Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#151 Old 23rd Jul 2019 at 3:19 PM
I'm sorry for bothering; is this thread related to the current error (503 Service Unavailable) that you get at the SimPE site? Does it mean it won't get fixed? I've been trying to register a GUID for a couple of days but I am unable.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#152 Old 23rd Jul 2019 at 5:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cows
I'm sorry for bothering; is this thread related to the current error (503 Service Unavailable) that you get at the SimPE site? Does it mean it won't get fixed? I've been trying to register a GUID for a couple of days but I am unable.

the GUID is neccesary i need the code too. I hope that is fix soon.
Mad Poster
#153 Old 23rd Jul 2019 at 7:14 PM
^ You can make new GUIDs without registering them, though you do run a small risk of bumping into already used GUIDs. If you write them down and count up from the last one, it's easier to keep track. If you already have a GUID block registered (and know the numbers) you can use the block and register them properly later.

Keep above 0x01000000 (the last GUID block I registered was around 0x00900000, which isn't that long ago, and I think the're assigned in a numerical order, so you won't want to make lower numbers than that). GUIDs use Hex, which works in a 0-9, then A-F order (continues in a 10-FF order, then 100-FFF, etc.)
Mad Poster
#154 Old 25th Jul 2019 at 8:42 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 25th Jul 2019 at 8:52 PM.
^ GUIDs had my head spinning at first, too - but it's really just counting to 16 over and over again (like decimal but with 6 letters at the end). If you're having problems, there's hexadecimal calculators available via a Google search, also very helpful if you need the decimal number of the Hex. If you learn Hex with just 2-digits you can start with a random number (that ends in 00), count up to it endin with FF, and then already have 256 GUIDs (00-FF), which should be enough for a little while (the registered blocks come in intervals of 256, from 00-FF). Then you change the 3rd number one up and the two last are reset to 00, and you have 256 more. Just a bit of practice, that's all

It is a bit confusing at first, but it's not too hard once you start getting the logic. It's basically 0 to 9, then A to F, and start over again, just like you count to 10 over and over again in the Decimal system (0-9, 10-19, 20-29, etc.)

00-09 then 0A-0F, then 10-19, then 1A-1F, continue this to 9A-9F, then A0-A9, AA-AF, and all the way up to FF.

Funny fact, if you use all the regular clothing or hair categories together in a number, you see the seemingly random F at the end (0x0000137F), right? That's because Everyday (7) and swimwear (8) put together is 15, which in Hex is F.

If you want to make it easier for yourself, you can just use numbers (but you'll skip 6 digits every time you go back to 0, so it doesn't work for anything that gets confusing(poseboxes, BHAVs, etc.) - I did purely numbers for making separate Bin numbers for accessories, which works fine. This works for GUIDs too, but you'll be skipping those 6 numbers so you'll only have 100 numbers to work with (0-99).
Mad Poster
#155 Old 25th Jul 2019 at 9:15 PM
Dang it, I do absolutely no meshing for seven years, then just when I decided I want to fix some GUID conflicts by registering new ones, the site dies completely! So. Question. Exactly how many GUIDs are in a block? I think I only ever registered the one block and used 15 GUIDs so I wanna know how many I have left before I have to come up with totally new, random ones somehow.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#156 Old 25th Jul 2019 at 9:40 PM
Mad Poster
#157 Old 25th Jul 2019 at 9:45 PM
Oh! That's all right then, I was worried it was gonna be something titchy like 20 haha. Well, I opened all the objects I made (and I'm gonna check for more because I just remembered I made some modded potions too), noted the GUIDs down in order in OpenOffice Calc, then used a hexadecimal convertor to convert the first one to decimal. Popped that in the first cell, dragged it down to 256, so now when I want one, I can just convert one. Shame I can't use the drag-down method to automatically work out the hex ones (as far as I know, anyway...), but when it get to 09, it just goes straight up to 10.
Alchemist
#158 Old 25th Jul 2019 at 9:50 PM
About getting new guids - here's an explanation for how in an old SimPE tutorial that apparently predates the SimPE database.
Mad Poster
#159 Old 25th Jul 2019 at 9:53 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 25th Jul 2019 at 10:16 PM.
sushigal007, It's much easier to just count in Hex, because you quickly run into some high numbers that get even more confusing, and unless Excel can do Hex that sounds like a rather tedious method.

I tend to just start at 00 (and whatever comes before it) and count my way up (noting the GUID and the item I used it for so it's easier to register later), and if I'm unsure what's the next number up, I use a calculator to check.

