Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jan 2024 at 7:53 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default The game started malfunctioning, crashed, and now crashes at startup!
I was away from the laptop I play the sims on for a week. When I came back, I opened the game without downloading any mods. The family I loaded had some weird changes. Everyone in the household lost relationship with each other, they were 'strangers' but related, they were visible in the family tree. They also lost almost all relationships with sims outside of home. As for the husband and wife, they didn't even knew each other, but they were married in the family tree and had memories of each other. I 'fixed' it on Quick Relations and they gained memories again of each of meeting, being best friends and falling in love. The wife specifically had 'had three lovers at one' and same for best friends but the only lover was her husband. This is the point where I was annoyed and a little concerned. I thought that by fixing it on SimPE would be it. A day passed in the game and it crashed unexpectedly.

At this point I needed to go somewhere and didn't do anything until the next day a.k.a. today. Today, I downloaded a couple of dresses by Droopsi, some jeans, Chris Hatch's baby clothes mod and baby clothes, some tattoo boxes (I already had some and use them regularly). After that I opened the game and it crashed by the end of the first loading. I removed the mod and baby clothes. Same happened. I removed all new downloads. Same. I removed the ENTIRE downloads folder. SAME. What now? I can't believe this is happening. I was very careful with not corrupting my game, I didn't delete sims from the sim bin, didn't mess with NPC service sims.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 21st Jan 2024 at 8:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by moonlight__
I was away from the laptop I play the sims on for a week. When I came back, I opened the game without downloading any mods. The family I loaded had some weird changes. Everyone in the household lost relationship with each other, they were 'strangers' but related, they were visible in the family tree. They also lost almost all relationships with sims outside of home. As for the husband and wife, they didn't even knew each other, but they were married in the family tree and had memories of each other. I 'fixed' it on Quick Relations and they gained memories again of each of meeting, being best friends and falling in love. The wife specifically had 'had three lovers at one' and same for best friends but the only lover was her husband. This is the point where I was annoyed and a little concerned. I thought that by fixing it on SimPE would be it. A day passed in the game and it crashed unexpectedly.

At this point I needed to go somewhere and didn't do anything until the next day a.k.a. today. Today, I downloaded a couple of dresses by Droopsi, some jeans, Chris Hatch's baby clothes mod and baby clothes, some tattoo boxes (I already had some and use them regularly). After that I opened the game and it crashed by the end of the first loading. I removed the mod and baby clothes. Same happened. I removed all new downloads. Same. I removed the ENTIRE downloads folder. SAME. What now? I can't believe this is happening. I was very careful with not corrupting my game, I didn't delete sims from the sim bin, didn't mess with NPC service sims.

Just a P.S, deleting Sims from the Sim Bin is completely safe. Please watch this video if you haven't. I'm assuming by service sims you mean universal NPC's, like the Grim Reaper or the NPC remote control car, because service sims like repairmen, nannies, delivery Sims and other are complete Sims with character data and as safe as a Sim can get. Universal Sims on the other hand are the ones that shouldn't be messed with.

Are the Sims now in red aspiration and without an aspiration icon? Are they all adult males for no reason? Do they have no personality points? When you say "almost all" relationships, which relationships were kept? Sims with all these symptoms I listed have their Sim Description wiped. I'll need to see all possible things before coming to a conclusion.

As about the crashing, it can happen for NUMEROUS reasons. It could happen with mod conflicts but you said that even when you removed all recent downloads the crashing persisted. Can you provide more details of when and how the crashing happened? Did it happen when you tried loading the neighbourhood the Sim problems happened? Crashing of the lot can mean it's broken, you just move out the family, but I doubt that's the problem. You also said it crashed during early loading, so check if you did anything before other than adding the CC.

If it was a mod conflict, it would've happened immediately. Do you have OneDrive on? It could've messed with something. For your Sim problems, check in the same neighbourhood if other families have oddities too.

Cats are the cutest creatures. And the most stubborn.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 21st Jan 2024 at 9:22 PM
Crashing at startup without any CC usually is from other causes (with CC is somewhat rare, too - borked repo'd meshes can crash the game at startup, but I rarely see it with other items). If there's something going on with the relationships, it sounds more like something happened to your entire neighborhood/game, so I'd think there was something else going on than CC issues.

- game setup (like memory issues - check the ConfigLog file)
- OneDrive issues (or similar)
- bad cache files (delete before going ingame - more a solver for the game not starting, or crashing/misbehaving after messing around with CC files, though)
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Jan 2024 at 9:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FuryCat
Just a P.S, deleting Sims from the Sim Bin is completely safe. Please watch this video if you haven't. I'm assuming by service sims you mean universal NPC's, like the Grim Reaper or the NPC remote control car, because service sims like repairmen, nannies, delivery Sims and other are complete Sims with character data and as safe as a Sim can get. Universal Sims on the other hand are the ones that shouldn't be messed with.

