Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Zombie Coder
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jun 2005 at 6:16 PM Last edited by DarkMatter : 17th Jun 2005 at 5:12 AM.
Turorial Requests for DatGen
This thread is for tutorial requests for DatGen. DatGen is a very flexible and powerful modding tool, and while most people use it for its easy-to-use plugins, DatGen can do much, much more with some less-known plugins. DatGen edits nearly every file type in the game, and if something needs to be done, DatGen can probably do it.

So, if you have a specific task you would like to do, or if you would like to learn how to use a particular plugin better, just ask. We'll add it to our list based on how many people need information on that particular task.

You can find all of DatGen's tutorials at http://www.datgen.info/tutorials/default.aspx.

>>> Microsoft .NET v1.1 - REQUIRED <<<

To run DatGen, you must have the Microsoft .NET v1.1 framework installed. This can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...;displaylang=en. If you do not have the framework installed, you'll get error messages like "Application Fault" or "Application Error", and DatGen will not run.

>>> !! DirectX 9 April 2005 Update !! <<<

The latest DatGen has several plugins that use DirextX 9 to display 3D previews and the like. You MUST have the April 2005 update to DX9 for these plugins to work, and to prevent strange behavior with DatGen. The April 2005 Update is not the same as DX9, or the DX9c revision. You MUST download the April 2005 update, not the DX9c update, or any update off of the Windows Update site. You can get the April 2005 DX9 Update here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 9:49 AM
I am not sure if a tutorial would be needed but if I can have just a few explanations I would be very pleased

When I edit a texture file (of a skin or/and of an object) where can I find the name of the mesh file it is related to ? I badly need to sort out my skins downloads because they slow down my game so much. I got rid of some meshes but I for sure have texture files with no mesh now and I just don't know how to find them.

Thank you
Instructor
#3 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 10:03 AM
I still have to download DatGen, but I assume there is a sim browser; from there, are we able to get to all the sims data? I mean, in my version of SimPE, the sim browser allows to change the aspirations, skills and such, but when I want to modify the height of a sim (and I do that a lot), I have to search the whole sims folder one by one because the file names are just numbers... Hum, I hope I don't explain this too bad.
Zombie Coder
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 8:17 PM
Hi Azureale. There is a plugin for DatGen called the SceneGraph Browser, which lets you browse the files that contain textures and meshes, and preview their content. It won't do exactly what you need it to at the moment, but I can make a small update that will let you find out which .package a file is contained in. The SceneGraph browser will let you preview the mesh fully textured, which should speed up your process.

Marvine, DatGen has a very useful plugin called CHARrED that lets you browse the sims in each neighborhood, and load one sim at a time to view and edit details. At the moment it doesn't let you edit the height, but that can quickly be added.

I've edited the main post with a link to DatGen's tutorials site. A basic introductory tutorial for CHARrED has just been added, which should get new users off the ground. More features are in development right now, and in a week or so, another version of CHARrED will be uploaded. We'll try to add height editing to it.
Instructor
#5 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 8:26 PM
DarkMatter, thanks for your explanations, and the link for the tutorials! This sounds really promising.

The main reason with adjusting the height is that it makes quickly different bodytypes, I insisted on this when I posted a muscular mesh and people told me it worked great...
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 9:35 PM
HELP i wnat uni meshes w/o having to buy it and this stupid dtagen wont work well its not stupid but w/e im mad!
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 13th Jun 2005 at 12:33 PM
Thank you DarkMatter. I guess it will take some time before I can handle that program, for the moment I can't even find the plugins ! lol

Does it matter if my game isn't in english and isn't installed on C: ?
Zombie Coder
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Jun 2005 at 3:00 AM
Azureale, it shouldn't matter where the game is installed. Sometimes, though, language causes problems with DatGen. If you run into a bug, and it has to do with loading a file, let me know what the error is, and where the file really is, vs. where DatGen thinks it is.

newto, to get Uni meshes, you'll need to buy Uni. No way around that. As for DatGen, read the tutorials first, to familiarize yourself with how it works.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 15th Jun 2005 at 11:30 PM
Darkmatter, I'm real sorry to bother you, but I have downloaded and re-downloaded and CharRed does not show up. I would really like to use this program, but your tutorial doesn't help much when I can't even get the first step done. Any clue as to why this is happening? I do have DirectX9. Thank you.
Zombie Coder
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Jun 2005 at 11:32 PM
To clarify, you don't just have to have DX9. You have to have the April 2005 UPDATE to DX9. If you don't have the update, but do have DX9, DatGen won't load all the plugins. Make sure you get the update.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 16th Jun 2005 at 12:03 AM Last edited by nancyw41 : 16th Jun 2005 at 12:17 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by DarkMatter
To clarify, you don't just have to have DX9. You have to have the April 2005 UPDATE to DX9. If you don't have the update, but do have DX9, DatGen won't load all the plugins. Make sure you get the update.

I thought I had the update, but I guess I didn't. Everything shows up now. Thank you for your response. And thanks for your dedication and hard work.

Just a regular person
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 20th Jun 2005 at 1:18 PM Last edited by Azureale : 22nd Jun 2005 at 3:37 PM. Reason: further testing
Darkmatter, I think DatGen (last debug version downloaded today) gets confused because my game isn't called "The Sims 2" (in french it is "Les Sims 2")
If I try to lauch a plugin I get this error (and then the program gets stucked) :

Type: DirectoryNotFoundException

Message: Impossible de trouver une partie du chemin d'accès "D:\Azureale\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads\".
which means that it is impossible to find the path.