This one is neat because you have conversions several ways (even adding two hex numbers) - https://www.calculator.net/hex-calculator.html

Hex is actually quite neat, because you only have 8 digits to worry about, and still get very high numbers

For instance
014F73DC
vs

or (switching 01 to 9F)
9F4F73DC
vs

(By calculator, because mah brainz no do math on that scale )
Mad Poster
#160 Old 25th Jul 2019 at 9:54 PM Last edited by sushigal007 : 25th Jul 2019 at 10:33 PM.
Ahh, I did see people mentioning the hash generator when I was searching earlier, but no explanation of how it actually worked or what to do if you had an object that needed more than one GUID.
Field Researcher
#161 Old 25th Jul 2019 at 10:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
...Shame I can't use the drag-down method to automatically work out the hex ones (as far as I know, anyway...), but when it get to 09, it just goes straight up to 10.

In Open Office there is a function DEC2HEX which does what you want. For example : Put your decimal GUID value in A1 Put DEC2HEX(A1) in another cell e.g B1.You can then drag down in the usual way.
Mad Poster
#162 Old 26th Jul 2019 at 12:17 AM
Oh brilliant, thank you!
Field Researcher
#163 Old 26th Jul 2019 at 4:53 AM
Just dropped by to mention that I contacted Julsfel on the 16th, hoping she would be able to contact Quaxi much the same way she did last year. She wrote me back informing me she had sent out a contact email, in hopes we might get his attention once more. Have not heard back yet, but I really do think this is a great thing going on here.

Personally I hope the database is restored, but perhaps we can also hope that it may change management as well, if Julsfel's is successful in getting in contact.
Undead Molten Llama
#164 Old 26th Jul 2019 at 5:14 AM
Meh, database, shmatabase. I mean, it's nice to have one and all and I DO have a block of GUIDs that I haven't used up, but I forgot my login at the SimPE site looooooooooooong ago. So...

When I need a GUID (which is rare), I go to random.org's random byte generator here: https://www.random.org/bytes/ Tell it to generate four bytes for you in hexadecimal. (1 byte = 2 digits, so if you generate 4 bytes you get the 8 digits you need for a GUID.) Stick those four bytes together (with no spaces, obviously) in any combination you want, et voilà! There's your GUID. No math needed at all, and no need to understand base 16/hex at all. (Though it is, IMO, a better system than base 10/decimal.)

Is the GUID you make that way guaranteed to be absolutely unique? Nope. Is there a chance your GUID will conflict with something else out there? Yup, but it's an infinitesimally small chance. Even more so because GUIDs in some different categories won't conflict even if used again in a different category. For instance, fences. Any GUID for a fence can be used in any other category, and the two objects (or whatever) won't conflict.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Alchemist
#165 Old 26th Jul 2019 at 1:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
Ahh, I did see people mentioning the hash generator when I was searching earlier, but no explanation of how it actually worked or what to do if you had an object that needed more than one GUID.

You can change the string slightly. If you've pasted your unique name into the box, like lamp-Sushigal-[26.7.19-ff33], you could add a different letter or number to the end, and the hash generator will generate a different guid for you. Or you could just add 1 to the GUID generated, so if you are given guid 0x10000000, use 0x10000001 for your next GUID and so on.
Forum Resident
#166 Old 26th Jul 2019 at 2:13 PM Last edited by natboopsie : 27th Jul 2019 at 12:58 AM.
The recent posts on the GUID database are all present in this thread now (thanks to admin staff for doing a thread split)!

Please feel free to continue discussion in this thread about working around the current absence of the GUID database that was at ambertation.de, as well as any ideas for reviving it.

[Original post deleted for clarity after thread split]