Are the Sims now in red aspiration and without an aspiration icon? Are they all adult males for no reason? Do they have no personality points? When you say "almost all" relationships, which relationships were kept? Sims with all these symptoms I listed have their Sim Description wiped. I'll need to see all possible things before coming to a conclusion.

As about the crashing, it can happen for NUMEROUS reasons. It could happen with mod conflicts but you said that even when you removed all recent downloads the crashing persisted. Can you provide more details of when and how the crashing happened? Did it happen when you tried loading the neighbourhood the Sim problems happened? Crashing of the lot can mean it's broken, you just move out the family, but I doubt that's the problem. You also said it crashed during early loading, so check if you did anything before other than adding the CC.

If it was a mod conflict, it would've happened immediately. Do you have OneDrive on? It could've messed with something. For your Sim problems, check in the same neighbourhood if other families have oddities too.

Ohh, I remember reading a long time ago that it was unsafe to do that.

From what I noticed then, all of the sims in that household had a Family aspiration (two of four sims aren't supposed to have it) and their wants werent filled, one sim had only one want. For one of the sims, I noticed that his twin brother who doesn't live with them anymore remained his best friend, he has a 0 relationship score with his parents but he recognizes them to be related, they used to be best friends. He wasn't friends with his siblings but their relationship score wasn't 0 neither. His enemies and other best friends are also strangers.

Their ages are correct and days till the next stage, I don't remember their aspiration score but I think it was normal.

I just remembered that the family had a photoshoot I did a 100 times before when I entered the game, so it was 24 'hours' before the crash. That photoshoot happened when I played the game a week before, I snapped the pictures, half of them were using poseboxes and left. They were still posing when I entered the family but I reseted them and played. I don't know if that info was useful. The first crashing during gameplay happened on a normal morning after a day of playing that family. The night before the crash and same day of the photoshoot the male sim in question hooked up with a playable sim. I didn't use any mods, it was that regular friends to lovers to woohoo pipeline. The other sims did normal stuff, went to work, school, ate, slept. I think the game lagged a little more than usual.

The last big mod before this was InTeen BUT I played normally before all of this, so I don't see how that can be connected. InTeen is also pasted in a different location, so it's technically the only mood left and the Cameras mod which was installed a long time ago. I also have 4GB patch, modular stairs and use Graphics Rules Maker.

I would understand if the lot was corrupted and the game crashed when entering that family, but the game crashes on startup - first at the end of loading and now in the middle since I have removed CC.

I have OneDrive. Speaking ofmemory, my PC is full. Could that be the reason? I get a warning of the game possibly malfunctioning because of low memory, but that warning is happening since forever and my game worked completely fine for the entire time. Today I got a warning that it's completely full and I deleted some stuff. Should I free some space? i mean, I should do it regardless, but this time the sims being a one more reason for it.
Inventor
#5 Old 21st Jan 2024 at 10:22 PM
If your disk was full while the game was running, it might have failed to save a part of the neighborhood data. That is not something you can recover from.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Jan 2024 at 10:56 PM
Update: I cleared 4GB worth of files including some CC and it crashes at the end of startup.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Jan 2024 at 11:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonasn
If your disk was full while the game was running, it might have failed to save a part of the neighborhood data. That is not something you can recover from.

Is there a way to revert back to past? Save it in any way? I freed some of the memory and it still crashes. Why doesn't the rest of the Sims work if the neighboring data is messed up?
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Jan 2024 at 11:08 PM
Update: I went to SimPE then to my Neighborhood I play then to Sim Surgery and Sim Browser and this is what it got.

Then I went to Belladonna Cove, a Neighborhood I never played, and everything looks normal.

So obviously the Neighborhood is fu*ked. But what about the entire game? I'll try moving Riverblossom Hills from the Neighborhoods folder.

OH MY GOD IT WORKS! But my sims . Oh well, I guess i'll create a new Riverblossom Hills with same Sims, tweak their memories, days till next life stage, relationship, I have photos and hope for the best.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#9 Old 21st Jan 2024 at 11:43 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 22nd Jan 2024 at 12:45 AM.
Speaking ofmemory, my PC is full. Could that be the reason? I get a warning of the game possibly malfunctioning because of low memory, but that warning is happening since forever and my game worked completely fine for the entire time. Today I got a warning that it's completely full and I deleted some stuff. Should I free some space? i mean, I should do it regardless, but this time the sims being a one more reason for it.

