Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
just a girl
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 6:53 AM
Default How to make larger footprint without adding tiles?
The problem: meshes are wider than tiles they occupy. I can't add tiles, because it's beds and sofas, and additional tiles would mess them up - their parts' functions rely on multi-tile index. Can I do anything to prevent sims clipping/walking through?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 12:22 PM
The simple answer is to widen the footprint in the resource node (CRES). I have never done that on a multi tile item so I don't know if it works properly on them.

To achieve what you want you may have to add some 'squares' to the footprint which means adding arrays, to do that you'll need to understand the values for minx, maxx, miny and maxy. Those values can be negative so you will be able to add a row on both sides without moving the mesh. It is a bit complicated the first time so I recommend you try it on a copy first.
just a girl
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 12:47 PM
Of course! I thought I can only add as much arrays as there are tiles, but nothing really stopped me from adding more. I guess I was thinking inside the box literally!
Thank you so much.
just a girl
Original Poster
#4 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 10:51 AM
Came back to say it was too soon to be happy. It didn't work. Neither on one-tile armchair, nor on multi-tile objects.

What I did. I needed space on two sides, so I edited minx and maxx values and added two binary rows. It looked exactly right in drawing editor, where I ticked off some newly appeared boxes. But the game ignored my changes completely, even after I ticked off larger area to be sure. Did I miss something?

@Chris Hatch, you sounded like you succeeded at least with one-tile objects. If by any chance you remember which object that was and can share a link to it or something, I'd take a look inside and maybe find a clue.

I also tried something else - setting "extend footprint" property to 1 in OBJD raw data. This time the game recognized larger footprint, but 1) it only worked for one-tile chair and 2) it fucked up my functions, because "Set to next - object on same tile" started returning false for that chair, as if it didn't occupy any tile or didn't know what tile it occupies any more.
Scholar
#5 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 12:20 PM
That's pretty much what I suspected, for single tile items extend footprint in the OBJD does need to be set but I suspected that could not work well for multi tile items as the footprint of every tile would then include every other tile.

I have an 'extended footprint' single tile item HERE (CS_NativeRaft.zip 700kb) that you can look at, it's the native raft from Castaway which must be placed in the ocean on a beach and if Seasons is installed sims can play on it, climbing up the ladder on one side then jump into the water on the other side. As well as extending the footprint that item also has a slot on one side that extends beyond the footprint that sims use to check it's clear to jump to before climbing up so they can't get stuck on it.
just a girl
Original Poster
#6 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 4:02 PM
I guess this method is not going to work in my case, since it's important to find objects on same tile. And I'm pretty sure extend footprint setting is what confuses the STN.

Thanks for the object, I'll keep it. Sounds like a nice beach activity.
Instructor
#7 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 9:39 PM
I had a similar problem with a bed (http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=603194), and eventually had to workaround with a combination of adding tiles, editing init bhavs, and rebuilding the cres footprint. feel free to open it up and look, in case some of that will help. Am subscribing to this thread, in case somebody comes up with a better way, just using the cres footprint, which I would love to learn.
just a girl
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 10:19 AM
Thanks, d4RE, but I don't know how to add tiles to chairs and sofas without messing up sitting and standing. I've tried before.