Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Aug 2009 at 8:05 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 21st Feb 2010 at 1:50 AM.
Default [Tutorial] Changing Pattern Categories
This is just a small how-to about changing the category of patterns. For those who create patterns, you may be going, "doh, do it when you create it". But some (me) who don't create patterns and just want to change a pattern to a category that fits more with your game or style of playing, then hopefully you find this useful. This is based on custom .package files, not the default patterns.

If you have sims3packs you would like to recategorize, you can either convert them to package files using the info here. If already installed, you can try and find it in C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\DCBackup and change it.

You have the following choices for categories in the game:
  • Fabric
  • Weave_Wicker
  • Plastic_Rubber
  • Tile_Mosaic
  • Abstract
  • Metal
  • Miscellaneous
  • Carpet_Rug
  • Paint
  • Theme
  • Wood
  • Leather_Fur
  • Geometric
  • Masonry
  • Rock_Stone

I am using the application Postal , since it is available for OSX users as well as Windows users. If you need help with installation, usage, or errors, please see the Postal thread.

I put the patterns I would like to change on my desktop, since I find it the easiest place to navigate to and find the package.

1. Open Postal, then go to File/Open, and select the pattern you would like to change.
2. Double click the Pattern List xml line (see img.#1)
3. Double Click the name inside the quotes in the bottom (see img.#2).
4. Replace with the category from the list above. Make sure to leave the quotes around the name, and make sure to capitalize and use the underscores.
4. Commit (see img.#3)
5. File/Save As - Save over the existing or save as a new file name.

Screenshots
8 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Eminence Grise
#2 Old 14th Aug 2009 at 6:35 AM
Nice tut HL I assume from your discussion that the method only works for custom patterns, right? Might want to make that explicit.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Aug 2009 at 2:51 PM
Thanks Srikandi. This can be done with sims3pack patterns and store patterns, but it requires extracting them first. Can I add how to do that? Or is that now allowed?
Eminence Grise
#4 Old 15th Aug 2009 at 1:05 AM Last edited by Srikandi : 15th Aug 2009 at 1:18 AM.
There's no issue in discussing conversion of sims3pack files to .package. We have the instructions in our wiki, although the links to the tools mentioned there are currently broken (working on fixing this), because of the end of Sims3Tools. Method number 1 involves no tools though: http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...Pack_to_Package

You're correct that we don't support conversion of store content here.

What I was clarifying was that it does NOT apply to the built-in patterns, right? Those are the ones IMO that most need reclassifying And yes, they could of course be extracted and reclassified by your method... however, I for one would not want to put an override package for every single pattern in the game in my downloads folder, just to get the reclassification. Wonder if there's a slimmer way to do it.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#5 Old 15th Aug 2009 at 1:55 AM
You don't need to extract every single pattern and re-do them. There is a master list of patterns you can change

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Aug 2009 at 2:30 AM
Oh no, I wasn't referring to the game patterns, but custom patterns. Someone had asked how to do this after not finding an appropriate tutorial or link here to do it.

I think I understand what your referring to Delphy. An override for the entire works if you choose, pretty sure I've seen it in the xml files. Of course now we (not we as in here) are wondering if we can add a category! lol Pretty sure that is way above my skill level.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 22nd Aug 2009 at 3:10 PM
This tutorial is great!
And even if you make a package file from a launcher-installed file, the game remembers, on which objects and clothes you used the patterns.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 24th Apr 2010 at 1:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
You don't need to extract every single pattern and re-do them. There is a master list of patterns you can change
Where is that master list? How and where do I change it? :lovestruc

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 13th May 2010 at 5:04 PM
Thank you thank you thank you! :lovestruc