Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jan 2024 at 7:44 PM
Default Specific color in an action set not running any color
Sorry to be back posting, but I ran into another problem. I'm using nyren's vaporwave colors. The first two went fine and I had a bit trouble with the third one, but I figured it out. The fourth one haruna (yellow color) doesn't run any color at all. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do something besides making a background copy (A pop up message appear: background copy doesn't exist, so I made one and the pop up goes away). I tried a few of the other colors and the only other color it does this to is yamashiro. The other colors work fine.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Jan 2024 at 8:21 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 30th Jan 2024 at 8:31 AM.
Which program are you using? Could be an issue if you're using something else than Photoshop (you weren't too clear in the other topic, and mentioned at least a couple or so programs).

I've tried the actions, and they all seem to run fine as long as there's one collapsed/locked background layer named "Background", and no extra layers. If there are any extra layers, I get the popup message about the "background copy doesn't exist". Most likely because the action tries to start out with the wrong layer (Again, could also be an issue with a program other than Photoshop, or one not based on Photoshop functions).

A few of them manage to run with extra layers present, but several seem to have troubles.

So you'll want to start out with one background layer named "Background", no other layers.

If you have issues with making a background layer, and you're using a program with similar functions to Photoshop, try "Layer --> Flatten image" (from the menu) first. This flattens the image to a background image, fixes the name, and removes all the layers (at least it does in Photoshop).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Jan 2024 at 11:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Which program are you using? Could be an issue if you're using something else than Photoshop (you weren't too clear in the other topic, and mentioned at least a couple or so programs).

I've tried the actions, and they all seem to run fine as long as there's one collapsed/locked background layer named "Background", and no extra layers. If there are any extra layers, I get the popup message about the "background copy doesn't exist". Most likely because the action tries to start out with the wrong layer (Again, could also be an issue with a program other than Photoshop, or one not based on Photoshop functions).

A few of them manage to run with extra layers present, but several seem to have troubles.

So you'll want to start out with one background layer named "Background", no other layers.

If you have issues with making a background layer, and you're using a program with similar functions to Photoshop, try "Layer --> Flatten image" (from the menu) first. This flattens the image to a background image, fixes the name, and removes all the layers (at least it does in Photoshop).

Sorry for the late response. I'm using photopea which is like a free web version. I think I tried locking the background, but that didn't work (I think it's the lock icon). I'll tried flattening the image. One thing I forgot to mention is that when I run the action I get a new adjustment layer. It looks like it's a step in the those two color actions, but they don't finished all the way. They just stopped at new adjustment layer.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 30th Jan 2024 at 2:44 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 30th Jan 2024 at 2:57 PM.
Manually locking the background layer didn't work for me either. Only the "flatten layer" option (it added a lock, too) made the actual background layer the majority of the actions seemed to recognize.

I can't say for sure whether the actions made for CS5 are fully compatible with Photopea. Looks like it can run actions from Photoshop, but it's not sure it can run all kinds of actions, especially if there are special types of layers.

---

If you can't figure it out, there are other ways to use colors from swatches without running actions. You can use the color as a color layer, and the greytone image as an overlay with some sort of overlay style (or multiple, whichever looks best - Multiply, Overlay, Soft Light, Linear Burn, etc.).

There's plenty tutorials on this method (I've got one here and an addon here), if you need that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Jan 2024 at 3:27 PM Last edited by blooddiamondrose2 : 30th Jan 2024 at 3:54 PM.
Manually locking the background layer didn't work for me either. Only the "flatten layer" option (it added a lock, too) made the actual background layer the majority of the actions seemed to recognize.

I can't say for sure whether the actions made for CS5 are fully compatible with Photopea. Looks like it can run actions from Photoshop, but it's not sure it can run all kinds of actions, especially if there are special types of layers.

---

If you can't figure it out, there are other ways to use colors from swatches without running actions. You can use the color as a color layer, and the greytone image as an overlay with some sort of overlay style (or multiple, whichever looks best - Multiply, Overlay, Soft Light, Linear Burn, etc.).

There's plenty tutorials on this method (I've got one here and an addon here), if you need that.

Thank you for the links. I did notice when turning new adjustment layer off runs the color action yamashiro fine. Haruna comes out like an extremely white with a bit of a yellow tint. Hopefully the tutorials work.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Feb 2024 at 12:48 AM

---

You were right it was photopea. I asked on garden of shadows for a second opinion and photopea doesn't read all the steps. Digi is working on converting the color actions to work with photopea. Here's a link if anyone needs them: https://simfileshare.net/folder/209665/
It doesn't have many as it's still being worked on.

Thank you again for the tutorial it'll be helpful with recoloring clothes and adding shadows.