Not enough space to save definitely will be a problem with the game. You need some space for the game to run smoothly and be able to save properly, or you'll get that warning (I'd say it's high-risk to even run the game if you're below 10 GB on the drive your game is saving to, especially if you're also dependent on VRAM from the drive for texture memory. If you're running Win10/11, probably not a good idea to dip below 20 GB, just to be on the safe side - and preferably keep it well above that, too).

I had some similar issues with saving (not with the game, but with a few other programs that needed some - but it can definitely mess up the saving process) when I started running out of space on my previous laptop. Programs refused to save, which was a real annoyance. Had to transfer files over to an external harddrive.

If you're using a SSD you may want more available space, as (after what I've read, anyway), they perform best if they're not almost full.

If the disk is full and your game is trying to load (which is a heavy process, especially with CC), save the game, or the disk is trying to access VRAM, it's very likely that's why your game is crashing because of one or several of those things.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 22nd Jan 2024 at 12:34 AM

This is what caused my neighbourhood Springwater to die. I was doing something in the background that resulted in a lot of enormous temporary files and the disk filling up. I didn't realize until I tried to save and the game just froze instead.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Inventor
#11 Old 22nd Jan 2024 at 12:44 AM
You could fill up a disk completely with files. It would get slower as it neared to being full. But if you don't know computers well, and have not managed tight disk partitions in the past, you'll be surprised how other unrelated programs can grow temporary files on the system drive and unexpectedly fill it. It's no longer standard practice to keep system, documents and temp files separate. That is why people recommend to leave spare capacity.

The portion the data that was not saved isn't easy to predict. It's your random corruption.

I had a corruption long time ago when I invited one of those special NPCs. My programs disk was full, and 100 MB was a significant amout of space. It could not save the updated objects package.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 22nd Jan 2024 at 11:37 AM
OH MY GOD IT WORKS! But my sims . Oh well, I guess i'll create a new Riverblossom Hills with same Sims, tweak their memories, days till next life stage, relationship, I have photos and hope for the best.

Remember to keep backups from now on!

I had a corruption long time ago when I invited one of those special NPCs. My programs disk was full, and 100 MB was a significant amout of space. It could not save the updated objects package.

I thought that would save you from corruption if it couldn't save a new objects.package, seeing as it isn't supposed to be touched.
Instructor
#13 Old 22nd Jan 2024 at 11:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Remember to keep backups from now on!

I thought that would save you from corruption if it couldn't save a new objects.package, seeing as it isn't supposed to be touched.

I think yeah.

Instructor
#14 Old 22nd Jan 2024 at 4:28 PM
Ohh, I remember reading a long time ago that it was unsafe to do that.

From what I noticed then, all of the sims in that household had a Family aspiration (two of four sims aren't supposed to have it) and their wants werent filled, one sim had only one want. For one of the sims, I noticed that his twin brother who doesn't live with them anymore remained his best friend, he has a 0 relationship score with his parents but he recognizes them to be related, they used to be best friends. He wasn't friends with his siblings but their relationship score wasn't 0 neither. His enemies and other best friends are also strangers.

Their ages are correct and days till the next stage, I don't remember their aspiration score but I think it was normal.

I just remembered that the family had a photoshoot I did a 100 times before when I entered the game, so it was 24 'hours' before the crash. That photoshoot happened when I played the game a week before, I snapped the pictures, half of them were using poseboxes and left. They were still posing when I entered the family but I reseted them and played. I don't know if that info was useful. The first crashing during gameplay happened on a normal morning after a day of playing that family. The night before the crash and same day of the photoshoot the male sim in question hooked up with a playable sim. I didn't use any mods, it was that regular friends to lovers to woohoo pipeline. The other sims did normal stuff, went to work, school, ate, slept. I think the game lagged a little more than usual.

The last big mod before this was InTeen BUT I played normally before all of this, so I don't see how that can be connected. InTeen is also pasted in a different location, so it's technically the only mood left and the Cameras mod which was installed a long time ago. I also have 4GB patch, modular stairs and use Graphics Rules Maker.

I would understand if the lot was corrupted and the game crashed when entering that family, but the game crashes on startup - first at the end of loading and now in the middle since I have removed CC.

I have OneDrive. Speaking ofmemory, my PC is full. Could that be the reason? I get a warning of the game possibly malfunctioning because of low memory, but that warning is happening since forever and my game worked completely fine for the entire time. Today I got a warning that it's completely full and I deleted some stuff. Should I free some space? i mean, I should do it regardless, but this time the sims being a one more reason for it.

Do you have any backup of your neighbourhood? You can uninstall your game, free some space and then reinstall and put your neighbourhood backup in. If you don't have any backups, there isn't anything you can do, I'm afraid.

Mad Poster
#15 Old 22nd Jan 2024 at 5:04 PM
What kind of OS are you running?

If you're using Windows you should clean up your drive, by using a defragmenting program, and CCleaner as well. Put any programs/files you aren't using on disks or another drive. That should free up some space.

