Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#4526 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 10:30 PM
There's something I don't understand, I think a guru said school-bound sims will just walk of the lot, "like they used to in TS2" but I don't think this even happened in the base game. Unless you specified otherwise (walking/lift in a parent's car) in EPs, there was a schoolbus from day 1...
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#4527 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 10:31 PM
That video makes me miss shopping in game so so much

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Field Researcher
#4528 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 10:35 PM
Read everything I missed now.
I'm so pissed so i'm going to boot up my glorious TS2 and play with toddlers, pools, open grocery stores, gardeners, EMOTIONS (Because, you know. TS2 actually also had EMOTIONS Because TS2 is actually "Tactile") and everything else that TS4 doesn't have.
And then I might play some TS3 and play with an open worlds with 64x64 lots!!
Thank you EA for saving me lots of money

(excuse my English and spelling. It's past bedtime here and i'm really tired lol)
Mad Poster
#4529 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 10:35 PM
I've gotten very cynical about EA from Sims 3, and I have a feeling that they haven't shown a gameplay trailer yet because there is no real gameplay, or they are trying to hide something.

Out of genuine curiosity did they show actual gameplay trailers for Sims 2 and Sims 3 before they came out? (I started playing Sims 2 in 2010 and Sims 3 in 2012 so they were out long before I started playing. This is the first time I'm hearing about a Sims game before it came out, and I'm not impressed.)
Alchemist
#4530 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 10:47 PM
I think it's sad we have to now sit through years of EP's that struggle to pull this disaster back together just because EA went blindly off into a stupid online-game direction and then, having painted themselves into a corner, decided to do an about-face, selling the half-finished mess. They should have just finished the online game and sold it as "The Sims 3 Online" or something. I would have hated it but at least we would have had a new idea and a new direction.

I struggle to place exactly what's new and innovative about TS4. All I see are tiny disasters being peddled by sellers in denial. I mean, emotions? I swear my Sims always got emotional since Sims 1. They get mad, they lose a loved one and mope around the house, they find stuff funny. Now, in Sims 4, they...do the same thing? Just more of it? No one has been able to explain what's so special about emotions but the guru's behave like this is the true gem of TS4. Is that really what the big sell is? And if the Sims really are just amazingly realistic and multidimensional how is anyone going to appreciate that when there's so many obstacles and things you can't do and features NOWHERE IN SIGHT? One overrides the other and I can't really see the Sims being "awesome" enough to make me forget that a baby turns into a school-aged child, and then into a teen that looks like an adult so essentially there isn't a teen lifestage either. I mean adding some pudge to them so they look like teens? A lot of teens are often quite skinny. That doesn't work! It's a short cut, it's thrown together, and it's nothing but shameful. I find it insulting that there's no apology about toddlers and teens because frankly we deserve one.

Of all the disappointments I think teen height is my largest and most unbelieveable. It's just so obvious that no one at EA is trying and I find it literally hard to wrap my head around the fact that someone thinks this is acceptable as a final sellable product. Really?! I just can't believe it. Am I dreaming??

How can they act like this game is worth anybody's time? I would be so embarrassed to be a guru. I'd be here with a non-guru related username agreeing with all you people that this thing is a steaming pile of shite and it needs to GO.

I've said to Graham on twitter sarcastically that in this fourth installment, it must finally be possible to add a ground-level garage to a house on foundation. (Though I saw a post pages back that said you have 0 control over foundations so even if you build a detached shed it ends up on foundation if your house is LOL! WTF?) I mean surely they've put that simple feature in, right? What about some diagonal steps? No? Then what the fuck are you doing. Sims 4...THE FOURTH generation, and they still have this bullshit going on in build mode? And took away our interaction with the terrain?! WHY!?!

I've been playing The Sims since Sims 1, my dad bought the first game for me after I picked it up from the shelf and read about it and said I must have it. This was before it had any EP's. It was a brand new concept. I loved it for years. I loved Sims 1 and 2. Sims 3 let me down in a ton of ways and I thought just maybe Sims 4 would fix some of that, instead they've made it incomprehensibly worse. It makes me mad that EA can be this stupid, and that they flaunt the observable fact that all they care about is money, while preaching they care about quality when it could not be more obvious a quality game is the farthest thing from their mind. Please don't give them money, please cancel your pre-orders. They are taking you for a huge fool, don't give them the satisfaction of a huge profit.

