Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Mar 2018 at 6:28 PM
Default Teen mesh doesn't show up in Bodyshop
I'm in the process of converting a hairstyle from Sims 3 to Sims 2 and came across a problem with younger ages. While the YA-E show up nicely in Bodyshop, teen and child ages look like they are missing the mesh - there is no hair or scalp, just a face.
I followed this tutorial for adult mesh.

Then I imported teen base body, hair and face in Milkshape. After that I imported adult GMDC (hair and hair_alpha5). I deleted adult hair and scaled and moved hair_alpha5 until it fit the teen head. Then I deleted teen base body and face and exported teen GMDC.
Following that, I opened the teen mesh I made earlier, following the tutorial, replaced original GMCD with my "teen GMDC", changed the gmdc name back to original name, committed and saved.
Then I opened the recolour package, where all the 3IDR resources were already linked to the corresponding meshes, and changed the property set of teen hair (added another group). I made sure that I changed the property set correctly and that the name of the hair_alpha5 matched the one in the property set.
After that, I saved, moved the teen mesh to downloads and opened Bodyshop.

I also tried with different base hair which had three groups (hair, hair_alpha3 and hair_alpha5) because I couldn't find a hairstyle with only two groups for all ages. In this case I did everything the same except changing the property set. Again, only YA-E hair showed up.

Should I have replaced all the gmdc's at once instead of going to Bodyshop to see if adult hair work?

I think it's unlikely for me to figure out this on my own. Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 19th Mar 2018 at 6:52 PM
Have you checked whether the joints are present in Milkshape, and whether your hair is still assigned to them? Most reference meshes don't have joints, so your scalp at least is probably not assigned.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 10:22 AM Last edited by tyraKeiraSims : 20th Mar 2018 at 1:22 PM.
I checked it out and the joints and weights are assigned correctly.
I tried something else:
Created a new recolour, extracted the mesh parts from it, fixed integrity, created new mesh packages for all the ages and linked the new mesh packages to the recolour package. I didn't do anything else, no replacing GMCDs or messing with property sets. Again, adult ages show up, children and teen are missing from Bodyshop. So the problem is definitely either in the way I created new mesh packages or the way I linked them to the recolour. I will get to the bottom of this, I can feel it!

Edit: I don't know how to quit so I'm still messing with different base hair and trying to figure it out. Now I managed to get teen hair to work when I linked children and toddler meshes to recolour. Weird.
Edit2: When I replace teen mesh, adult mesh gets replaced in bodyshop for some reason?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 11:55 PM
Check the UVmapping. If it's outside the designated square, hairs won't show. Usually it's enough to select all the faces and move the UVcoordinates back tot he proper area.

Also make sure the comments are proper. If you've done changes like adding and collapsing layers, extra lines in the comments may cause issues. Make absolutely sure that the "num-something" line says 3 and not 1. You also need to make sure the opacity line is correct. Can't remember the exact numbers, but the front and back layers of regular TS2 hairs have either negative or positive numbers each, and this decides the layering. If you use the wrong number, the hair may not show properly.

When replacing meshes in SimPE through teh 3DIR, don't look at the age in the last line. This is rarely true. Instead, compare the Material Definition instances (in the Resource View) with the MatDef lines in the 3DIR (should be the 3rd or 4th number, can't remember without looking). I've found that method to be a lot more trustworthy.

You did use the child and toddler skeletons for those hairs, right? Using the wrong age (sometimes also gender, for teen and up) skeleton may cause problems.

And finally, after each time you tinker with meshes and recolors, remember to delete the cache files. They sometimes save a "ghost" copy of the old file, and may cause the old mesh or recolor to show, and will occasionally seem to blow up the mesh even if it's perfectly fine (I've had these things happen several times)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 7:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
When replacing meshes in SimPE through teh 3DIR, don't look at the age in the last line. This is rarely true. Instead, compare the Material Definition instances (in the Resource View) with the MatDef lines in the 3DIR (should be the 3rd or 4th number, can't remember without looking). I've found that method to be a lot more trustworthy.

That's what I did wrong! Such a stupid mistake...
Thank you very much for your help, Nysha and simmer22! I would never had figured it out on my own!