Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Mar 2019 at 12:44 PM
Default Internets Turns 30 Today
Yup. The interbutt is that old. Thirty years. 'Member the days when everyone was scared of the internet and chatrooms and such, and it'd take forever to download a megabyte, and you could only spend time online at night unless your family was rich and either could afford a second line or a DSL? And of course all those obnoxiously colourful websites with a bazillion obnoxious animated gifs and blinky text... we all did that back in the days.
Advertisement
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#2 Old 12th Mar 2019 at 1:32 PM
Well, the internet as we know it ( www and all that) may be that young. But in reality the internet is about as old as I am.

So. Older than dirt. Ok, ok, ok. Not THAT old (both me and the internet) but the ability to get "online" has been around since I was still a toddler. Mid to late 60's. It just wasn't available for everyone.

I DO remember when the "world wide web" was... born though.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Mar 2019 at 2:31 PM
I see. Yup. Heard about those old timey bulletin board systems and such. What was the old-timey internet like back in the 60's?

You sure learn new things every day. I mean, 3D computer animation was invented back when Cass Elliot, Elvis Presley, and all four Beatles were still around. Back when you could still buy a pack of smokes from a vending machine, and back when Nixon was still president, and back when we were still involved in the Vietnam War. And millions of Cambodians were still blissfully unaware of the horrors they would soon face and few would survive. And Korn frontman Jon Davis is OLDER than 3D computer animation.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 12th Mar 2019 at 2:53 PM
Really? In 1981 I was called to a meeting with all the other grad students. Our university was going to make a usenet post - I guess to sci.physics, discussing Dr. Carpenter's research. I didn't give a flying fig about Carpenter's stupid research but that was beside the point: it would have our universities as the originating org so we all were asked for our input. You can see that back then, post were a lot more intelligent.
Usenet was very new then, less than a year old. I guess the usenet is older than the internet?

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Mar 2019 at 5:19 PM
Alchemist
#6 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 1:52 PM

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#7 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 5:43 PM
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 7:27 PM
OMG Johnny you found my web site!
Instructor
#9 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 7:33 PM
i wasn't even born when world wide web existed, the first computer i got was when i was 7 back in 2004 when i just went to school for the first time
but i had a very old computer with no wifi, or atleast when internet kept shutting down and saying i had no internet connections or something

i remember those times i was sad and just played pinball or painted something to save it up on my computer
back by then youtube didn't even existed, and my computer kept shutting out, i had to put the little button and then to the bigger button above the little bottle
that was with the windows millenium

windows XP was better because the computer didn't shut down everytime i was doing something, like playing mario or painted something or even playing pinball, i miss those times
but when the later window came i kind of stopped painting something on computer, because i couldn't saved it up or something, back to when i was a child i also saved up the imagines on google so the computer became very slowly on windows XP (i saved pictures of sailor moon, pokemon and other anime one's as a kid)

and even though i have facebook and youtube mostly, i hate social media now for some point even though i always use them

edit: youtube existed back in 2005 but i didn't discovered that website untill september 2006 when i wanna knew how to type pokemon, but instead of that i typed pokimon, oops
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th Mar 2019 at 11:44 AM
I feel so old. I was involved in a bunch of stupid flame wars with the Sonic and furry fandoms back when you got your first computer.
Alchemist
#11 Old 16th Mar 2019 at 1:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
OMG Johnny you found my web site!

Oh! Ehhrm, sorry. Must be a little awkward I guess

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#12 Old 16th Mar 2019 at 1:56 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Mar 2019 at 2:09 PM.
I'm old enough to remember dial-up internet (the type where you paid per minute and got bills for on your landline phone bill). My family shared two different computers until I moved out, and both of them were on the landline (the first one I played SimTown on, the last one was just strong enough to run TS1). I didn't get my first personal laptop until I was around 17-18. It didn't have internet at first, because back then wifi was still in its infancy most places. I lived in the middle of nowhere, and the closest internet connnection was at school (unsure if there was wifi, but if so it didn't reach all the way to my cabin), so if I downloaded something I had to rely on USB sticks (I think I had one with with around 512 MB at first). Didn't get wifi until I moved to my next place a year or so later.

It's weird to think the internet is about as old as I am...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 16th Mar 2019 at 8:16 PM
And as for the silliness of fan websites, well, some websites were cringy - especially the ones made back in the days of free website services.
#14 Old 16th Mar 2019 at 8:38 PM
The internet's 30? I mean, I know it's been around since before I was born, but I didn't realize it was THAT old.

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 17th Mar 2019 at 12:30 AM
Instructor
#16 Old 28th Mar 2019 at 12:49 AM
i remember which websites i discovered first and both of them was a dutch website and 1 of them don't exist anymore

then i discovered altavista, google and not that long later youtube, however altavista don't exist anymore since 2012/2013
but i looked at the imagines and GIF mostly and saved it up on my very old computer which got away long time ago

i always use laptops now since i got it once 3 days before my 15th birthday, i'm gonna be 22 in less then 2 months now,
i got a new one last year, and that's a good thing because my older laptop is gonna get slower and slower now a days, and because of spotify the laptop freezes most of the times (i already figured it out after i deleted spotify)

geez i have my laptop for almost 7 years now
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 28th Mar 2019 at 3:03 AM
I remember when AOL was Apple Online, and it was dial up. I remember when facebook first started I got an invitation cuz I was a student, and I looked at it and said "this will never replace My Space". Or Google's blank page - that will never replace Yahoo as a search engine.
And my first "Computer" was this Sinclair ZX80 which had an 8 bit Z80 microprocessor, which used the Intel 8080 instruction set as a subset of it's instructions. I bought a casset tape recorder for storage memory. If I was lucky, I could type in a few lines of code before it overheated and shut down. (piece of junk!!!)
Screenshots

Sims are better than us.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 29th Mar 2019 at 3:11 PM
I remember some sort of "internet" type system back in the early 80s, when I was put into a high school computer class because I was literally disrupting the 3rd grade class I was in due to extreme boredom. It wasn't world-wide, that's for sure, and most of the screens were either bright green or that pukey orange color, or white. Of course, I was in a podunk redneck two-cow town, so.... when we got color monitors in '84, it was sooooo fancy. XD I remember writing crappy unicorn fanfic on it or writing weird code in BASIC to get the screen to do a program that made it look like a Monet painting. So yeah, old person here.

Then since my parents were computerphobic, no computers for a very long time in the household. In fact, when I moved out was when I got my first, and it was a Crapintosh...er.. yeah. I still have it, using it as a monitor stand now. Yes, it boots up. Whoppin 48 MEGS of RAM. I got into ICQ chat, Yahoo!Chat and some Napoleonic History forums in '96- '98 or something like that. So far back I have trouble remembering. I wanted to get the Sims but it wasn't out for Mac yet. Then I got a PC instead in a couple of years and the rest is ancient history.

But the "The WWW" turning 30... I feel old. So old.

Dead Ringers
Discord: RedBaroness13
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 30th Mar 2019 at 2:53 AM
Apparently Tim Berners-Lee, the creator of the World Wide Web, lived/lives in my hometown. My 11th grade history teacher mentioned teaching his daughter before and seeing him at parent-teacher conferences.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 5:23 AM
Remember the old Shareware bulletin board systems? Man I wish I could have gotten onto a bulletin board system, but back then my mother was so internetophobic because she thought that I could get snatched away by a stranger just from using a BBS. We didn't have a consistent connection until around like... 2004 or 2005 I think. I was still able to acquire quite a few programs like Photoshop on a slow-as-molasses connection (Yes I did have the kleptomaniac trait back then yupyup).