Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th May 2018 at 2:39 AM Last edited by Squidconqueror : 21st May 2018 at 6:38 AM.
Default How do I fix the clipping hands in Milkshape and the pink shirt texture bleeding into the jacket?
I'm so excited to be almost finished with making an outfit using parts from an adult male mesh and a child mesh from the game then I used 2 texture parts to and put in a leather jacket and replaced the texture, however there are two problems, the main one is that I messed by deleting the arms from the converted adult mesh so I used the ones from the child mesh and the hands are way out of proportion and they're clipping into the jacket and another one is that some of the shirt texture is bleeding into the jacket and there is white around the area where the hands go through. Other then that it's coming around nicely.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Echezzman Nwokeoma
staff: senior moderator
#2 Old 20th May 2018 at 7:34 AM
You have to reduce the clothing hand to fit the sims body mesh. Right now the hand of the clothing mesh is longer than the Sims hand
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th May 2018 at 3:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AdonisPluto
You have to reduce the clothing hand to fit the sims body mesh. Right now the hand of the clothing mesh is longer than the Sims hand

Thanks,it was a rather easy fix. All I had to do was drag the cuffs until the hands no longer clip through. I may adjust the sleeves later but it looks okay to me. All that's left to do now is fix the shirt texture bleeding into the jacket and the white around the cuffs of the jacket which I still don't know how to do.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th May 2018 at 6:17 PM
Maybe it's the texture you're using. If you put a new shirt in the space of the old shirt, you probably just need to trim the edges on the pink shirt texture a little.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st May 2018 at 9:03 AM Last edited by Squidconqueror : 21st May 2018 at 10:22 AM.
Yes I've got most of it fixed. Turns out that I had to tweak the UV Map to match the child body since the original jacket mesh was made for adult males. Only problem now is that I can't fix the texture on the neck. Anyways I can't wait to test it out in the game.
Oh and in game the jacket distorts itself when the child moves so it must have something to do with the bone assignments. It's really noticeable with the dance together animation.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  cfBodyLeatherJacket.zip (360.3 KB, 1 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Milkshape.zip (93.1 KB, 2 downloads) - View custom content
Mad Poster
#6 Old 21st May 2018 at 3:02 PM
If you move the mess around (like with the arms) the bone assignments will move around as well, so they probably need fixing.
For the neck, did you use the child neck or the adult male neck?
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st May 2018 at 5:30 PM
It's hard to explain but here's an avi and picture of the way the mesh distorts itself while the child is dancing. Then here's a picture of the way the bones are assigned.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Mesh distortion while child is dancing avi.rar (7.41 MB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Mad Poster
#8 Old 21st May 2018 at 9:58 PM
The first picure is a classic error from having the wrong settings in the comments. The "NumSkinWghts" needs to be set to "3" for all body meshes (it controls the blending between the bone weights), or half the joint references will just poof into non-existence, since "1" seems to support a max of 2 bones, "2" supports 3 bones, and "3" supports all 4 bones. You can see this from the stronger colors on your mesh as opposed to the weaker/blended colors on the body mesh, and the clearer boarders between the colors on your mesh.

It tends to happen if you re-import a mesh with the wrong comments into Milkshape. You can't fix that mesh, but you can fix the one you first edited, and export/import a new one. I think the new Blender plugins had some way you could add in the comments.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 21st May 2018 at 10:11 PM
The "NumSkinWghts" comment is only used by the Milkshape exporter and is not actually used inside the GMDC file. I'm not sure why the creator of the Milkshape plugins even added the comment, maybe it was due to a limitation in Milkshape.
Looking at the pictures It's quite clear that all your vertices only have a single bone influence.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 21st May 2018 at 11:11 PM
^ the "NumSkinWghts" comment does something to the bones, because if the number is lower then all the bones aren't read, and the weight gets transferred to the other bones. I've had this problem a few times when making accessories assigned to two or more bones (the ingame glasses are usually set to 1 instead of 3, because they only use the head bone), and I'd get the same issue if I didn't fix the comments. If you don't put in any comments in MIlkshape, meshes with skeletons won't work properly when exported.

No idea if or where the comments can be found in SimPE, but there are some settings in the GMDC they potentially may refer to, possibly having something to do with how the GMDC 'communicates' with the SHPE resource. It may be a Milkshape limitation, but if the same issue appears when exporting from Blender too, there may be something that needs seeing to with the plugins.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 21st May 2018 at 11:34 PM
^ Inside a GMDC file bone assignments(if present) are always saved as 4 bytes and weights as 3 floats, this is the only data inside it that refers to assignments and weights.
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st May 2018 at 11:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
The first picure is a classic error from having the wrong settings in the comments. The "NumSkinWghts" needs to be set to "3" for all body meshes (it controls the blending between the bone weights), or half the joint references will just poof into non-existence, since "1" seems to support a max of 2 bones, "2" supports 3 bones, and "3" supports all 4 bones. You can see this from the stronger colors on your mesh as opposed to the weaker/blended colors on the body mesh, and the clearer boarders between the colors on your mesh.

It tends to happen if you re-import a mesh with the wrong comments into Milkshape. You can't fix that mesh, but you can fix the one you first edited, and export/import a new one. I think the new Blender plugins had some way you could add in the comments.

I made sure that the NumSkinWghts is set to 3
(ModelName: body
Opacity: -1
HasTangentArray:
NumSkinWgts: 3)
I think it's just the bones that aren't assigned correctly.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 22nd May 2018 at 1:00 PM
Smugtomato, does this also happen when exporting with different settings in the "NumSkinWgts"? Maybe some of the info isn't used if the number is lower.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 22nd May 2018 at 6:01 PM
^I'm not sure how things work with the Milkshape exporter, I assume it's used for the fixing of bone weights in the plugin. My blender exporter doesn't use anything like it.
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 23rd May 2018 at 4:16 AM
Yeah I think I'll just go head on and try to reassign the bones. As you could in the picture the jacket distorts in 4 different directions and by checking the colors where the mesh distorts itself I kind of have a good idea about what I need to do to fix it. Shame that I could only find one tutorial about this and that's on hair. I guess I would have to keep playing around with the bone assignments.