Imagine a door to door salesman is trying to sell you a vacuum that you can see is clearly broken and not going to work as he tries to push it on you telling you it's awesome and you're gonna love it. You'd slam the fucking door in his face.
Instructor
#4531 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 10:49 PM Last edited by Bandon : 2nd Jul 2014 at 11:03 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by himawara106
Everyday I read news about Sims 4 I think it's april fools' day and the jokes are so bad.

It's to the point now that when someone makes a post like "A guru said bill paying animations aren't in the game, they ran out of time and it was a low priority. So the bills are just automatically deducted from your family's funds." I'm just sitting, looking at the screen, thinking is this real or this a joke post. You literally can't even tell the real from the joke posts anymore! wth. That's how messed up TS4 is looking without any live gameplay to make things clear. I'm expecting anything under the sun next week.

-"No hospitals. Your sims just drive off the edge of the map to go to a pretend hospital" Oh... ok. Really? Or is this a joke?
-"Other non-played sim families don't reproduce and continue their family line" Is this real? Or just a mix up?
-"Child adoption." Is that still in the game?

I'm starting to question if even basic stuff that the Sims 2 and 3 did are in this game. EA please give us some live gameplay.

Edit:
Quote: Originally posted by carpedentum
There's something I don't understand, I think a guru said school-bound sims will just walk of the lot, "like they used to in TS2" but I don't think this even happened in the base game. Unless you specified otherwise (walking/lift in a parent's car) in EPs, there was a schoolbus from day 1...

This is what I mean lol. So there's no school bus for kids anymore? Or were they just using a figure of speech in "walk off the lot"?
Field Researcher
#4532 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 11:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
Random question for Story Progression fans: What does it add to your gameplay? I'm one of those rotational micro-managers, meaning I don't want my potential playables going off and having lives without my say-so.

I've tried, however, to play TS3 (several times) and the most recent time I tried to give SP via NRAAS a shot. It seemed like the end result was that I just got a ton of annoying notifications about what various Sims were getting up to.

(Yes, I know they can be turned off, but do you guys mostly leave all those notifications on?)

So aside from those notifications, what's the benefit? Is it seeing the random outcomes that occur?

If so, could that be where they thought they were going with "weirder stories?"

WAIT! BEFORE YOU CLICK DISAGREE...

...well, you can click it all you want, but I really do want to know how SP'ers incorporate it into their gameplay.

I wouldn't say it's the random outcomes that I enjoy. Quite the opposite actually - I like that Nraas SP makes all the developments in my sims' lives seem very sensible, and well-suited to their traits. EA SP is a nonsense - I do feel I really need the mod for this. For me the appeal is being able to keep in touch with what's going on in the lives with my inactive sims, and trusting that those things will make sense for them. I mainly keep my legacy family as my active family, but I am very attached to the other sims in my neighbourhoods because I have made most of them (or their parents, grandparents, etc.). I love watching the neighbourhood develop over generations - finding out what jobs everyone will get, who they'll marry, what friendships they'll make, and what their children will be like. SP even lets me name their children, which makes me feel more involved in their lives and also to chose names that reflect the parents' cultural heritage

I can imagine the pop-ups might get boring if I didn't feel that personal connection to each of the sims in my town, but then I would probably just customize the options only to report on blood relatives. As it is, I want to know what everyone is up to! The only pop-ups I block are the existing flirts/relationships (because I'm only interested in new information) and the skills stuff (because I really don't care about that).
Instructor
#4533 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 11:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
Please tell me someone here works on Broadway...

I work on Broadway. But not in theater.

(I'm as helpful as a Guru! - Sorry Graham)

Cagley Family Legacy (A Random Legacy Challenge)
Forum Resident
#4534 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 11:15 PM
How are we not supposed to worry about this game??

