Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jun 2019 at 5:30 AM
How do ya'll make your Sim screenshots for your avatars fit the size but look so nice?
So, the avatar picture for MTS must be 100p x 100p or smaller. I see a lot of simmers on here who have a sim as their profile picture. Cool, I want to as well. So, I took in-game screenshots, cropped them, and sized them down. No problemo--Except, now they're super blurry (example: my avatar currently). Yeah, that happens when you size down huge pictures into tiny little square pictures. No duh, Moozy. But I want to know how so many simmers have made their avatars and make them clearer and nicer-looking than mine!

Thanks ~
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 24th Jun 2019 at 9:50 PM
What programs are you using to resize your picture? A vector editor is generally better at resizing things than a raster editor is, although the raster editor is generally better for actually editing the image. Still, I generally find that the problem is more noticeable when turning a small image into a bigger one than when turning a big image into a smaller one unless I'm trying to resize a jpg. (especially one that has been saved before...)

Speaking of jpg, are you using the native Sims 3 screenshots, or are you using something like FRAPS? It would help if you used an external program that lets you save your image as a bmp before resizing it.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Site Helper
#3 Old 25th Jun 2019 at 3:57 PM
png should be about as good as bmp, although you can also google free screen capture programs. But GIMP is a raster editor, so you might want to consider trying a free vector editor to do your resizing. I'm trying Inkscape, which has a learning curve but works nicely to resize when I can remember what I did to make it work...

ETA:
Raster editors by saying "make this pixel red, this pixel blue, this pixel green, etc." Resizing means adding or eliminating pixels.

Vector editors work by saying "this area of the image is red, this is blue, there is some green in this area, etc." Resizing means making the areas bigger or smaller. They have their own format to save as, but they can usually be told to save as a bmp or png. Then you can open the result in GIMP and save as jpg for the avatar.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook