of love. I count it as 130 tiles exactly. As you can see it's a converted church in my world's downtown area. The church became rundown and when the bridges were built to join the two towns either side of the river the priest relocated to the small cathedral on the other side. The old church was sold off for next to nothing and renovated into a 3 bedroom (+ tiny nursery) family home. My family have tried by ways of clutter and colour to make the cold stone building feel like a warm & cosy home.

Front View

I just wanted to add that the potty, an old record player/stereo and toybox are all under the stairs as you can't see them on the pics.
Field Researcher
#111 Old 10th Feb 2011 at 9:38 PM
@sandymdh - That is lovely!

I won't even be able to start on mine until either tomorrow or Saturday. Sorry, but I'm having to prioritise coursework. I should be able to meet the deadline though
Scholar
Original Poster
#112 Old 11th Feb 2011 at 5:52 AM
Default Round 1 Scores
*looks at empty in-box* *glares*

Since I don't want to keep you all waiting any longer, I've steped in as an EJ. Hopefully I can get someone else for the other rounds. I HATE when the host is a judge. *sigh*

On a happier note:

Scores!
Comments from all three judges have been mingled, and edited for redundancy, verbosity, and grammar.
  • Lauratje86
    I really love this house, it's a total 180 from your previous entry. Give yourself a pat on the back for that. I would have liked to see the decor flow better with the theme of the house itself. Inovative design! I would have liked to see the area under the home used more, and possibly stairs to the roof.

Total 1: 92
    Total 2: 87
    Total 3: 82
    Average: 87
  • sandymdh
    Awsome idea! I think you may be slightly "over budget" though. More color would have been nice. A boat house! I love the steps leading up to the entrance. I would have liked to see some decor as unique as the house itself.

Total 1: 90
    Total 2: 93
    Total 3: 81
    Average: 88
  • Samethana
    Very spacious. I love the mis-matched chairs in the kitchen. More color variation! I really love this house, quaint, sweet, simple. It could be a little too simple; I like how you furnished the kitchen, but everything else just seems a bit too safe.

Total 1: 79
    Total 2: 85
    Total 3: 75
    Average: 79.66
  • wgroome
    You really have a knack for making tiny houses. I love the simplicity, the modern undertones, and the blue theme. I would have loved to see a little more creativity with the decor however. All the blue has me blue too. I think you could have received bonus points by removing a few tiles, and not have lost any of the character.

Total 1: 93
    Total 2: 87
    Total 3: 85
    Average: 88.33
  • wickedblue
    I like that you added more furniture than the basics. I love how it isn't at ground level, very nice touch. The exterior is great, and so is the interior, very cozy and something I can truly see a child being happily raised in despite it's size. If not for the landscaping, its probably the house I'd drive by without looking at.

Total 1: 95
    Total 2: 78
    Total 3: 60
    Average: 77.66
  • Sulyuki
    It feels unfinished for some reason. Love the sandbox! I love the architecture on this house, and how you managed to make it two stories. When I got a look at the interior, I see where doing so didn't quite pay off. I love the house, but it could have used some more creativity when it came to the decor.

Total 1: 73
    Total 2: 83
    Total 3: 78
    Average: 78
  • hotaru801
    Its a little too busy, sometimes less really is more! Spectacular, just spectacular. I would have given you more points if I could have. The shape, the decor, the landscaping, it's all so amazing! You deserve a cookie.

Total 1: 100
    Total 2: 92
    Total 3: 85
    Average: 92.33
  • picass0blue
    I really love the exterior, and the fact that it's a beach house. Sadly I would have liked to see just as much creativity inside as I did outside. I'm glad to see you were under budget, but it seems a bit too crowded and thrown together. It really needs landscaping, it feels totally unfinished. Cute idea though.

Total 1: 78
    Total 2: 71
    Total 3: 72
    Average: 73.66
  • Cloudburst
    Good job yet again! I am absolutely head over heels for this house! The only problem I have against it is the interior, there are a few things that remind me too much of your first entry. You need to add color, and stop playing safe. I do like the whimsical roof-line though.

Total 1: 80
    Total 2: 98
    Total 3: 95
    Average: 91
The top three scores for this round are:

#3: wgroome 88.33
#2: Cloudburst 91.00
#1: hotaru801 92.33

Again, congradulations to you all!

Inventor
#113 Old 11th Feb 2011 at 3:28 PM
A little farmhouse for this round:

I used all 138 tiles and all required objects are there, though I couldn't get photographs of quite a bit. I hope they are apparent in the overhead view.

kittens!
Mad Poster
#114 Old 12th Feb 2011 at 7:12 AM
Default Lauratje86 - Round 2
Everyone has made such lovely houses! :-)

Anyway, here's my attempt at Round 2. Coming in at 128 tiles (yay!), welcome to Rhodes House. The house has a general red & black theme (had you noticed that?! :-D), but the teenager and the child were allowed to pick their own colour schemes for their bedrooms. With a baby boy on the way, the child will soon have to share with his baby brother.....

All the required objects are in the house (except for the telescope, which is outside as we were told), and it's been fully playtested. The least obvious object is probably the second living chair - it's the square black thing next to the easel in the "study". I didn't have enough collage space to take more pictures, so I hope that the aerial view shows everything clearly :-)

External View:

Aerial View:

Collages:

Lab Assistant
#115 Old 12th Feb 2011 at 12:23 PM
Here's my entry then
I couldn't get many decent shots of the interior, but I hope everything is visible in the overview shots. I used 123 tiles of accessible area for this, and unless I've missed something, as far as I know everything is accessible.