What a hot mess.
Instructor
#4535 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 11:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
Random question for Story Progression fans: What does it add to your gameplay? I'm one of those rotational micro-managers, meaning I don't want my potential playables going off and having lives without my say-so.
I've tried, however, to play TS3 (several times) and the most recent time I tried to give SP via NRAAS a shot. It seemed like the end result was that I just got a ton of annoying notifications about what various Sims were getting up to.
(Yes, I know they can be turned off, but do you guys mostly leave all those notifications on?)
So aside from those notifications, what's the benefit? Is it seeing the random outcomes that occur?

In Twallan's SP mod I turned notifications off for everyone but friends and family. And some specific things I even turned if so it was only family. I'm not a rotation player and I don't know how you guys do it. I just get one family, usually around 2 to 4 people. And if it accidentally get's to more than 4 people in the family they start to wear me out. People setting things on fire, getting abducted by aliens, having alien babies, electrocuting themselves, getting fired from their jobs, forgetting to pay bills, falling into depressive episodes after the repoman comes. No, one family, 4 people or under is what I can handle. More than that is just confusing and stressful. A long round of applause for people who can do rotational gameplay. But with Twallan's SP manager I can see what the friends of the family are up to and what's going on in their lives. It's really cool. It makes the world feel alive.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#4536 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 11:17 PM
Does no grocery store really mean no grocery shopping? Remember TS1 Unleashed. There also was a gardener spawned by the market stand and you could buy groceries either from him directly or from the stand, IIRC. So, unless the gardeners in TS4 are pure deco (again), they might have a use for this. You could also buy seeds and sell your own produce, and as the rabbitholes are no more maybe you can learn gardening from them, too.
Mr. Guru, say Yes! for a change.
Test Subject
#4537 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 11:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
Does no grocery store really mean no grocery shopping? Remember TS1 Unleashed. There also was a gardener spawned by the market stand and you could buy groceries either from him directly or from the stand, IIRC. So, unless the gardeners in TS4 are pure deco (again), they might have a use for this. You could also buy seeds and sell your own produce, and as the rabbitholes are no more maybe you can learn gardening from them, too.
Mr. Guru, say Yes! for a change.

You can cry on my shoulder when EA mercilessly disappoints you.
Test Subject
#4538 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bandon
It's to the point now that when someone makes a post like "A guru said bill paying animations aren't in the game, they ran out of time and it was a low priority. So the bills are just automatically deducted from your family's funds." I'm just sitting, looking at the screen, thinking is this real or this a joke post. You literally can't even tell the real from the joke posts anymore! wth. That's how messed up TS4 is looking without any live gameplay to make things clear. I'm expecting anything under the sun next week.

-"No hospitals. Your sims just drive off the edge of the map to go to a pretend hospital" Oh... ok. Really? Or is this a joke?
-"Other non-played sim families don't reproduce and continue their family line" Is this real? Or just a mix up?
-"Child adoption." Is that still in the game?

I'm starting to question if even basic stuff that the Sims 2 and 3 did are in this game. EA please give us some live gameplay.

Edit:

This is what I mean lol. So there's no school bus for kids anymore? Or were they just using a figure of speech in "walk off the lot"?

So true. The game is just a total joke at this point, I literally giggle when the gurus so graciously provide me with more disappointment because it's so damn laughable that a big company would produce this trash.
Mad Poster
#4539 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 11:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bandon
In Twallan's SP mod I turned notifications off for everyone but friends and family. And some specific things I even turned if so it was only family. I'm not a rotation player and I don't know how you guys do it. I just get one family, usually around 2 to 4 people. And if it accidentally get's to more than 4 people in the family they start to wear me out. People setting things on fire, getting abducted by aliens, having alien babies, electrocuting themselves, getting fired from their jobs, forgetting to pay bills, falling into depressive episodes after the repoman comes. No, one family, 4 people or under is what I can handle. More than that is just confusing and stressful. A long round of applause for people who can do rotational gameplay. But with Twallan's SP manager I can see what the friends of the family are up to and what's going on in their lives. It's really cool. It makes the world feel alive.

I turn off most notifications until the family is in the 2nd generation then I turn on family and blood. I don't use all the story extras either. My sims are lively and funny enough, the personality stuff gets in the way. I don't want to play several families and yes I would love the others in the world would live on without my input, but I forgot the game has the ability to add family members if I don't play them. That will work for some things, but still wish for a SP. I am a lazy simmer. *nods head in shame*

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Field Researcher
#4540 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 11:31 PM
Even though I have some serious issues with TS3, you'll be prying those discs from my cold dead hands before I give them up at this stage.
Lab Assistant
#4541 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 11:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Let's see. TS4 base game has no:

- Toddlers
- Pools
- CAST
- Open world
- Lots larger than 50x50
- Shopping for clothing or groceries
- Cars, or any need for any kind of transportation system whatsoever
- Lots higher than 3 levels
- Terrain sculpting
- Ability to choose which structures on a lot have a foundation and which don't
- Ability to edit any of the public spaces
- Story progression
- Different heights for teens and adults
- Basements
- Cutscenes
- Decent amount of lots/NPCs in a world
.)

But instead we are getting emotions and loading screens at every turn. No wonder they don't want to show any gameplay. The ones still holding out hope won't be able to continue with their denial once they see how limited S4 is.
Field Researcher
#4542 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 11:44 PM
I think this is what happened:

- EA were planning TS4 as a Life Stories lite online game where other people occupied the other 4 neighbourhood houses and we could all visit eachother and talk etc.
- EA decided that we only needed adults & children like in TS1 so only made those.
- All the ditched content was never going to be in the game from the start, because of the online aspect for "performance"
- When SimCity flopped, EA scrapped this whole concept and had to start again
- But EA being the greedy shits they are, decided not to start again and started building a new game from this online game shell
- They had to create lifestages, so made Adults/Teens/Elders all look the same, and got the TS2 baby mesh and painted it on.
- The Emotions aspect was made the new marketing focus as the game had fuck all else due to the main aspect being ditched
- Now, we are left with an empty shell of a game. A game with it's core ripped out (online) and now we are left with a half-baked game lacking in so many features.
Forum Resident
#4543 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 11:44 PM Last edited by rodrigues : 3rd Jul 2014 at 12:16 AM.
@SimGuruGraham

Graham, forgive me for what I am about to say, but the ideia of being able to talk to one person involved with the game production is pretty incredible. You are probably not going to feel comfortable responding, but I hope you are reading it, just so I can know I was able to express my feelings to one of the team.

HONEST, LONG POST INSIDE...

Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#4544 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 11:47 PM Last edited by Don_Babilon : 3rd Jul 2014 at 12:45 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by funbox
You can cry on my shoulder when EA mercilessly disappoints you.
No worries, they already disappointed me last year and so far haven't shown me anything that will change this.

----
Here's a nice article by Rock, Paper, Shotgun, btw. Maybe not to everyone's liking but equally sobered.

Pretty quote:
Quote:
It has a robust yet fluid Build mode and enjoys social engagements, but it cannot plan a pool party because it’s incapable of building a pool. Observe.

No pools (or toddlers), and yet it can build rocketships in its shed and grow giant carnivorous plants. It’s as if this particular architect showed up to a building site without any blueprints but hoped it could distract everyone with a comedy tie, or by doing a kerrazy dance.
Field Researcher
#4545 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 11:55 PM
Excellent post Rodrigues! You summed up all my feelings quite perfectly there.
Scholar
#4546 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 12:00 AM
I'm honestly shocked that people are still continuing to pre-order this game despite all the recent news.

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Field Researcher
#4547 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 12:01 AM
Logging off now for the night and I'm totally expecting to wake up to "CAS has been taken out of TS4 for performance reasons" ...
Mad Poster
#4548 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 12:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rodrigues
@SimGuruGraham

Graham, forgive me for what I am about to say, but the ideia of being able to talk to one person involved with the game production is pretty incredible. You are probably not going to feel comfortable responding, but I hope you are reading it just so I can know I was able to express my feelings to one of the team.

HONEST, LONG POST INSIDE...

Mad Poster
#4549 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 12:06 AM
Got my response about obtaining seeds: https://twitter.com/SimGuruGrant/st...471984412045313

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Instructor
#4550 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 12:10 AM
You can order "things"?

I suppose we can find a melon, ground beef, and apples in our mailbox then? For the love of cock, just answer the goddamn question, for cock's sake! Can we order seeds or not?
Locked thread
Page 182 of 920