Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#176 Old 1st Aug 2019 at 8:58 PM
when will it be back up and running SimPE sims 2, the site is still down
Advertisement
Alchemist
#177 Old 2nd Aug 2019 at 12:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
That sounds like a good idea BUT.. there are so many creators for TS2 active/still active and not all of them come here. So it would be next to impossible to have a complete list of every GUID created and used by every creator.

I think you could reach nearly everyone if it was advertised on all the active boards and tumblr, but there's no way to check the GUIDS against all the others that have been used over the past decade and a half.

Quote: Originally posted by PinkpalaceLizzie
when will it be back up and running SimPE sims 2, the site is still down

We don't know. The person who owns the site is no longer active in the community and no one has been able to reach them. It might not come back.
Test Subject
#178 Old 8th Aug 2019 at 8:16 PM
A new database is a good idea, we can sponsor the site with donations, but i don't know how the original GUID was created, yes is Hexcode, but is in order or random?. Also the original database is necesary to avoid duplicate codes.
Alchemist
#179 Old 8th Aug 2019 at 8:53 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 15th Oct 2019 at 6:54 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Meh, database, shmatabase. I mean, it's nice to have one and all and I DO have a block of GUIDs that I haven't used up, but I forgot my login at the SimPE site looooooooooooong ago. So...

Is the GUID you make that way guaranteed to be absolutely unique? Nope. Is there a chance your GUID will conflict with something else out there? Yup, but it's an infinitesimally small chance. Even more so because GUIDs in some different categories won't conflict even if used again in a different category. For instance, fences. Any GUID for a fence can be used in any other category, and the two objects (or whatever) won't conflict.

I agree that, for the community as a whole over a long period of time, a solution is nice, but I am personally of this mind, as well. I don't worry over it. I change the numbers of my creations somehow and make sure they don't conflict with Maxis and call it good. The chances of conflict are so very low, and the worst that could happen is you release something and someone says, hey, this conflicts, and you change it. Even the user can change it if needed, so I wouldn't delay making and sharing things while the site is down myself.
Undead Molten Llama
#180 Old 8th Aug 2019 at 9:50 PM Last edited by iCad : 8th Aug 2019 at 10:10 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by ZeusSims
What if that creator unknowingly uses the same numbers that I have used for my objects? Definitely someone, he or I, has to change the guids of their objects, so that both can exist in the game.

If that happens, then what will probably happen is that one or the other object will not appear in a person's game. They will notice or not, and if they notice, they will bring it to someone's attention. OR they will simply realize what happened and change the GUID themselves, if they're familiar with the concept of GUIDs, are knowledgeable about the symptom of conflicts (i.e., object does not appear even though you are 100% certain you have the mesh for it), and can run SimPE. It is not hard to do.

Look, under the hexadecimal system, you can create more numbers with fewer digits than you can in decimal. As in, in hex the numbers 10-15 are each one digit whereas in decimal they are two each. Similarly, the number 100 in hexadecimal is 2 digits long, not three digits as it is in decimal. You don't hit three digits until you get to 256. The largest 8-digit number in decimal is 99,999,999; in hex, the largest 8-digit number "translates" to 4,294,967,295 in decimal. So, there are about 43x more possible GUIDs that can be created in hex than the 99,999,999 than can be created in decimal. So, so long as the digits are sufficiently randomized, there is an extremely miniscule chance of two sequences of 8 digits generating twice. Especially because in many cases a conflicting GUID is only a problem if the objects are in the same category. Like, two couches using the same GUID. Or two fences. But if a couch uses the same GUID as a fence, there will be no conflict between the two. Add in the fact that no one downloads every single object that's ever been made, so even if by chance two (or more) objects floating around out there have the same GUID (which is a tiny chance), the chances of one person having both/any combination of those objects is smaller still so...yeah. Probability is a thing that exists. The problem is that people in general have no concept of just how big large numbers are. Most people can't really conceptualize past about 100000 or so.

In short, this whole thing is...not a big deal, and I have no idea why people wouldn't continue to share stuff just because a database is down. People have been creating objects without registering GUIDs at the database probably for as long as modding the game has been possible because not everyone takes that step because it's not like it's required or anything. And it's not like the game suddenly stops working if there is no GUID database. The game has no idea the database exists, after all.

