Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Summer Movie Night - posted on 13th Jun 2018 at 10:07 PM
Replies: 4048 (Who?), Viewed: 180654 times.
Page 162 of 162
Mad Poster
#4026 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 11:00 PM
- Hardcoded limitations in the game engine, particularly the stupid Create-a-Sim restrictions and only four families in an apartment building.
- There's no way to get rid of a want. Sorry kid, you flunked out of high school, so stop wishing to go to college!
- Sims don't know how to take turns. Lots of stomping and flailing when multiple Sims are trying to clean up their plates.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

My memory is poor, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives | Check out my website!
Lab Assistant
#4027 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 3:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulbizarre
- Hardcoded limitations in the game engine, particularly the stupid Create-a-Sim restrictions and only four families in an apartment building.
- There's no way to get rid of a want. Sorry kid, you flunked out of high school, so stop wishing to go to college!
- Sims don't know how to take turns. Lots of stomping and flailing when multiple Sims are trying to clean up their plates.


That last one yes!!
Mad Poster
#4028 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 4:09 PM
Because it makes more sense to throw your plate in the trash rather than wait five seconds for a free sink.
Lab Assistant
#4029 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 7:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charity
Because it makes more sense to throw your plate in the trash rather than wait five seconds for a free sink.


My sims do that all the dang time.
Mad Poster
#4030 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 8:23 PM
I have been tempted many times to follow that example and throw the dishes into the trash.

Windows 10 and the Ultimate Collection
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=568275
Lab Assistant
#4031 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 9:29 PM
This is more of a pet peeve about CC but I just downloaded a handful of hairs. I checked them out on CAS and see like, bald spots that weren't in the screenshots. Or like one hair mesh where its not attached to the scalp on the left side and makes it look like a bad wig. Conveniently the left side was left out of the screenshots *sigh*


So close yet so far

I used to tumblr a lot about this lame-o group: The Smiths - The Draize Train


Jumped on the Simblr train
Lab Assistant
#4032 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 3:24 AM
Quote:
- Sims don't know how to take turns. Lots of stomping and flailing when multiple Sims are trying to clean up their plates.


Especially because when sims are done having their temper tantrum and finished dropping the action out of the queue, the other sim is almost always just done doing the dishes, walking the stairs, walking through the door, you name it. If only they made sims a little bit more patient.
Instructor
#4033 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 2:55 PM
They did, in TS3, and it's just as annoying. And there's so much waiting in that game. Sims end up waiting so long that half the time they end up colliding again. Makes me respect the TS2 sims a bit more.

They don't really want to do the dishes. Like a teenager being asked to do chores, they'll do what you say, but any little excuse to drop it and run, they take so they can do whatever they feel like doing. I just try to learn from my mistakes and design their homes better, so they don't have any excuses.

"Enjoy the moment with all your might, whether it’s gloomy, whether it’s bright!"
Also known as Kelyns but you can call me KB.
Bored? Read the legacy I'll probably never finish.
Mad Poster
#4034 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 6:38 PM
TS3 was an exercise in frustration. Tell a Sim to use the toilet? They stand around five minutes before walking to the bathroom. Then they stand in front of the toilet another five minutes to stare at it before deciding to sit down.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

My memory is poor, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives | Check out my website!
Inventor
#4035 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 9:03 PM
And they do that weird, zombie like "waiting" stance while they wait in Sims 3....*shudder*

Avatar by MasterRed
Lab Assistant
#4036 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 10:19 PM
This is a weird rant but I just kinda wanted to get it off of my chest. I dislike TS4 as a sims game, but I find myself getting pulled into the community because of how much poc/sims-of-color representation there is on tumblr, YouTube, and other platforms for TS4 sims compared to TS2 sims. Not that I am complaining since I love the TS2 community, but the cc hairs in particular for anything curlier than a wave are particularly lacking. If I knew how to convert hairs from 4 to 2, that would be perfect. Might have to be something worth looking into before classes start up again...

Lurking since 10/2/07 ~ Call me Cheezy. ;)
Tumblr: http://mmmcheezy.tumblr.com/
Scholar
#4037 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 11:09 PM
1. When that one specific cc lamp you want to use because it matches won't go on top of that one cc end table you want to use.
2. Not being able to put a door right at the bottom of the stairs.
3. CAS. is. so. slow.
4. Sorting through cc (cos names are wild and don't always make sense so it takes forever to find what you don't want). Like why can't I see all the things I want to delete? Why isn't there a standardised rule or naming cc to make everyone's life easier??
5. Doors and windows have different types of glass? Why is some glass blue and other glass clear? Can't I have both? (That's why I don't understand the glass recolours that exist for maxis windows- are they blue or are they colourless and I'm too scared to try because what if I mess up because defaults are scary?!)
Mad Poster
#4038 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 11:17 PM
@Noa1500 for #1, did you try an OMSP? (though you might end up with people sticking newspapers or books underneath the lamp, which is a pain)

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

My memory is poor, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives | Check out my website!
Scholar
#4039 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 11:22 PM
@Bulbizarre It only worked once using an omsp. A true mystery it was. I think I have since gotten rid of both the lovely table and lamp because that frustration was not worth it
Lab Assistant
#4040 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezypuff121P
This is a weird rant but I just kinda wanted to get it off of my chest. I dislike TS4 as a sims game, but I find myself getting pulled into the community because of how much poc/sims-of-color representation there is on tumblr, YouTube, and other platforms for TS4 sims compared to TS2 sims. Not that I am complaining since I love the TS2 community, but the cc hairs in particular for anything curlier than a wave are particularly lacking. If I knew how to convert hairs from 4 to 2, that would be perfect. Might have to be something worth looking into before classes start up again...



Most of hairs I had downloaded were exactly those so I was frustrated the few dreads/braids that looked decent still weren't 100%. If i knew how to just fill in those bald spots, those hairs would have been really good!

I used to tumblr a lot about this lame-o group: The Smiths - The Draize Train


Jumped on the Simblr train
Instructor
#4041 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 1:29 AM
@Noa1500, there is an omsp for end tables that you can put the object on to make it placeable in the right slot: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=317716.
Or you can edit the item make sure it fits where you want to place it; a lot of deco items seem like you should be able to place them in a certain slot, but actually don't "fit" because of the way the object is classified. These tutorials should be able to help with that problem: http://modthesims.info/t/82685 and http://modthesims.info/t/140183.

About the CC representation issue, though, @cheezypuff121P, I feel like it might just be a timing thing--better tools available for the newer games and better/more modding knowledge. Trust me, there were creators back then who felt a little like you do and did make different kinds of sims and cc that represented more types of people. Maybe not as many as you would like, but they existed.

Also, too, you have to realize, the style of cc has changed. Especially in the early sim days, there was a lot of... how do I put this politely... "photo realistic" cc, that basically looked like a high res picture put into the game. From what I see on Pinterest anyway, creators nowadays are meshing their styles with the game style better, so that cc looks more natural and fitting in the game (or at least in their photos!). And while there are still some creators, across all the games, who still want and create for that realistic, photo shoot style of cc, a lot of them seem to be taking care to either be mindful of textures or to mod their games to make the lighting match their desired look. So yeah, a lot of stuff today looks really good and even better than ever because they're made differently. I have some cc from years ago that I hang on to, but I will admit that some cc, especially hairs, are simply outclassed by cc made today in the same category. And it's probably because they're made a little differently and use different textures.

Basically, I think you're seeing what you're seeing for TS4 because there were 3 generations of modding before it; creators today are not only building on the modding of past games, but also, a lot have come to be because of the popularity of the past games. The Sims is a bigger franchise now and creating cc for it is more well known and prevalent. I can't imagine a simmer today with TS4 who doesn't know that there's a plethora of cc for it online--though some must exist somewhere. But that number is not nearly as many as the number of simmers back in the day who didn't know about cc for TS2 and TS1.

"Enjoy the moment with all your might, whether it’s gloomy, whether it’s bright!"
Also known as Kelyns but you can call me KB.
Bored? Read the legacy I'll probably never finish.
Lab Assistant
#4042 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 1:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDraizeTrain
Most of hairs I had downloaded were exactly those so I was frustrated the few dreads/braids that looked decent still weren't 100%. If i knew how to just fill in those bald spots, those hairs would have been really good!


Yes, it'd be so perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomknight
About the CC representation issue, though, @cheezypuff121P, I feel like it might just be a timing thing--better tools available for the newer games and better/more modding knowledge. Trust me, there were creators back then who felt a little like you do and did make different kinds of sims and cc that represented more types of people. Maybe not as many as you would like, but they existed.
[truncated for brevity - but lots of good stuff here]


You're right, and I tried not to cast a critical eye towards the modding community itself, since TS2 has wonderful creators and meshers still creating excellent CC items for us to use and I appreciate it endlessly. I suppose my frustrations are more with the comparatively-limited options. It'd be nice to have more diversity and inclusion in the types of sims you can make with CC since TS4 simmers currently have more of a luxury in that regard, but you're right. Modders have moved on, BG meshes have become more compliant with different hair textures and volumes (heck even the TS4 sims team released kinky and curly hairs for sims), and that has led to a larger representation overall in that part of the Sims franchise. I just wish some of it could wiggle its way backwards into TS2 because I'm admittedly quite selfish and I'd love to make sims with hairstyles that resemble my own. :P

Lurking since 10/2/07 ~ Call me Cheezy. ;)
Tumblr: http://mmmcheezy.tumblr.com/
Mad Poster
#4043 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 4:07 PM
How is it selfish to want to be able to make a Sim that bares resemblance with your own appearance, or what you are used to seeing? It's selfish of the white part of society to not understand that representation matters, just because they are unable to step outside of their own experience for a moment and think or listen. THAT is selfish. Wanting representation is not, that's being human.

