Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 5:43 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Custom apartment glitches
I've started creating custom apartments, but I've had some issues that are seriously annoying and I'm looking for advice.

1) Whenever my sims go to take food from the fridge it charges per serving/meal like it does on community lots. My sims can put leftovers in the fridge, but there's no option to take the leftovers out. I also can't store fruits/fish/etc. There's no option to restock the fridge either as the food never runs out, it just charges every time you take food out. Very annoying, because who wants to pay for food every meal, amiright?

2) I can see into other sims' apartments. For example, I can see my neighbour in her apartment taking a shower, and hear all the water effects and everything. When I knock on the door, it says the sim is not available, yet I can call them on the phone and have them come over.

3) The bar in the common area has no option to do anything except "juggle tumblers." I've read elsewhere this might be because I don't have the apartment/community lot hack, but I could be wrong...?

The rest of the apartments function as normal (so far).

If anyone could give me some advice, that would be super helpful. I'm really at a loss.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 6:04 PM
I've seen the problem with the fridge somewhere before (probably around here somewhere). I think it turned out to be a problem with a custom refrigerator that wasn't updated or something? If it's a custom refrigerator, swapping it out for a Maxis one would be the easiest way to test this theory. The bar problem may be a similar matter, either a custom bar, or a BG Maxis bar which won't work except in a residence. Since it's in the common area, you won't be able to test this theory without the hassle of moving everyone out and changing the zoning back to residential - unless you had the forethought to make a backup of the building before you changed it to apartments and moved people in, in which case you can test with your back up.

The problem with seeing into other apartments but not being able to access them is probably an architectural one. If you use a custom arch that was made prior to AL inside an apartment, the game will read everything on the far side of that unit from the apartment door as being outside the apartment and therefore visible. Another possibility is that you used a Great Divide room divider, which doesn't play well with apartment coding even though it's Maxis, or made some other architectural boo-boo. Since editing apartment units is such a hassle, you'd do well to take a nice clear, close-up floorplan shot, using a screen capture program rather than the game camera, and attach it here so we can see what's going on and make suggestions before you start the tedious process of editing the building.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Mar 2018 at 7:29 PM
Thank you for your help. I've been playing around extensively with different apartments to replicate this and I seem to have found most of the problems.

The fridge problem was fixed by switching to another Maxis fridge. Not sure why the one I had used didn't work, but it's not a big deal. I also had the Great Divide room divider in some apartments, so that fix was easy. The bar was BG so I swapped it out and now it works.

The only problems I haven't been able to solve so far is the cost-per-meal fridge problem in a couple CC apartments I had downloaded which didn't use a room divider or arch and was in an open floor plan kitchen/dining room. There are some half-walls in that apartment so I'm not sure if that's causing the problem or not. I also couldn't figure out how to stop seeing sims in their apartments and not being able to visit them, but that's happened in my university lots so I figured it's just a global thing. Not a huge deal at any rate, just annoying.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 31st Mar 2018 at 7:55 PM
If you're having that problem with Maxis fridges, it makes me wonder if you have a mod in your game that is causing the problem. Do you have any mods/hacks that affect fridges or the way food is served?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 1:32 AM
The only fridge mods I have are one to change group meals into 8 servings instead of 6, and Cyjon's stuff your fat face. It's just annoying because it's the only building in my game that has this problem now. I guess I'll just have to play around with the floor plans to see if I can resolve it.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 1:46 AM
Is your building zoned as apartment?
Pictures of your floor plans might be helpful.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Field Researcher
#7 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 3:58 AM
Why wouldn't it be zoned as an apartment....???
Mad Poster
#8 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 4:20 AM
Some things the OP said are confusing, and/or do not apply to an apartment lot. This is why i am asking.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Link Ninja
#9 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 4:53 AM
I have had issues with floor dividers being recognized as walls and therefore outside of the apartment. This made it very hard for a sim who had a kitchen with the little floor dividers, I can't remember if it charge her for food but she couldn't just have dinner, she could only serve meals, and then after serving was when she could eat. TLDR; don't use floor dividers.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.