If I change the folder name into "The Sims 2" I can run the donwload maid plugin fine (I am going to explore it right away it looks fantastic ! thank you !). But if there is a file I can edit somewhere in order to keep the french name and use Datgen together it would be much better.

Well, after further testing, it doesn't run that fine if I change "Les Sims 2" to "The Sims 2" :weep: . Here are different messages I can have when I launch a plugin :
Screenshots
Test Subject
#13 Old 22nd Jun 2005 at 12:20 AM
Need help to locate file names
Hi, Darkmatter
I'm running Datgen under portuguese version of TS2 and it seems to work just fine, but I need help here:
I have placed clothing files with missing meshes in a Collection in order to try to locate them easier outside the game.
I have opened the Collection with Datgen and I have all the skin files in it.
My problem is to see/get the names of the files. Can I do it with Datgen? If so where shall I look? I'm stucked here... (the only idea I have is to look in S2PCI through the file ID, but I hope there's a better way...)
Thanks
Zombie Coder
Original Poster
#14 Old 24th Jun 2005 at 11:42 PM
Hi Azureale. Thanks for the bug reports. I need a bit of translation, though. What does this mean:

Impossible d'acceder a un fichier ferme.

Is it saying the file doesn't exist, or that it can't be opened?

Neblina, I'm not sure what you mean by placing files in a collection. Are you referring to a file group? Anyway, with DatGen, you can open multiple .package files at once if you wish. Just open each one individually, or select them all, and drag them into the DatGen window, however you want to do it. When the files load, you will see each one listed by name in the File Browser, in the namespace area (read the introduction to datgen tutorial to learn what the different parts of datgen's screen are...www.datgen.info/tutorials/datgen_tutorial1.aspx).
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 25th Jun 2005 at 12:17 PM
Hi Azureale. Thanks for the bug reports. I need a bit of translation, though. What does this mean:

Impossible d'acceder a un fichier ferme.

Is it saying the file doesn't exist, or that it can't be opened?

Oh yes sorry
It means the file can't be opened. The strange thing about it is that it's kind of random, I mean its doesn't concern the same file each time I run the download maid plugin.

I hope your hardware problems are not to bad !
Zombie Coder
Original Poster
#16 Old 17th Aug 2005 at 9:41 PM
Any tutorial requests for DatGen can now be made through the web site itself. I've written a system for users to request tutorials, and they are listed at the bottom of the page. As tutorial are written, they will be removed from the requests list.

http://www.datgen.info/tutorials/default.aspx
Instructor
#17 Old 14th Nov 2005 at 6:46 PM
Quote:
Categorizing Hairtones
Hairtones are a very popular custom content item for Sims 2, but are also one of the more unruley things to deal with. BodyShop's categorization and editing capabilities are very limited, exposing only a fraction of details about hairtones (and skins in general). One of the primary areas of frusteration with content users is the lack of proper genetic support in custom hairtones. The hairtone categorizing tool in Skin Manager aims to make it quick and easy to change what color category your hairtones appear in, as well as make it easy to properly group multiple colors of a single hair style into a family, allowing full genetic propogation of that hair style to your sims offspring. This tool, while fairly strait forward, has enough options to warrant its own tutorial as well. Keep an eye out for the full rundown on how to use the Hairtone Categorization tool soon.

I, and a few others that I know of, would really like to get ahold of the upcoming tutorial mentioned above.

Melissa
Test Subject
#18 Old 15th Nov 2005 at 9:13 AM
hi i'm using a public computer in the hotel i'm staying in as of hurricane katrina and i can't unblock their spyware to validate the software can some one please upload the directx for me please i have my computer updated with directx9c from when i had the internet and you guys say it won't work with that one right
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 4th Jan 2006 at 11:57 AM
does this tool make the whole prosses or only till it exports the obj.file?? cause it would be veeeeeery very nice if you could manage it that i can complete make a mesh with that tool...you know what i mean?? so that i have an working mesh at the end only by using this tool..cause SimPE doesn't work for me and when i import my meshes into bodyshop they are most damaged or haven't changed...:/
Test Subject
#20 Old 20th Sep 2006 at 5:20 AM
How do I remove this datgen program? I don't like it, don't want to use it anymore and don't want it in my computer. There is no uninstall file.
Part-time Hermit
#21 Old 20th Sep 2006 at 5:35 AM
Did you install an EXE version, or something you manually extracted from a zip or RAR?
Test Subject
#22 Old 21st Jun 2007 at 2:57 AM
Default How to find datgen in 2007
HOW TO FIND DATGEN in 2007

You can find all of DatGen's tutorials at http://www.datgen.info/tutorials/default.aspx.

www.datgen.info on June 19th 2005
and of course the direct link to DatGen v0.7.8 Tutorials

Download DATGEN RELEASE AT The Sims Resource: Program Database, Page 1
Versions available are...
Datgen v0.7.8 +
DatGen v0.7.7, DatGen v0.7.6, DatGen v0.7.5, DatGen Development Version, DatGen 0.7.4, DatGen 0.7.3 or the original datgen.
You don't need to login to download these files !

The most recent version of DatGen was 0.7.12 which I can't seem to locate.
actually looking at his downloads page there was a DatGen 0.7.13 released 10/03/2005

View the complete history of datgen on the wayback machine.
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.datgen.info

And LOL has it been that long since I started modding as datgen is what I use to use for sims 2, and whole range of programs for sims 1.

Finially things are getting setup.
eMail me [email protected]
or visit RepublicOfTheSims.com or SimsSecretSociety.com for my upcoming line of stuff.
Sockpuppet
#23 Old 5th Jul 2008 at 11:56 PM