Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Mar 2018 at 5:39 AM
Default UL-style apartments for Homeworld University?
So I'm working on building a world and want to incorporate a "homeworld" university via Margaret Pendragon's university rugs. I'm beginning to work on my plan for this, but I'm wondering about student housing options. I know that with HWUs, students can stay living at home, but I thought it'd be cool to have some apartment buildings near the campus where students could live. I've been doing some reading on them, however, and it sounds like they're more trouble than they're worth? A lot of those posts were pretty old, though, so I was wondering if there have been any improvements / updates on that whole system? I'm really just looking for general feedback from players who have built / used this lot type before. Best practices? Don't bother?
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 26th Mar 2018 at 12:35 PM
You have 2 or 3 different systems to consider, I might be a bit rusty, I'm mostly building in 4 these days.

The roommate system is generally considered a pain in the ass, at least that's my impression from what others say. I don't know that much about it.

Semi roommate is the system where you use the apartment zoning with a mod. I tested it once, but again the apartmfnt zoning is buggy, and I don't know if tge modder has managed to fix it, or if he/she is still around.

Then you have the LateNight or later actually basegame compatible, hidden and public roommarkers system. This is generally the system people and world builders use. It takes some getting used to. I have a tutorial somewhere. I'll dig it up when I get back to my pc. Perhaps someone else has something useful.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Mar 2018 at 3:28 PM
Thanks girl! I think that's probably what I'll go with for a quad unit or something. I'll probably also use SP / Money and build some very small lots with tiny houses near the campus (the story being a local sim bought up a parcel of land near the campus and built affordable student housing units - and he or she collects the rent!).
dodgy builder
#4 Old 26th Mar 2018 at 4:35 PM
EA didn't provide the collecting rent part, you need a mod for that. I know there used to be a couple and the one using the buggy apartment zoning was one of them. If I where you I would ask in the wcif or Where can I find forum in the sims 3 discussion forum. I never found it interesting enough.

The tutorial I promised you: