Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Aug 2017 at 11:26 PM
Default Is there a way to mark a Sim as "family" without designating a relationship?
So in my game, one of my Sims is caring for a baby whose parents are deceased. I want to keep the baby's family tree, so I did not use the Adoption method. However, I would like the baby to consider the people raising him as family members on the relationships tab. I don't care about them being added to the family tree. Is there a way to edit the relationship category for this? Master Controller doesn't allow it. I've heard the S3PE can do it, but their support website is gone and I can't find any tutorials other than for merging CC. Thanks!
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 12:22 AM
It probably can, but I can't really tell you how. backup your saved game.
Experiment.
If things get really messed up, restore the backup and try again.
If it seems to work, play that game for several real-time days to be sure that you haven't caused a hidden problem.
Then store the backed up save in a safe place, just in case.

You would be looking for the sims data inside the saved game. And you might have to change the data on each side of the relationship, so you would need to track down the parents, siblings, and possibly the extended family as well as the baby. But I would suspect that it's just a flag that needs to be changed, so it's not going to be a huge change once you find what you are looking for.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 1:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
It probably can, but I can't really tell you how. backup your saved game.
Experiment.
If things get really messed up, restore the backup and try again.
If it seems to work, play that game for several real-time days to be sure that you haven't caused a hidden problem.
Then store the backed up save in a safe place, just in case.

You would be looking for the sims data inside the saved game. And you might have to change the data on each side of the relationship, so you would need to track down the parents, siblings, and possibly the extended family as well as the baby. But I would suspect that it's just a flag that needs to be changed, so it's not going to be a huge change once you find what you are looking for.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know what data to look through? I read that I would need to edit the GameplayData.package, but I am unable to find that within my files.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 1:13 AM
Why can't you do that with NRAAS Master Controller cheats?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 1:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
Why can't you do that with NRAAS Master Controller cheats?

From my attempts using Master Controller, it only allows you to replace the parents. It doesn't allow you to modify the relationship to be a relative. You would need to make the person an actual aunt or sibling.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 6:51 AM
MC is limited like that because the game's structure is. TS3 requires a defined family relationship, there is no generic one. This is why, even with mods, we cannot create for example a grandparent and a grandchild without there being a (living or dead) parent in between. Or an uncle/aunt without there being a sibling relationship to a parent.

I think what's really missing here, if I'm following this correctly, is that there is no such thing as a specially defined step-parent relationship that does not override the birth parent one. That hurts, but not really seeing a way around it.