(The dressers in the bedrooms are 'built into' the beds, hence they look a bit weird but they're fully usable)

Lab Assistant
#116 Old 12th Feb 2011 at 8:26 PM
Can I have more time, please? I've tried so hard to make it, but I'm too slow.
Scholar
Original Poster
#117 Old 12th Feb 2011 at 10:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sulyuki
Can I have more time, please? I've tried so hard to make it, but I'm too slow.

I can give you untill 12pm GMT-5 (noon) on Febuary 13. If anyone would like to make changes to thier entry they may do so by that time and not recieve a penalty.

picass0blue, if you need more time, you may use the extension too.

I'll be posting round 3 at the normal time though.

EDIT: Anyone interested in being a judge for the final 2 rounds?

Field Researcher
#118 Old 13th Feb 2011 at 3:13 AM
^ Oh thank heavens, I was about to ask! But GMT -5 is like 8am here or something I believe? (I'm terrible with numbers.) If I absolutely can't have a further extension I will just have to go without posting in this round. In fact if I don't post would I be able to judge for one round? I'm thinking if the answer's no I would just switch to judging because I have NO free time but am committed to this competition...
Lab Assistant
#119 Old 13th Feb 2011 at 3:13 AM
Thank you for the extention, I was almost done, but it still took for ever to finish it. It's 123 tiles, not counting the empty tiles above the stairs. I do have all the required items, but I'm not sure if they all show in the pictures. The fridge is under the stairs, they couldn't use it where it was before so I moved it. I've tested and they can use everything. I used a two tile coffee table as the sideboard.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#120 Old 13th Feb 2011 at 9:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sulyuki
not counting the empty tiles above the stairs

Wait, do tiles above stairs not count?? I thought they did.. Or was that just tiles under the stairs?

Scholar
Original Poster
#121 Old 13th Feb 2011 at 4:04 PM Last edited by kattenijin : 13th Feb 2011 at 8:19 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Cloudburst
Wait, do tiles above stairs not count?? I thought they did.. Or was that just tiles under the stairs?

Both count, for interior stairs. The "issue" with stair tiles, is that someone thought that Sims 2 players had a space advantage, because the spiral stairs "wasted" less tiles; when in fact, they actually "waste" more. (At least, in my opinion.)

Now, I apologise for not getting Round 3 posted on time, I got totally sucked-in to Dragonage last night (Yes, Virginia, I play non-Sims games, lol!), and was too tired to type in the post. It will be up shortly.

EDIT: MTS will be down, I need to postpone my post.

EDIT 2: Round two is closed BTW!

Scholar
Original Poster
#122 Old 13th Feb 2011 at 8:09 PM Last edited by kattenijin : 14th Feb 2011 at 12:13 AM.
Ok, looks like MTS is back up

At last! Your over-stuffed living situation has been looking up for a while, your eldest is married and in an apartment of their own; the middle child, while still single, also in their own place; and the "baby" of the family is finally in their first year of college! You've been slowly taking over their spaces for your own clutter, its time to turn those empty rooms into something for you to enjoy!

Then the phone rings, and rings, and rings! (What?! You thought you actually had SPACE this round?!) Your eldest's company just down-sized and laid him/her off, and that great apartment just went condo, so they need a "temporary" place to stay; by the way, "We're pregnant!" (Will that crib never go away?!). Your mother just got thrown out of the third assisted living comunity in a row for "wild behavior"; and your mother-in-law, who moved abroad when she retired (and whom you haven't seen in 5 years), just announced she'll be arriving for a six-month stay. Did I happen to mention just how well these two women get along? Just like oil and fire!

Using no more than 185 tiles, design a home for 7 sims and a baby. You may design in any style, on any lot, any number of floors. You may design an entirely new home, or add on to your previous lot. You may add outside terraces/decks in keeping with the scale of the home, and any landscaping/amenities you wish, again keeping in scale.

Please include all the furniture from the previous round, plus whatever additional pieces you think you need. There are no specific room requirements, but please keep in mind the personalities and relationships.

Rules, photos and scoreing are the same as in the aplication round. Tile bonus will be 1 point for each of 5 tiles saved.

Please PM me with any questions.

Mad Poster
#123 Old 14th Feb 2011 at 1:43 AM
Please include all the furniture from the previous round, plus whatever additional pieces you think you need. There are no specific room requirements, but please keep in mind the personalities and relationships.

Are me allowed to replace items of furniture with bigger items of furniture? Mainly, can we/I replace the two single beds from the previous round with double beds - I'd like to be able to give the mother and the mother-in-law double beds rather than single ones if I have space. Just makes more sense to me that adults would have double beds, even if they were single. I'm single, and I have a double bed! :-D
Scholar
Original Poster
#124 Old 14th Feb 2011 at 2:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
Are me allowed to replace items of furniture with bigger items of furniture? Mainly, can we/I replace the two single beds from the previous round with double beds - I'd like to be able to give the mother and the mother-in-law double beds rather than single ones if I have space. Just makes more sense to me that adults would have double beds, even if they were single. I'm single, and I have a double bed! :-D

I'm fairly positive there is a use for at least one of the single beds, with out it being assigned to either great-grand mother to be. The double beds for them would count as some of your additional pieces. The other single bed...I'm sure you can come up with something.

Mad Poster
#125 Old 14th Feb 2011 at 3:23 AM
I'm fairly positive there is a use for at least one of the single beds, with out it being assigned to either great-grand mother to be. The double beds for them would count as some of your additional pieces. The other single bed...I'm sure you can come up with something.

Aha, just reread the round outline thingy, and yes, that's one single bed sorted. Shall see what I come up with for the other one! :-)

Thanks for the quick reply!

**EDIT** Incidentally, I'd been hoping that we'd be back down to building a smaller house for this round, so I did groan when I saw it, but I'm getting rather enthousiastic about it now! I may have mentioned it before, but I'm really really enjoying this contest. Can't you make it a 10 round one?! :-P

Page 5 of 9