Auslogic has an excellent free program that will defragment your drive: https://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/

You should also get a registry cleaner because programs do leave behind all kinds of debris.

If your game isn't backed up, there's not much you can do to save it now except to start over and make back ups from now on.

Also, make sure you have enough memory to run the game.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#16 Old 22nd Jan 2024 at 5:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
What kind of OS are you running?

If you're using Windows you should clean up your drive, by using a defragmenting program, and CCleaner as well.

Defragmentation or optimization depends on whether it's a SSD or HDD, though. Windows should detect what kind of disc it is automatically, and run the appropriate cycle.
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 23rd Jan 2024 at 6:59 PM
Do you have any backup of your neighbourhood? You can uninstall your game, free some space and then reinstall and put your neighbourhood backup in. If you don't have any backups, there isn't anything you can do, I'm afraid.

No, I don't. I used to back up in 2017ish, then I played other sims games then no sims at all, since I became a simmer of 2 again a couple of years ago I completely forgot about that in case of emergency stuff. You know what? My neighborhood was too crowded and too entangled anyway cause I thought that deleting sims causes corruption.

By the way, I have this issue for a very long time. Why can't SimPE change my sims's skintones via sim surgery? Everything else works like a charm, I just can't seem to copy their skintones.
Instructor
Original Poster
#18 Old 23rd Jan 2024 at 7:01 PM
Instructor
#19 Old 23rd Jan 2024 at 7:18 PM
No, I don't. I used to back up in 2017ish, then I played other sims games then no sims at all, since I became a simmer of 2 again a couple of years ago I completely forgot about that in case of emergency stuff. You know what? My neighborhood was too crowded and too entangled anyway cause I thought that deleting sims causes corruption.

By the way, I have this issue for a very long time. Why can't SimPE change my sims's skintones via sim surgery? Everything else works like a charm, I just can't seem to copy their skintones.

Deleting Sims causes corruption ONLY if you delete them from the characters folder in your neighbourhood's files: A.K.A what you didn't do.
Tip for future neighbourhoods: If you want to get rid of a Sim because it's getting a bit crowded, just kill them! Make up a story for their death. You can use Rodney's Death Creator or by natural means. It's all good.

As about the SimPE skintone issue with SimSurgery, what are you doing and it doesn't work? That sounds weird.

Instructor
Original Poster
#20 Old 23rd Jan 2024 at 8:28 PM
Deleting Sims causes corruption ONLY if you delete them from the characters folder in your neighbourhood's files: A.K.A what you didn't do.
Tip for future neighbourhoods: If you want to get rid of a Sim because it's getting a bit crowded, just kill them! Make up a story for their death. You can use Rodney's Death Creator or by natural means. It's all good.

As about the SimPE skintone issue with SimSurgery, what are you doing and it doesn't work? That sounds weird.

I did kill sims in the past, but aren't they still there, just deceased?

Well, like for faces, makeup and eyes, I select a patient and an archetype. Then I select Skintone Only, then From Archetype and I get an error window. When I select one of default skintones I don't have that issue, but I don't have 30 diverse custom skintones only to use 4 default replacement skintones.
Screenshots
Instructor
#21 Old 24th Jan 2024 at 2:26 PM
I did kill sims in the past, but aren't they still there, just deceased?

Well, like for faces, makeup and eyes, I select a patient and an archetype. Then I select Skintone Only, then From Archetype and I get an error window. When I select one of default skintones I don't have that issue, but I don't have 30 diverse custom skintones only to use 4 default replacement skintones.

Yeah, they are there, but deceased. It only works if you're getting sick of seeing so many Sims in the neighbourhood view, sadly...
Honestly, I'll try to find what the SimSurgery issue is. I'm not the best at SimPE (I have only made careers and stuff) so I'll try researching it.

Mad Poster
#22 Old 24th Jan 2024 at 3:04 PM
You can try this method instead of using an archetype (as long as you know which skin you want to use):
http://www.insimenator.org/index.php?topic=47368.0

There's another tutorial here
https://dreadpirate.tumblr.com/post...-sims-eye-color
(shown for eyes, but same method for skin, just copy the proper values)

(Linking both because there were extra pictures in the first one, but an easier explanation in the second one)
Instructor
Original Poster
#23 Old 24th Jan 2024 at 8:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
You can try this method instead of using an archetype (as long as you know which skin you want to use):
http://www.insimenator.org/index.php?topic=47368.0

There's another tutorial here
https://dreadpirate.tumblr.com/post...-sims-eye-color
(shown for eyes, but same method for skin, just copy the proper values)

(Linking both because there were extra pictures in the first one, but an easier explanation in the second one)

Thank you so much and thank you all here for helping me!!!