Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Oct 2023 at 12:04 AM
Default Family Tree Software
So, Plum Tree App is gone, and I am back to looking for a family tree solution for Sims. I briefly looked back at Family Echo, but then was reminded of what a godawful mess it made of my tree, and I don't want to go back. It needs to be something that can handle poly relationships, adoption, children with only one parent, or with a different set of biological parents versus actual parents in an attractive and non-confusing-looking way, and Plum Tree App was the only family tree software I ever found that could do that. Ideally it would be online, and bonus if you can upload GEDCOM or another similar file format and/or it has a free API, but I can deal with an offline app if needs be.

Does anyone have anything that works well for them?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 7th Oct 2023 at 1:25 AM
I haven't tried it yet but I've been looking at My Family Tree. Yellow Llama Co has a tutorial about how they use it to track their Sims (S4 but the principle is the same) and it does allow for complex and unusual families. According to the web site it also used GED files.

Yellow Llama Co's info is here

The Family Tree website is here
Forum Resident
#3 Old 7th Oct 2023 at 2:45 AM
Any good family tree software should be easily adaptable to Simming. I've experimented with several, and use Rootsmagic (currently on version 8) for serious genealogical work. But I have also used Family Tree Maker (legacy version, I think 6) and a couple of others.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Oct 2023 at 3:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by starfishpaws
I haven't tried it yet but I've been looking at My Family Tree. Yellow Llama Co has a tutorial about how they use it to track their Sims (S4 but the principle is the same) and it does allow for complex and unusual families. According to the web site it also used GED files.

Yellow Llama Co's info is here

The Family Tree website is here

I tried this out, and it seems to do the trick. I can have people with multiple current partners, children with more than two parents, biological versus adoptive versus guardian parents, etc. I did run into an issue where the sim's first attribute refused to save, but I just added a dummy first attribute and that seems to have gotten around the bug.
Scholar
#5 Old 7th Oct 2023 at 3:47 AM
tbh any data analyzer will work (even quite primitive spreadsheets, nowadays MS put its AI fingers in every hole imaginable, just type 'family tree' to the Excel's assistant and it will make the scheme for you).

I used to just type simple queries to the MySQL and generate reports dumped to xml which you can visualise in any way you wish. Never got hooked on any 'Family software' personally - they mostly uses too much of resources for not very impressive effect and are too restrictive by design (and developers' presupositions).

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Oct 2023 at 5:04 AM
Sure, I have a Notion spreadsheet for everything, the whole point is to get a visualization. If I could just visualize the data "any way that I wish" by extracting it from the spreadsheet then I would, but I don't design UIs and don't feel like learning how to solve tricky display issues in my free time. The idea is to find a program that has already solved those issues for me.
Theorist
#7 Old 7th Oct 2023 at 5:16 AM
did you ever see Bulbizarre's Access database It's a thing of beauty
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Oct 2023 at 5:51 AM
I have a database. I'm looking for a UI.
Scholar
#9 Old 7th Oct 2023 at 1:28 PM
Then @kestrellyn I am afraid you are kinda out of luck and doomed to use (proportionally for your needs) half-baked solutions.

Maybe these will have got at least some of your desired functionalities (I have never used them myself):
GPL only:
GenealogyJ https://sourceforge.net/projects/genj/ & its fork: Ancestris (GPL) https://en.ancestris.org/index_pl.html
HuMoGen: https://humogen.com/
GeneoTree: https://www.geneotree.com/index.php?ilang=en&imenu=1
LifeLines: would require some work https://lifelines.sourceforge.net/

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
#10 Old 7th Oct 2023 at 7:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat
did you ever see Bulbizarre's Access database It's a thing of beauty

For fudge's sake, I did not make it for family tree. It can track family relaitonships, but that's about it.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Theorist
#11 Old 7th Oct 2023 at 7:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
For fudge's sake, I did not make it for family tree. It can track family relaitonships, but that's about it.

... but it is a thing of beauty ... truly amazing ... you put a lot of hard work into that ...
Test Subject
#12 Old 29th Jan 2024 at 3:44 PM Last edited by France25 : 31st Jan 2024 at 2:41 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Maven
Any good family tree software should be easily adaptable to Simming. I've experimented with several, and use Rootsmagic (currently on version 8) for serious genealogical work. But I have also used Family Tree Maker (legacy version, I think 6) and a couple of others.

Hello. I really find this kind of software very useful. I recently read a wonderful guide. And if you want a break from the virtual world, here's a cool real-world hack. Have you ever tried iMessage on your Mac? This is a really cool thing! Set it up hassle-free with this handy guide: https://setapp.com/how-to/set-up-imessage-on-mac. Now, while my Sims chat, I carry on my real-life conversations just as animatedly. We welcome seamless messaging both in and out of the game!
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 19th Feb 2024 at 11:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
So, Plum Tree App is gone, and I am back to looking for a family tree solution for Sims. I briefly looked back at Family Echo, but then was reminded of what a godawful mess it made of my tree, and I don't want to go back. It needs to be something that can handle poly relationships, adoption, children with only one parent, or with a different set of biological parents versus actual parents in an attractive and non-confusing-looking way, and Plum Tree App was the only family tree software I ever found that could do that. Ideally it would be online, and bonus if you can upload GEDCOM or another similar file format and/or it has a free API, but I can deal with an offline app if needs be.

Does anyone have anything that works well for them?

Not necessarily an app, but I made a family free template using the in-game formats and extensive work with screenshotting and MS Paint. For the highest quality photographs I use Greenshot and take them using the TIFF format, and various icon packs to help differentiate or connect members who've married into bigger families. I'll post it here, just in case anyone is interested in taking and using it for themselves.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#14 Old 19th Feb 2024 at 10:07 PM
I use MyHeritage Family Tree Builder - it has easy data entry and makes good looking charts (freeware)