Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#26 Old 26th Sep 2010 at 2:26 AM
Well I updated the NRass SuperComputer and I updated to the new patch and I thought that would resolve the problem. What really confuses me, is that I know that I had more CC before and I've taken a lot out to get it to work like it did before. It seems that it all changed when I moved it to the new folder under the Electronic Arts/Sims 3/Mods, so I'm wondering if there's a link between that. I would gladly switch back the other old method of storing .package files if it resolved the problem!

I also know that I have to have corrupt file(s) because my game has been crashing (when I limit it to 3.7GB of CC). I honestly don't have the time or the effort to go through my CC and find the problem (it would be hard to anyway because my game crashes randomly). I think I might just delete everything and start fresh, but I have no idea what is even going on.

Bestock, the way I've gotten around restarting is to press command+return RIGHT when the screen turns black. After awhile, it will minimize the screen and then you can force quit Sims 3 if it doesn't progress.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#27 Old 26th Sep 2010 at 2:36 AM Last edited by heyvanity : 26th Sep 2010 at 3:56 PM.
I just checked my Activity Monitor and it seems to be a game size limit issue, not my computer. I have 5.95 GB worth of space that I can use on my game, but my computer still had a lot of hard drive space left (around 208GB). Is this something EA has put in place? I don't see why other people aren't having this problem and it's becoming a huge issue? I honestly don't have THAT much CC compared the amount available.

I did check my RAM and I do have very little left after it loads. So that must be the issue.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 26th Sep 2010 at 4:15 PM
I've gone to extreme measures to try to add more hair to my mods, and it just doesn't work right no matter what I do. Eventually the game hangs during startup. Yes, I agree, it started with the new placement of the mods folder. I also have an issue with 'photography'. The game will crash if my sims takes too many photos, and then, even when my sim puts photos of the client in the remodel (architect career). I've stopped adding hairs, and stopped using photos. I recently had to go way back in my sims' saves because my sims disappeared on a world adventure while taking photos of mummies. I could not get them back. I have no clue as to why these things happen or why they're not happening to everyone! Weirdness.

I've used S3PE and dashboard to root out corrupt files and duplicate files. I still have the CC limit. If I add a new hair package the game will hang during startup (black screen) and I have to forcequit. I want to play the game, not spend all my time trying to fix it.
Test Subject
#29 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 6:51 PM
I'd like to verify that I am experiencing a similar issue here as well. I have an Intel dual core with 4GB of memory on Snow Leopard, and I use .package files over Sims3Pack files since I find them easier to maintain. I noticed yesterday (after sparingly downloading content since Sims 3 came out) that the game doesn't load, and stops at the black screen. However when I took some content out (I took out some larger packages that ended up being CC hair), it would load just fine.

Is there any way to override this limit on the OS? For now I will try merging package files using Mono and S3PE and maybe that will help.
Test Subject
#30 Old 11th Oct 2010 at 5:00 AM
keep trying
no ideas?? well.. i check some things in my os... that is what i do... it doesn't solve the problem but i write it here to see if anyone has another idea.. first i check the maxfiles..

i was adding files by groups cause i have the problem that the game freeze in the launch... so finally i realize that the size of cc doesn't matter (tested, various sizes of packages) but the number of files count... in that moment max was 723... with 724 the game doesn't load... so i figure that maybe is a max files... so i close some other programs and now i can put 724, 725 but no 726... so i think that is a system max...

by default, the maximum number of files that Mac OS X can open is set to 12,288 and the maximum number of files a given process can open is 10,240, so i duplicate this:

- sysctl -A | grep kern.maxfiles (check the max)

- sudo touch /etc/sysctl.conf (create the custom file)
- sudo nano /etcsysctl.conf

inside put this..

kern.maxfiles=24576
kern.maxfilesperproc=20480

then save, close and reboot.... now you have max duplicated... test it with the first comand...
but it doesn´t work .. i still cant load the game with all the packages... so then i check the shell max...

ulimit -a (show max of the launchd by soft)

ulimit -H -a (show max of the launchd by hard)

hard is the top and soft is what u can change by console... so i raize them too...

- sudo touch /etc/launchd.conf
- sudo nano /etc/launchd.conf

limit maxfiles 4096 8192

then close and reboot.... and i have the shell max but it still not working..

as i tell at the beginning... it doesn't work, but maybe someone who read this has another idea that finally can avoit the files limitation... maybe a limit by the emulator?? (transgaming) please try something too...
Test Subject
#31 Old 13th Nov 2010 at 12:39 AM
Type this into Terminal in Mac OSX to fix the file size limit for The Sims 2, allowing you to have more than 5000 downloads:

sudo sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=22000
sudo sysctl -w kern.maxfilesperproc=20000

http://snippets.dzone.com/posts/show/1249
My game always acts a lil wonky if I don't do this. It may take awhile to load but you can still play.
Test Subject
#32 Old 18th Feb 2011 at 6:53 PM
Whats the limit for mine? I have 2.24 gb of cc and all the sims 2 games installed. Is there a file limit and what is it for sims 2?
Top Secret Researcher
#33 Old 7th Jan 2018 at 3:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sk fan
Whats the limit for mine? I have 2.24 gb of cc and all the sims 2 games installed. Is there a file limit and what is it for sims 2?

The Mac's Maximum Open Files Limit is system wide, so it affects Sims 3 players, Sims 4 players, and Sims 2 players that use a Mac to play on.

It does not matter about the File Size it is the Number of the Files.

What is MY file limit?

Different Macs have different file limits. You can easily check using Terminal. Checking the limit doesn’t change anything, so don’t be afraid to use Terminal.

Open Terminal
Type in “sysctl kern.maxfiles”, no quotes, just like that. Hit Enter.

You’ll see “kern.maxfiles: X” This is the file limit overall.

Type in “sysctl kern.maxfilesperproc”, no quotes, just like that. Hit Enter.

You’ll see “kern.maxfilesperproc: X” It’ll be smaller than the previous number. This is the file limit per process, i.e., per Sims launch.

For Yosemite and newer I have found a method that changes the File Limit and this change persists upon rebooting and also works after updating your OS.

Check my Signature on how to change the limit. I have it in a Sims 2 site location, but this method applies System Wide so it works for Sims 3 or Sims 4 or Sims 2

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Page 2 of 2