Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#17201 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 4:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101
The Resource.cfg file in my CasDemo is like this:

Priority 500PackedFile *.packagePackedFile *\*.package

I rewrote it like this below and it works fine with subfolders in the Mods folder. Note there is no subfolder called "Packages".

Priority 500PackedFile *.packagePackedFile *\*.packagePackedFile *\*\*.packagePackedFile *\*\*\*.package

So I have folders like this: Mods\ShimrodsJunk\ShimClothingRecolors

I did that and my game tells me one of the files is missing or corrupt and doesn't start. I don't understand why we could add subfolders in TS2 just fine, but now TS3 & 4 need to have their files tampered with to do that. My logic is that things should get easier as time goes on.
Advertisement
Inventor
#17202 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 4:54 PM
The Sims 4 looks a little fun but I'm not willing to spend 70 bucks on it. I kinda want it though, but won't pay for it... Maybe I'll ask for it at Christmas so then I don't have to pay for it lol.
Mad Poster
#17203 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 4:54 PM
I don't mind being able to over use the sliders, I would want it but not to the point some of the uploads have it. I find the sliders in the demo very restricted for my desires but some go overboard.

I really don't care if Sims 4 come with rocket ships, or any other childish stuff the goofy nerds that are suppose to be developers come up with. I am perturbed they left out players like me, left out build mode assets and trying to direct me in a direction that I could ignore in past games. That made me lose faith in their abilities, see no creativity to include multiple styles of game play and total control being slowly swiped away by a mooching, greedy company with their hand trying to get in my pockets. Do less for the game with half ass game play and expect more money from the fans, it's worst than Sims 3. SMH

That's why I loved the modding community because they publish mods that will nerf the goofy stuff and I can ignore it, but I don't think there will be nothing left for me to play with after that. I don't see it. We will see how EA develop the series but I have no expectations that it will include anything worthwhile for me to enjoy. Anyway it don't matter, I got the message loud and clear, they don't want me in the community. EA or the big names that are the "most creative" (gotta laugh at that) who get invited to their events. *sigh*

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Inventor
#17204 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 5:01 PM
When I play the sims 4 since the world is so small, and there are a small number of sims, it's going to be total annihilation on the pre-mades, so my own sims can move into there homes. Are we going to be able to bulldoze lots to make them empty like the sims 3, or are we going to have to do it the old fashioned way and sledgehammer everything?
Mad Poster
#17205 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 5:04 PM
You don't have to sledgehammer anymore, just pick a home from the gallery and place over it. I guess you can build a home on an empty lot, save it to the gallery and then replace the house in the world but don't know if that only in "live" mode or edit world.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Alchemist
#17206 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 5:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by David Poston
When I play the sims 4 since the world is so small, and there are a small number of sims, it's going to be total annihilation on the pre-mades, so my own sims can move into there homes. Are we going to be able to bulldoze lots to make them empty like the sims 3, or are we going to have to do it the old fashioned way and sledgehammer everything?

Don't give EA ideas we won't like. .

Just call me Nikel
Lab Assistant
#17207 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 5:07 PM
Just watching that French gameplay video and in one of the loading screens below the plumbob (around 1:44) it says "Boosting bloom"...
Mad Poster
#17208 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 5:07 PM
I wonder if it would be possible to open those teen jobs to adults.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Inventor
#17209 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 5:10 PM
You know I won't be surprised if they come out with an expansion pack around Christmas time, and hopefully they would've had a patch available before then as well...
Instructor
#17210 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 5:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by applepie123
Just watching that French gameplay video and in one of the loading screens below the plumbob (around 1:44) it says "Boosting bloom"...

They're trying so hard to piss us off...
Top Secret Researcher
#17211 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 5:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mickeymouse254
Out of my interest, I just want to know why everyone is still here discussing a game no body likes/will buy?

Because we love The Sims, and are pissed off at what EA has done to the game.
Mad Poster
#17212 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 5:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thesammy58
I did that and my game tells me one of the files is missing or corrupt and doesn't start. I don't understand why we could add subfolders in TS2 just fine, but now TS3 & 4 need to have their files tampered with to do that. My logic is that things should get easier as time goes on.

I had the same problem too, I thought it was just me doing something wrong. Reinstalling hasn't fixed it, so if you manage to get it working again, could you post how?
Test Subject
#17213 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 5:50 PM
Newbie (to the forum) opinion:

I'll admit it, I liked Sims 3 over Sims 2. Because I like story progression. And yes, I couldn't stand toddlers. I never played (yet) as a Legacy family. But the great thing about the prior games (3 and 2) was that you could customize them to play how you wanted. I don't like toddlers, I set the age length to 2 days. Someone else wants it more realistic, they set it longer. I like supernatural sims, I can click those on in options. Someone else doesn't, they can click them off. Someone else hates story progression, they could turn it off. It was really easy to play your way, I thought. And that was such a strength, that one game could support so many playstyles.

Sims 4....that's gone, in my opinion. EA has decided how the game is going to be played, and you'd better fit into it, or too bad. And their way of playing isn't mine. So after buying every EP for Sims 1, every EP and SP for Sims 2, and nearly every EP for Sims 3.....I'm done, EA. And I wonder how many more people there are like me who just quietly won't buy on September 2.
Instructor
#17214 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 5:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
I had the same problem too, I thought it was just me doing something wrong. Reinstalling hasn't fixed it, so if you manage to get it working again, could you post how?

For now just delete the modified .cfg and the game will generate a new one. I guess we'll have to wait for a way that works for everyone to surface.
Mad Poster
#17215 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 6:25 PM
For now just delete the modified .cfg and the game will generate a new one. I guess we'll have to wait for a way that works for everyone to surface.

Oh thank goodness, that worked! Thank you!
Lab Assistant
#17216 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 6:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stefan963
So there is new gameplay video,
two things, first i dont think sims going thru each other is a clipping or a bug i think that's the way is program to do
second, when you look at that big park, you can see up to 20 people hahaha there is between 2 or 5 sims.
So more good news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmf...ture=youtu.be&a

that routing made me cry
kid gets a bowl of food out of the fridge while the mom is near the stove so she just casually walks into the kitchen island to go to the sofa then later they share and the mom grabs a bowl just to walk into it again
also kid can "joke about toilets?" (right at 9:40) ugh... what is it with the sims team and pee/toilet jokes It's starting to really make me angry at this point... . (and i will admid it gets me double mad because of private reasons i'm not gonna get into here because game forum not irl, but god it's starting to get to me )
Inventor
#17217 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 6:37 PM
About the graphics glitches I see some too. In the CAS demo my sims hands go through her skirt. I understand why this happens with some of those big rococo gowns int he sims 2, the outfit is wider but this should not be happening in the sims 4 regular dresses.
One Minute Ninja'd
#17218 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 6:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ivinora
that routing made me cry
kid gets a bowl of food out of the fridge while the mom is near the stove so she just casually walks into the kitchen island to go to the sofa then later they share and the mom grabs a bowl just to walk into it again

So if all that work on better routing was accomplished by simply eliminating collision detection and allowing clipping, what did they do for the rest of their development cycle?

Oh, right. Rocket ships and Space Rangers.
Theorist
#17219 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 6:59 PM Last edited by lisfyre : 16th Aug 2014 at 7:33 PM.
I am not dismissing anyone's disappointment in the game as I have many issues with what is being presented I was simply asking if anyone thought that despite the shortcoming if the game still seemed as though it would deliver enjoyment. Me saying that I hardly used pools and toddlers anyway is not meant to take away someone who may have. I was heavily disappointed in the sims 3 even after multiple expansions it still felt empty. While I dismiss things that are amiss I do not mean that no one should care for them, I am, as you said, simply stating that I would enjoy my game despite these shortcomings. No one is arguing that EA cut corners in order to get this game out in time for christmas, and many things about the game seem to be down right unprofessional. I have no problem with peoples gripes with that. There just seems to be a bit of a bandwagon of TS4 sucks and has no redeeming qualities and blah blah when in actuality had these features (which yes should be expected) were included, it would be great. I mean hey, before the sims 3 I thought memories, hot tubs, wants and fears etc. were to be expected in the game.
Anyone saying anything positive about the game isnt trying to belittle anyones disappointment. It is, after all, a game. And you're perfectly welcome to stick to your pudding children in the Sims 3 if that is your wish. The Sims isnt a lifetime subscription that forces you to buy every single release and I wouldnt blame anyone for skipping this one. But for me personally I will give it a chance.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion regarding this new game that's going to be released. I didn't disagree or agree with your post and I'm glad you're going to give TS4 the benefit of the doubt and are willing to give it a go. As for me, as a player of TS2 and TS3 both of which I thoroughly enjoy.. let me clarify my point of view.

First and foremost I'm a builder and a decorator. I love building homes and decorating them and populating them with my sims. Not EA canned sims (eww gross, how repulsive). I do play, and I have several game styles. My TS2 games are legacy, play, vanilla (build only) and my TS3 games are vanilla (build only), legacy, challenges, and play. All different styles of play for me. I play TS2 because I love the charm and quirky sims and their interactions. To me it's a much fuller life simulation game than TS3 is. TS3 has it's charms but the most important feature of TS3 are the open world and CASt. That's just me.

My husband also happens to play this game (he introduced it to me) and he's strictly a legacy player. He creates a self sim, creates my self sim and literally "goes forth and multiplies". A small world like the TS4 ones would be overrun with all his progeny in no time. He's already over run Bridgeport with Gen 17 and everytime he looks around for a suitable mate for one of his sims, they're related!! Which of course frustrates him to no end. We just both got Island Paradise 2 weeks ago and his Isla Paradiso is in Gen 7 already and he's starting to feel closed in by relatives. Not only that, he skills all his sims and I mean ALL... in EVERYTHING. From the time they age up to toddler, he's got them reading and learning. All his sims learn EVERYTHING there is to learn. He can't do without all the life stages. TS4 would never work for him. He was very much gung ho about this game until all these cuts surfaced and his first view of the "world" in TS4. So.. in the end, we're both not getting this game.

Having said all that, given the list of features taken away from The Sims 4 doesn't encourage or entice us to give this game a chance of anything. We'll be happy playing TS3 until a better iteration of The Sims game shows up. TS5 hopefully will have more in it's base game then TS4 ever will... we can hope. If not, then The Sims 3 will be our last life simulation game until someone else can create or rather, re-create it.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Alchemist
#17220 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 7:00 PM
Let's speculate about the first expansion pack.

Obviously the first expansion pack was going to be OFB - there was no OFB in The Sims 3 only Premium Content from the Store (which was a smart move since a lot of users requested OFB and then had to buy restaurants and cafés and shops seperatly). But the lacking of toddlers, family tree's and a lot of other feautures is a game changer for EA - they know what the fans want and it's only an EP away - so I think there will either be a Generations/Family Life as a first EP, or some kind of OFB.

Because the thing with the first expansion pack from The Sims 3 was that the whole concept of The Sims 3 was the open world, but users did explore Sunset Valley and Riverview fast as both of them we're not that big of a city. Giving them an adventure EP with 3 new worlds/destination would trigger the whole '' open world '' concept even further.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#17221 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 7:03 PM
If TS3 is anything to go by your resource.cfg should look like this to allow for 3 subfolder levels:
Code:
Priority 500
PackedFile *.package
PackedFile *\*.package
PackedFile *\*\*.package
PackedFile *\*\*\*.package

You should be able to copy this directly into a new text file and save it as Resource.cfg. Just make sure that it doesn't accidentally save ending in a .txt
For comparison this is one of my TS3 resource.cfg files that allows 5 subfolder levels inside the Packages folder which is apparently not needed anymore:
Forum Resident
#17222 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 7:10 PM Last edited by chreai : 16th Aug 2014 at 7:23 PM.
Out of my interest, I just want to know why everyone is still here discussing a game no body likes/will buy?

Quote: Originally posted by Margaret Pendragon
Because we love The Sims, and are pissed off at what EA has done to the game.

^This!

And, also, I can't speak for everyone, but the reason I keep coming here is because some small part of me--the part that loves The Sims--maintains hope that there is actually something indisputably spectacular about this game that will pull me in and make me want to play it. Like the open world, story progression and CASt of TS3. If they had kept any of those things in this newest generation, I might have been willing to give it a chance. But as it stands, with all the features they cut--a lot of them being major ones, it's not worth my hard-earned cash. At least not at the asking price.

Quote: Originally posted by kattybiz
I'll admit it, I liked Sims 3 over Sims 2. Because I like story progression. And yes, I couldn't stand toddlers. I never played (yet) as a Legacy family. But the great thing about the prior games (3 and 2) was that you could customize them to play how you wanted. I don't like toddlers, I set the age length to 2 days. Someone else wants it more realistic, they set it longer. I like supernatural sims, I can click those on in options. Someone else doesn't, they can click them off. Someone else hates story progression, they could turn it off. It was really easy to play your way, I thought. And that was such a strength, that one game could support so many playstyles.

Sims 4....that's gone, in my opinion. EA has decided how the game is going to be played, and you'd better fit into it, or too bad. And their way of playing isn't mine. So after buying every EP for Sims 1, every EP and SP for Sims 2, and nearly every EP for Sims 3.....I'm done, EA. And I wonder how many more people there are like me who just quietly won't buy on September 2.

^So much this!

My TS3 Sims, patterns & recolors

Check out my Simblr! (TS3-focused, sometimes NSFW)
♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Theorist
#17223 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 7:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kattybiz
Newbie (to the forum) .

Welcome to MTS

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Forum Resident
#17224 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 7:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
So if all that work on better routing was accomplished by simply eliminating collision detection and allowing clipping

I just came here to say the same thing I'm starting to think Grant's head is not properly working.

Some of the trolling, like the Boasting Bloom loading screen, I don't mind. I mean, I find it a bit weird that they would pick such an obvious fight with their consumer base, but I guess they think it's funny or something. Lord knows it's not the only immature decision they made regarding this game, so that doesn't affect me or anything.

But to use the "better rourting" as an excuse to all shortcomings of the game, and tell fans repeatedly that "routing is much improved", is straight up messed up if that video, along with EnglishSimmer's, is representative of the final version. It makes me wonder how these people can be proud of their work if better routing equals making sims going through objects and other sims. All the time, that absurd amount of clipping was their solution? It's no wonder why the game was being locked down for the most amount of time possible.

Also, considering the lack of open world and CAST, have they come up with an excuse as to why the worlds are so small? I just realized how tiny they are. I mean, I knew they were small, but this new video really highlighted the fact that 80% of the worlds is decoration and public spaces. Are those the smallest worlds since TS1?

And for such a lively game, that park was surprisingly empty. Did anyone else notice that there were no other sims around apart from 3 or 4 of them?
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#17225 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 7:41 PM
It's hyenas feeding time
'Missing' Features in The Sims 4 (PART 1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNQVeQHClTo
'Missing' Features in The Sims 4 (PART 2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV6qtxbNVYA
Locked thread
Page 689 of 920