Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Nov 2018 at 11:03 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default How CC-a-Holic simmers makes their game stable?
Hello.

This is a nightmare to play the sims 2 with custom contents because it is always randomly crashes everytime I use the catalog to decorate a house. I don't know how to fix my game correctly to make my game stable.
I did everything I know it continues to crash. To sum up : I deleted the highlighted red furnitures with Sims2cleaner, I deleted all the GUID conflicts with Simpe, did the 50/50 methods etc. Nothing that calm down my game. I think something is weird.
I saw plenty of players who got tons of cc, making awesome custom houses and they have no problems, in my game I always got problems. I am sure I have missed something I still ignore to make my game stable. I got 12.3 Gb of cc for decorating, recolours and building in total.
My houses are cc light.
My questions are :1 / How to detect wrong custom content in a better way?
2 /CC-a-holic sims 2 simmer, how do you manage your game to make it stable with your huge amount of cc?
Please I really need your testimonies and your suggestions because I am desperated.

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-770K Quad Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM / Available OS Memory: 8134MB RAM
Card name: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 200 Series

Thank you very much.

I don't have the UC.

I speak French only. If my statements are harsh, rude for you, that's not intentional. I just think Different due to my Language and my Culture.
But truly, I am open-minded than you think of.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 18th Nov 2018 at 11:58 PM
Do you have on the 4 gbt patch and the graphics rules done? You need both of those if you want a detailed cc full game.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 19th Nov 2018 at 12:01 AM
Answering your question #2 first:

Saying that CC hoarders have "no" problems isn't true.

I should probably be listed directly under the definition of a CC hoarder (my minimum-CC game always has around 3-6 GB of CC I hardly ever remove, and I've had 30-35 GB on one computer, and you should see my collection of CC I've never even used - I even download tons of CC for TS3 and TS4 even if I hardly ever play them, and after I started making CC my hoarding issue got even worse). Over the years I've had several CC issues: Blue-flashing items, error messages, jump bugs, pink-flashing with too much CC, that one item that crashes the entire game, and so on. The thing is, I've played for a long time. I know my game, know all the quirks, know the tricks to make seemingly uncompatible items work nicely together, and so on. It's part experience, and learning from trial and failure. I also don't blindly trust (and hardly ever use) the conflict detectors. Some mods will show up as conflicting, while they really can coexist. Sometimes you may even delete the wrong files, you may end up causing more issues. When I have a CC-related problem, I either work on it to find a solution (50/50, sort by date, logical "it's a small electric item, so I'll search for those", or any other method of finding problem CC content that fits my current problem), and when I find the item I consider if I really need it in my game, or whether it's possible to fix the item so it works.

So how to make your game stable? These are things I've realized is alpha-omega of a tidy Downloads folder over the years (even though I haven't been good at following all of them...)

1: First, make sure your game runs fine without CC (not counting the no-NPC-spawn hacks and alfixes and other hacks meant to fix serious issues patches don't fix). If it doesn't, you'll never get a stable game, particularly not if you start adding CC to the mix.
2: Organize your CC (but don't over-organize it into too deep subfoldering with too long names). You should minimum have folders for hacks, CAS content, Buy, Build, and default replacements. That way it's easier to test just that one folder if you have issues with, say, a hack or a CAS item.
3: Read about the content before you download it. If you don't, you'll end up with conflicting hacks, blue-flashing slaved items, GUID conflicts and so forth.
4: Be critical, and only put items you know you'll use into your Downloads folder. Do you really need 60 almost identical chairs? Do you really need all of those 120 colors of one carpet? Do you really need to download that medieval dress when you only play modern? Sure, download it if you think you'll need it some day, but it's better to keep those extra bits of CC elsewhere on your computer or on an external harddrive or similar, than having them cluttering up the ingame catalog.
5: Gradually build up your Downloads folder. Don't chuck it in all at once and hope it works. That's a recipe for failure.
6: If you hit a problem, figure it out before you go on. Do a 50/50, look in the folder you think has the problem, or find some other method that works for you.
7: Put new content in a "TEST" folder and make sure you actually test it out before sorting it properly (don't leave it in that folder until it's a big mess, like I frequently do in my laptop test game).

So onto your current problem:
In your case, where the game always crashes around a spesific Buy catalog, there's probably a problem with an item in the Buy catalog. If you don't have a clue what it might be, do a 50/50 search. Take note of where the game crashes (small electronics? Plants? Appliances?) so you have an idea of what to look for. Don't be afraid to do a 50/50 just because you have a lot of CC or have no clue where the problem is (even with 30+ GB it really only takes an evening or two of methodical searching to track down problem content, judging from personal experience).