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
Lab Assistant
#168 Old 31st Jul 2019 at 2:19 AM
How is the situation, is there anything new?
The site keeps saying: 503 Service Unavailable.
Will this time be like the previous one and Quaxi will appear to solve the problem?
I want to be positive and think the best, SimPE is still a very useful program to create content, edit files, etc...
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
Lab Assistant
#170 Old 1st Aug 2019 at 5:22 PM
First of all, I hope that my comment does not offend anyone and makes me look like an envious person, because it is not so.
Beyond optimism, you have to be realistic: Quaxi is the sole owner of your site and has no obligation to repair it, you can do what you want and it is in all its right.
In addition, there is another problem that here in MTS does not look much, but on Tumblr have appeared a lot of new creators, who perform conversions of TS4.
On the one hand it is great, it is always good that more people get involved in the community, but on the other hand I see it as a problem.
Simpe's database has been down since mid-July. The posts that I see are recent, so how are they assigning GUIDS to these objects if SimPE doesn't work?
I know what can be done, let's say at home, but what will happen when the database is restored?
Surely there will be a lot of people complaining that the game does not work, that the objects do not appear in the catalog and so on.
Because let's be honest, although the method to create a new Guid number works, in fact I have tried it myself, it is not regulated.
Anyone can make their own numbers, but they don't know if they are using a number that was already assigned to another creator.
Anyway, that's my opinion.
I apologize if there are mistakes, English is not my native language.
Field Researcher
#171 Old 1st Aug 2019 at 5:59 PM
@ZeusSims in my case, the ts4>ts2 conversions i have shared (and plan to share) at tumblr were done months ago so there is no guid problem. but i don't think i'm going to share anything 'new' again until the database gets fixed.
Alchemist
#172 Old 1st Aug 2019 at 6:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ZeusSims
First of all, I hope that my comment does not offend anyone and makes me look like an envious person, because it is not so.
Beyond optimism, you have to be realistic: Quaxi is the sole owner of your site and has no obligation to repair it, you can do what you want and it is in all its right.
In addition, there is another problem that here in MTS does not look much, but on Tumblr have appeared a lot of new creators, who perform conversions of TS4.
On the one hand it is great, it is always good that more people get involved in the community, but on the other hand I see it as a problem.
Simpe's database has been down since mid-July. The posts that I see are recent, so how are they assigning GUIDS to these objects if SimPE doesn't work?
I know what can be done, let's say at home, but what will happen when the database is restored?
Surely there will be a lot of people complaining that the game does not work, that the objects do not appear in the catalog and so on.
Because let's be honest, although the method to create a new Guid number works, in fact I have tried it myself, it is not regulated.
Anyone can make their own numbers, but they don't know if they are using a number that was already assigned to another creator.
Anyway, that's my opinion.
I apologize if there are mistakes, English is not my native language.

You make good points, and the situation is not ideal, but what else can people do? No one else besides Quaxi can restore the GUID database. If people wait for him to come back and fix it before sharing things again, there is a good chance that would be the end of the modding community (with the exception of recolors and CAS stuff). There is no guarantee that he will return, and even if he does this time, if he doesn't set up a protocol to transfer ownership to someone active in the community, the same thing will happen again. A GUID conflict isn't going to break a game. If the player removes the object and alerts the creator so they can assign it a new GUID, things will be fine.
Test Subject
#173 Old 1st Aug 2019 at 6:56 PM
i don't know if someone has thinking of this. But well i return to the Sims 2 for to Machinima and i want to do some new mesh and stuff. I was thinking in post every GUID code in case has a problem with another person code i can change the code. This in case of curse i share the object. That make solve the problem in part. thats is what i think. what the rest of the user think?
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#174 Old 1st Aug 2019 at 7:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NadiaZeta
i don't know if someone has thinking of this. But well i return to the Sims 2 for to Machinima and i want to do some new mesh and stuff. I was thinking in post every GUID code in case has a problem with another person code i can change the code. This in case of curse i share the object. That make solve the problem in part. thats is what i think. what the rest of the user think?

That sounds like a good idea BUT.. there are so many creators for TS2 active/still active and not all of them come here. So it would be next to impossible to have a complete list of every GUID created and used by every creator.
Lab Assistant
#175 Old 1st Aug 2019 at 8:27 PM
Quote:
That sounds like a good idea BUT.. there are so many creators for TS2 active/still active and not all of them come here. So it would be next to impossible to have a complete list of every GUID created and used by every creator.

Exactly, that's what I'm referring to!

I also have objects that I have not yet published, as Cows says, that have guids assigned before the data base broke. That definitely does not represent a problem for anyone.
I am referring to the new creators, for example: right now while writing this message, someone somewhere in the world decides to create new objects for The Sims 2. It is obvious that this creator never registered in Simpe's database, therefore you have to use the method of creating the guids manually.
What if that creator unknowingly uses the same numbers that I have used for my objects? Definitely someone, he or I, has to change the guids of their objects, so that both can exist in the game.
It is also true what Omglo says, we cannot wait forever for Quaxi and stand idly by, or sadly that would be the beginning of the end for the community.
If you ask me, I have no idea what would be the best solution, maybe among all the creators make a new database? I honestly don't know if that is possible.
Locked thread
Page 7 of 8