If you have questions on how to use SimPE or WW, you're welcome to PM me.
Lab Assistant
#4044 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 4:24 PM
True, but I also feel a bit awkward complaining about it when I have the capability of solving my own problem(s) by learning to do the things that other creators, meshers, and CC creators do. I believe that's where the selfish feeling comes in -- instead of putting in the work myself, I'm choosing to feel somewhat disappointed because others aren't doing it for me. It's not for lack of trying since I've tried unsuccessfully to mesh things in the past, but converting meshes might be easier.

Eta: I guess what I'm trying to say is that no one should feel ashamed for wanting increased representation, but while I realize this I still feel a bit bizarre "ranting" about it.

Lurking since 10/2/07 ~ Call me Cheezy. ;)
Tumblr: http://mmmcheezy.tumblr.com/
Field Researcher
#4045 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 5:59 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 20th Jun 2018 at 6:21 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezypuff121P
True, but I also feel a bit awkward complaining about it when I have the capability of solving my own problem(s) by learning to do the things that other creators, meshers, and CC creators do. I believe that's where the selfish feeling comes in -- instead of putting in the work myself, I'm choosing to feel somewhat disappointed because others aren't doing it for me. It's not for lack of trying since I've tried unsuccessfully to mesh things in the past, but converting meshes might be easier.

Eta: I guess what I'm trying to say is that no one should feel ashamed for wanting increased representation, but while I realize this I still feel a bit bizarre "ranting" about it.


It's a pretty polite rant, so it's ok. I agree with you and I've made some effort to make my own game more of what I want to see.

Here's a couple things I was able to do with very little knowledge. Maybe something will be useful for you:



Since you have a foot in both communities, maybe you can talk to some of those in TS4 about collaborating with some meshers working in TS2. That'd be truly inclusive, right?
Lab Assistant
#4046 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 6:25 PM
Nice, @Sunrader! I've done similar things in my game. It really does help make the game experience more immersive by creating more unique backstories and sims.

My connection to the TS4 realm is more of a quiet-yet-critical observer at best (and a snarky heckler at worst ) so I'm not quite sure that would ever happen. I don't really play TS4, but I do end up seeing a lot of TS4 content on pinterest and tumblr and feel slight twinges of envy everytime lmao.

Lurking since 10/2/07 ~ Call me Cheezy. ;)
Tumblr: http://mmmcheezy.tumblr.com/
Instructor
#4047 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 7:13 PM
@cheezypuff121P, don't feel bad about not making things for yourself--at least not this time! I spent a good chunk of time last night trying to find a TS4 to TS2 hair conversion tutorial and came up empty. I even went to a few tumblrs of simmers I know that do conversions and still nothing. The gist of the related posts I found was that the creators didn't use/have a tutorial and used what they knew about converting from TS3 to make the conversion.

So, yeah, resources for TS2 aren't always available, . I would start with the TS3 to TS2 hair conversions tutorials, if you're serious. Sometimes simmers convert TS4 hairs to TS3 or simply make both. Those can be found on the TS2 tutorial database. As for clothes, though, there are some 4to2 tutorials out there. I can link the ones I found if anyone is interested.

"Enjoy the moment with all your might, whether it’s gloomy, whether it’s bright!"
Also known as Kelyns but you can call me KB.
Bored? Read the legacy I'll probably never finish.
Lab Assistant
#4048 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 7:29 PM
> be me
> be playing the curiouses
> vidcund gets abducted
> it was in his wants and it'd get him to platinum
> he returns
> platinum mood
> heckyeah.jpg
> he rolls another want
> i wait in anticipation
> 'meet aliens'
> goddamn it vidcund
Alchemist
#4049 Old 21st Jun 2018 at 5:19 AM
@cheezypuff121P
I bet if you went up to the WCIF part of the Sims 2 forum and asked for everyone to list their favorites and where to find them of the sort of hair you're looking for, maybe with a few real life pictures of what you want, you'd discover that a bunch of us have knowledge of where to look for something you want, or personal hordes of older cc that might need a little love to look up to date but would make a good base. You might not get everything you'd dream of, but I have a TON of really curly hairs in my game that are all Pookleted, so you might not like those textures, but knowing, say, that you want Nouk's meshes, or Hysterical Paroxysm's meshes, in whichever recolors, would probably help with your search terms if nothing else.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Page 162 of 162
Back to top