Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 5:08 PM
Default Need a C# compiler for Sims 3.
I installed VCS 2017 for use with Unity.
VCS 2017 kills 2010 (it was wanton murder... patricide, imho) and I can't find my old VCS 2010 install package, and it's no longer on the Microsoft website.
I can't get rid of the references to system, system.xml etc. I can add most of the other sims 3 dlls. This restricts it to Microsoft Windows use.
Anyone get this working with either 2017 or mono that would be willing to post a tutorial?

Sims are better than us.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 6:10 PM
Use VC# 2008, nothing else. VS2017 is pain.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 7:49 PM
I am on Linux and absolutely in love with Monodevelop. I find it a lot better than the VS2007 I used before.
Here is a link to how to set it up: http://sims.pitchoon.org/monodevelop/XamarinTuto.html

Of course you would have to have a Linux install somewhere. But if those two Studios hinder each other you might need a Virtual Box anyway. Either make it a Windows Box and run VS 2008 or make it Linux and try MonoDevelop. Or maybe there are some other sandboxing utilities you could use to keep them from seeing each other?
Space Pony
#4 Old 28th Mar 2018 at 8:31 PM Last edited by Battery : 28th Mar 2018 at 8:57 PM.
Well youre not looking for a compiler but for an ide, i myself are using an older version of xamarin 5.10.1(see KittyTheSnowcat's post) but i think im switching to SharpDevelop 5.1 (did a test and it worked) (all of the above stated ides are freeware and dont require registering)
Scholar
#5 Old 28th Mar 2018 at 8:44 PM
I'm currently using VS2015 which is working for me. I have seen a few modders add Visual studio 2017 in the credits. So I'm guessing it can work too but as I don't have it myself I don't know how to help you.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Mar 2018 at 12:35 AM Last edited by Emmett Brown : 29th Mar 2018 at 12:46 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Armise
Use VC# 2008, nothing else. VS2017 is pain.

How do I get it? Microsoft doesn't seem to distribute 2008 anymore; the down load link gives you a power point about 2008.
I did find 2010, but it won't install as long as 2017 is on my computer. Either I need another computer, or take off 2017 which breaks Unity.
I think if I don't need to reference system, system.xml and mscore VS 2017 may be okay. I might give that a shot.

Sims are better than us.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Mar 2018 at 12:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KittyTheSnowcat
I am on Linux and absolutely in love with Monodevelop. I find it a lot better than the VS2007 I used before.
Here is a link to how to set it up: http://sims.pitchoon.org/monodevelop/XamarinTuto.html

Of course you would have to have a Linux install somewhere. But if those two Studios hinder each other you might need a Virtual Box anyway. Either make it a Windows Box and run VS 2008 or make it Linux and try MonoDevelop. Or maybe there are some other sandboxing utilities you could use to keep them from seeing each other?

For windows, I have to install monodevelop from source, an intimidating task; I'd rather just make a batch file and run it from the command line.

Sims are better than us.
Test Subject
#8 Old 29th Mar 2018 at 3:33 AM
Seconding skydome-- VS2015 also works fine for me. I remember not being able to reference a file or two, but manually editing the .csproj worked out.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 29th Mar 2018 at 7:02 AM
i don't think you need a new IDE what you need is a way to seperate your Unity and your Sims setup.
So look into Virtual Box or search for sandboxing utilities on Windows.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Mar 2018 at 3:13 PM
Virtual Box should allow me to run VC# 2008 and keep my VS 2017 for Unity - now all I need is to find one of my old Windows disks.

Sims are better than us.