Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 4th May 2007 at 11:47 PM
Hey! Well, i think all your tutorials are really good. this is the only one im having trouble with! The first thing I want to do is change this from a stodgy old mock turtleneck into a see-through lacy top. This is the part I want to modify. . .but not here, in the alpha file!! I’m going to skip a couple of steps here. I have a picture of some lace that I copied and pasted onto itself in a new window in Photoshop until it was big enough to scale down to proper sim-size (as shown in my last tutorial, Adding Texture). Now I have taken my texture.bmp file, desaturated it, selected the whole thing and copied and pasted it onto the alpha file. I then used the polygonal lasso to select only the turtleneck section. I apply a mask, revealing only the selection.-on that part when i do the lasso tool GIMP makes me anchor layer before i can actually select the turtleneck. so when i click add a mask it doesnt do anything (basically the texture.bmp has to flatten over the alpha which makes it 1 layer.)Please help!
Advertisement
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#27 Old 5th May 2007 at 1:05 AM
combustion03 - this isn't a gimp tutorial and faylen doesn't even have gimp Maybe you should make a new layer before doing the paste? Things should still be in layers, there's ways to do that. There's a book online that teaches the slightly odd way in which gimp uses layers: http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/ you can download it and view it on your computer locally or on the web. Free.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 29th May 2007 at 9:21 AM
AMAZING tutorial, Faylen. I've been wondering about this for so so so long =D

ON WEDNESDAYS, WE WEAR PINK
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 1st Jul 2007 at 8:56 PM
How do I get the lace into the right place?
Can someone please help me...I get lost when Faylen says to insert the lace into the Alpha file.

How do I get the lace to fill in the 'cut out' part? Do I copy and paste it or something?

Your help would be extremely appreciated!! I have done Faylen's other tutorials, I am just stuck here!!

~DidaDragonfly~
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#30 Old 1st Jul 2007 at 10:08 PM
didadragonfly - okay yeah, Faylen skipped quite a bit in there... so... let me see
She took a lace texture - scaled it to a size she liked, and the used the darkness/contrast buttons to make the lace area black and white, with the white being the lace and black being the background. You might save that into a little temp file just so you don't lose your texture once you've made it.

I believe she opened her alpha file, and then pasted a copy of the outfit into it on another layer. Then she selected the shirt front area to make the mask. Then she could hide the texture layer - so that the alpha shows again (which initially would have been all white where the shirt was)

Then she used the mask so that when she pasted in her lace area (onto a new layer), that it only was in the front section there where the shirt has been. She should have also repeated this procedure with the lace texture on the back of the shirt, where the shirt extends above the jacket collar.

I think I have it all now.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Test Subject
#31 Old 5th Aug 2007 at 4:34 AM
How do you add other meshes to bodyshop? I mean all that's turning up in my mine are a few of maxis ones. Only a few, like about five
BUt the tutorial was great! i made my first outfit succesfully :D
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#32 Old 5th Aug 2007 at 5:56 AM
ilovemama
Do not use downloaded bodyshop. It's old and broken.
Use the bodyshop that comes with your game.

Test Subject
#33 Old 6th Aug 2007 at 12:18 PM
i do. It comes with my sims 2 cd...
My cousin uses the same one and it's okay with her game.
With mine, only maxis (not even all of them) appear >
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#34 Old 6th Aug 2007 at 10:05 PM
ilovemama from the game help area:

http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?..._Help:Body_Shop

There is a lot of info in it, so step through slowly to see what might help you get yours working correctly. And know that you are not alone in having something odd happen with your bodyshop.

Test Subject
#35 Old 7th Aug 2007 at 3:36 PM
thanks alot tiggerypum I'll check it out.
Test Subject
#36 Old 2nd Apr 2008 at 12:41 PM
Default Maybe Im Lost
Maybe i wasnt reading right but did he explain how to put nonpattern images around things like pantlegs and sleeves? i tried a bit last night and this is all i could come up with can someone direct me to what i need to read to align things up at the seams?

world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#37 Old 2nd Apr 2008 at 12:55 PM
Khameleon, look under my profile for a tutorial on that - "exporting UV maps for better clothing recolours" - it'll let you see where the seams are to make aligning things easier. Not -easy- but easier.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 24th May 2008 at 11:23 PM
where did you get the lace pattern?
Test Subject
#39 Old 26th May 2008 at 10:27 PM Last edited by ChiiSanCullen : 26th May 2008 at 11:43 PM.
Default Dx Help!!!
Uh...hi! I have a QUICK question. How do you get body shop files to open? Like, when I click on them, they open up the body shop, but not the clothing or mesh.
Scholar
#40 Old 10th Aug 2008 at 6:51 PM
i really like ur tutorials but there are some i can't quite manage to make this one and the one before( maybe because iam low on sugar these days..) anyway great job and can you tell me where do you get those patterns but please Pm me i probably wont surf around alot ( iam too lazy these days) please and thank you a million!

"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure"

Yet another Tumblr
Livejournal
Test Subject
#41 Old 16th Sep 2008 at 3:39 PM
u taught me alot of stuff today, THANKYOU, now,me and bodyshop, =D
Test Subject
#42 Old 25th Oct 2008 at 3:07 PM
Okay, maybe it's the lack of sleep or something but I really feel like you missed a step somewhere and I'm totally confused. Right after you have us created the layer mask for the texture, you say that only the selected area will show up. Check. But then you jump to the lace pattern and I do not see how you got the lace pattern to fit where the turtle neck was. I got it to sort of work if I invert the selection and apply a mask for everything but the neck but then it just seems to throw off the rest of the tutorial. What am I missing here? I know you said you skipped a couple of steps but I'd be nice to know which steps.
Test Subject
#43 Old 21st Dec 2008 at 6:50 PM
I would like to congratulation Faylen the wonderful work that will enable not only to me like so many others who love the TS2 to make the game more fun and challenging. Thank you for the 4 tutorials were very clear and objective. I understood everything perfectly. Now I will start to implement what I learned.
Test Subject
#44 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 12:10 AM
what if, say, i wanted to remove the sleeves? How would one go about doing that?

Hey people! Go to my site,http://aprilterisa.googlepages.com/home
for cool downloads, movies, games, and a chat room! :D

oh and by the way, i am a girl...
Test Subject
#45 Old 18th Feb 2009 at 9:22 AM
Hello,
Thank you for these tutorials!!! But I have a question if you download somewhere only a mesh and you want to color them how do you do that? Like some sites say don't recolor our stuff and download just the mesh and work with them.
I hope i've written it understandly!
x Loni93
Test Subject
#46 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 3:17 AM
Alright, now for my help question:
I'm trying to shorten the sleeves on a shirt. I edit the alpha appropriately. The color dissappears, but replaces it with an ugly gray. There are three BMPs in the folder: the alpha, the color and something that looks like texture. Editing the texture one gave me nothing. Is it even possible to shorten the sleeves without editing the mesh?
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 8:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by An-Mochi
Alright, now for my help question:
I'm trying to shorten the sleeves on a shirt. I edit the alpha appropriately. The color dissappears, but replaces it with an ugly gray. There are three BMPs in the folder: the alpha, the color and something that looks like texture. Editing the texture one gave me nothing. Is it even possible to shorten the sleeves without editing the mesh?

No, that isn't possible. The ONLY way of shortening sleeves and such is modifying the clothes mesh. If it ony was that easy... XD
Test Subject
#48 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 8:33 AM
Another detailed tutorial. Thanks for writing these, they have helped me improve a lot (:
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 20th Jun 2010 at 7:22 PM Last edited by hatthecat123 : 21st Jun 2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: problem with tutorail need help
Thank you for the fab tutorial but when i black out bits of the alfa file the clothes texture goes and the sims look weird .
Field Researcher
#50 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 5:18 PM
Thank you Faylen!!!I love uuuuuuu!
Page 2 of 3