So just generate your GUIDs in a completely random way (I actually wouldn't recommend sequential ones) and don't worry about it. Random.org is a good way to generate your digits because their algorithm is actually completely random whereas other "random" generators....aren't so random. Like the game's, for instance!

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Lab Assistant
#181 Old 9th Aug 2019 at 8:38 PM
Thank you very much Icad, for the recommendation you offer me, I think I put your advice into practice and I will create my own GUIDS.
I also want to say that I think the same as NadiaZeta, of course I want to make clear all my support in case that happens.
Test Subject
#182 Old 21st Nov 2019 at 3:15 AM
Default How Do I Enter the GUID I Got at Random.org in SimPE?
So just generate your GUIDs in a completely random way (I actually wouldn't recommend sequential ones) and don't worry about it. Random.org is a good way to generate your digits because their algorithm is actually completely random whereas other "random" generators....aren't so random. Like the game's, for instance! [/QUOTE]

Greetings! I am just beginning to do some conversions for TS2 from TS4 and I can't figure out where it is I am supposed to be putting the hex numbers for the GUID in SimPE. I was putting them in Object Data Editor on the left hand side in the box between GUID and the link get GUID, one for each OBJD that the cloned object has. That is definitely NOT where it goes, but figuring this out through process of elimination will take forever, so could you please clue me in? I'm new at this and I've been chasing my tail trying to figure this out. I don't want to get frustrated and give up. I'm so excited about doing conversions and having something to contribute to the community, after all I have gotten from it. I have searched all over for an explanation about how to do this very basic and necessary thing. I can't tell you how tired I am of my browser asking me if I mean SIMPLE, instead of SimPE.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#183 Old 21st Nov 2019 at 5:08 AM
@jessb66 someone, who is far more SimPE savvy then myself will probably answer, but incase not, can you attach a picture?

For most items, just do hex generator, don't change what ever circle it has dotted, just grab that number and put it in the GUID box and update MMAT's, commit and save. I'm not sure where you are just by a description.

As to Google, make sure to use 'simPE sims 2'

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#184 Old 21st Nov 2019 at 6:05 AM
Default Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
@jessb66 someone, who is far more SimPE savvy then myself will probably answer, but incase not, can you attach a picture?

For most items, just do hex generator, don't change what ever circle it has dotted, just grab that number and put it in the GUID box and update MMAT's, commit and save. I'm not sure where you are just by a description.

As to Google, make sure to use 'simPE sims 2'

Who knows what in the world I was doing wrong, but you are absolutely right, the hash generator in Tools/Object Tools works! I discovered this moments ago through this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXUbX6dE4Wc

[Youtube is pretty amazing, isn't it? You can find out how to do anything on Youtube -- how to tie a bow, how to do brain surgery, literally anything.]

You take the result from the hash generator and put it in exactly the box I was trying (unsuccessfully) to put it in. You know the one in Object Data Editor, the one the left hand side between GUID and the get GUID link. You get the Object Data Editor by clicking on an OBJD in the resource list. I guess there was something not right about the hexadecimal numbers I was trying to put in there, so SimPE kicked it out?

I'm so happy about this that I actually and for real did a little happy dance. I am sitting here with this big, silly grin on my face. Boy, I must really LOVE this game! ...and I guess it's time to finally admit that I have no life...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#185 Old 21st Nov 2019 at 7:29 AM
Okay, hope I helped in some way lol. That video is pretty much what I do except I always tick the MMAT's box and update that as well, as sometimes you need to.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#186 Old 21st Nov 2019 at 10:24 AM
Thank you so much, finally it's work!!
Instructor
#187 Old 5th Jan 2020 at 12:46 PM
I know this thread has not had a reply for a month now. But I can't make it work even if I follow all the tips in this forum. I don't have a account in SimPE so maybe that's why? Or do you guys have any other tip?
It's a real bummer otherwise.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#188 Old 22nd Feb 2020 at 3:29 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 22nd Mar 2020 at 8:57 PM.
The SimPE site is most likely down for good.

If you want SimPe, please see The SimPE Preservation thread.  If you have any questions about SimPE, please post in the Sims 2 Tools forum, and use the category SimPE.
If you need GUIDs, please see the GUID Database thread.
Locked thread
Page 8 of 8