Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 2:32 AM
Default Adjusting Hands to Default Skeleton
Greetings, I come again with another issue.

I've been trying to create "sexy hands" for male and female sims.

This is the male version:

You'll notice that the skeleton on the new hands do not match up as nicely on the Maxis hands. Thus, they don't animate perfectly.

I have two questions:

1) Can I manually edit the skeleton? I want to move the digits of the skeleton around so that they match up with the new mesh. But would doing so be a bad idea?

2) Is there a better way to go about doing this?

Thanks in advance,

--Jasumi
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 2:46 AM
You can't move the joints, no. I think you need to focus on moving your hand/finger parts to match the skeleton, not the other way around.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 5:18 AM
I hoping you wouldn't say that lol

Back to meshing the hands, I go...
Not actually evil.
#4 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 4:26 AM
The hands do look much prettier than Maxis, but they also look much smaller. I can see how this would make many hand animations not look right in game, especially when holding objects, or touching other sims. I suggest scaling the hands up.

I have an observation, not related to your original question. These hands look very detailed, nails, knuckles, joints, etc. Very lovely, but I'm guessing quite high poly. Most of the time, the camera is zoomed out so much that we wouldn't see this lovely detail anyway, so is the high poly count worth it? Are these hands meant for story tellers and movie makers, for closeup shots?

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 7:17 PM
HP, thanks for your advice. You pretty-much confirmed what I felt I had to do. I've now got them texturing correctly and animating fully-functional as well. A bit un-proportional, but a good sacrifice.

CoEG , those are good points.

The polycount is 800. A bit high, yes.

But you were correct when you mentioned story-telling and movie-making, as these hands would look much better in close-ups. That was my original motive. But if you have any advice about lowering the polycount, I would appreciate it.
Not actually evil.
#6 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 10:08 PM
You could try a poly decimation tool that lets you specify a feature angle, so you reduce polys in flat areas, but keep detail like nail ridges. I wouldn't recommend the one in MilkShape, unless you've got nothing else.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 4:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
You could try a poly decimation tool that lets you specify a feature angle, so you reduce polys in flat areas, but keep detail like nail ridges. I wouldn't recommend the one in MilkShape, unless you've got nothing else.

I see. I know of one for Zbrush, do you know of a tool Independent of a specific program?